PDA

View Full Version : Saw Palmetto, Green Teal and Stinging Nettle

Angela75
April 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I've been taking these sups. for about 4 months now.. if not more. My question is - does anyone know if any of these actually reduce estrogen and raise testosterone?? i've been researching a cause of why this is happening to me (falling estrogen and higher T), and i immediately thought it might be one of these herbs. There is so much information out there that is contradictory, so i just wanted to see if you ladies knew anything about it...

Blue Bird
April 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I was taking saw palmetto along with some other "estrogenic" herbs and it activated a TE and I got zits and more facial hair. I would not take any herbs that claim to be hormone effecting....
The stinging nettle and green tea should be ok, but I would stop the saw palmetto.....

I would add rogaine or tricomin, and a topical DHT blocker such as revivogen and there are a few others you can get.

Nesi
April 12th, 2008, 03:57 PM
HI!
For people who suffer from AGA flax may not be so good. I heard about green tea raising dht and flax raising estrogen.
This might help.

In this article you'll learn the big mistake to avoid if you suffer from hair loss. You'll also be taught the REAL cause of Hair Loss and what to do about it so that you can EFFECTIVELY handle this problem - stop hair loss and start regrowth.

To understand the worst mistake you have to know what really causes hair loss. Now contrary to popular belief it is NOT testosterone that causes hair loss. Yes DHT (the aging hormone) is the last hormone in the chain of hormones that results in hair loss - but testosterone doesn't produce this DHT!

So what causes the production of DHT then? Well, the latest scientific research is proving beyond a doubt that it is ESTROGEN. And evidence suggests that by reducing estrogen in your body, you can stop hair loss and experience regrowth. In actual fact, it is a dominance of estrogen that is the root cause of hair loss in the first place!

So the hair loss equation follows like this:

Excess Estrogen = Excess DHT = Hair Loss (and other aging processes)

So now we come to the BIG MISTAKE...

In recent years it has become popular to take a supplement called flaxseed oil to help reduce hair loss. The theory on this is that flax contain "lignans" that stimulate hair follicles. But there is a major downside to this. Flaxseed oil produces a massive amount of estrogen in the body. This is a big no-no if you want to keep your hair.

So avoid making that mistake - don't take flax for your hair, as it will only speed up your hair loss.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Colin_Montanam
Estrogen Hair Loss
Info on Estrogen Hair Loss Your hair care shopping guide!

Angela75
April 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I can't use Rogaine... but, yeah, i did think about adding Revivogen if i take these herbs out of my daily oral regimen...

Hi, nesi... doesn't low estrogen cause hair loss as wel??

Nesi
April 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yes low estrogen and estrogen dominance both can cause hair loss. It's really confusing :(

Nesi
April 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Angela if you have low then maybe it's goodto take for a little bit ;) so you can raise it with flax

Angela75
April 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
if you take a birth control pill will that give you the exact amount of all hormones you need or is there a risk of getting too much of something with them?

ttc
April 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Birth control pills are at least regulated and the dosage is consistant, where as alot of the natural alternative treatments are not regulated and can vary. I'd be nervous about the saw palmetto. Also, evening primrose oil is supposedly better for hair than flax seed oil.

peekaboo
April 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have low progesterone and a high amount of estrogen. Are you saying that too much estrogen can cause dht and hair loss? If so, how do you lower the estrogen? I know they say that free testosterone can cause dht, but my free t is barely there, so I never worried about dht. But now I have too because of estrogen............geeesh, this is too much!

Angela75
April 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Peekaboo, there is something called Estrogen Dominance that DOES cause hair loss :( here is another link

http://www.safemenopausesolutions.com/e ... ptoms.html (http://www.safemenopausesolutions.com/estrogen-dominance-symptoms.html)