PDA

View Full Version : How often do you 'see' a wig/hair piece?

Katydid
December 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Ya'll talk about your wig radar, and I am wondering how often in the course of life do you actually see people wearing wigs/hair pieces?

I suppose because I am all new to this, I am just curious as to how common it is. I work as a manager in a fine dinning restaurant and I think I probably would see them fairly often if I could pick them out, just because it is the type of place people would want to look their best at.

Occasionally I see a bad toupee or a really elderly lady that is obviously wearing something to cover the effects of a medication, but I don't pick any out

so how common would you say it is?

HMH
December 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Not that often. I have seen maybe 3 in the last 6 months. Mostly I see that everyone has tons of nice hair. I do spot AGA much more often but usually it is the early stages.

michelesmith
December 20th, 2008, 06:00 AM
i dont see wigs or pieces at least ones that i could tell are, my husband wears a wig/topper and has for 20 years and NO one knows who met or meets him for example, but anyways i do see everywhere i go in stores and at my schools tons of women young and old but esp middle age with moderate to sevre balding crowns its amazing how many women are losing their hair these days i swear, i want to grab them and say hey try this and that lol

sadie_2008
December 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I've seen one "bad" wig - but never really spotted a wig/topper.

It is easy to spot hair extensions esp on platinum blonde haired women who have tons of hair which doesnt match their own roots.

I remember spotting Madonna in an episode of Friends once...she was sooooooooooo wearing a wig.

finaleofseem
December 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I agree. I see many more women who are thinning than I have seen with hairpieces. But it could be because my "hairpiece" radar isn't really all that refined, while my "Hey! She's thinning!" radar is pretty darned honed. :)

I'm not sure how common it is, but I look at it this way: I've probably seen a bunch that I didn't know were pieces. I mean, look at some of the very lovely pieces on this board. If you passed Alicat, Merry, Susie, Texas, HA, April, or Reverie on the street, you probably wouldn't know that they're wearing pieces. As we all know, not all pieces are made the same, but .... I figure there are some in Pittsburgh who have just escaped my eye.

Note: I just commented on topper/wig/system pieces I've seen lately. I didn't leave anyone out on purpose. All the pictures on the board are of loooooooooverly hair.

snowflake
December 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I don't notice too many wigs (only the awful old lady ones) but, I do notice an awful lot of hair thinning amongst women everywhere - all ages.

Janie-Ann
December 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I don't know if i'm spotting any more wigs or not, or I just think I am. Not in "real life" anyway. I do find when I see good hair, or lots of hair, on someone on TV, my first thought is "wig" and I watch like a crazy lady to see if their hair moves or they can run their fingers through it and it parts naturally.

Yesterday I caught a few minutes of the Bonnie Hunt show for the first time and I didn't pay attention to one second of her guests or what she was saying, I just kept trying to figure out if she was wearing a topper. I'm always suspicious when I see women who aren't teenagers with bangs, and Bonnie's had gorgeous hair throughout all her movies but always always the bangs. And immovable bangs at that.

(I'm obsessed with bangs b/c my hair is virtually gone at the front so my toppers have to have bangs... If i had a choice and it was my bio hair I was talking about, i would have gotten rid of them years ago.)

snowflake
December 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Yes, you are right people on t.v. do very often war wigs. Now, I am more aware then I used to be. I don't think the aveerage peron sees it just us ladies who have an interest in such things. :)

Deirdre
December 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hey- I've always worn bangs because I have such a huge high forehead. I mostly notice how thick people's hair is and mine isn't. When I see an orthodox Jewish couple I look at her hair and can tell that it is too thick- on top of bio hair but in the south there aren't many Jewish folks -orthodox or other wise.

snowflake
December 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Maybe there are more in New York? That's the way it seems like from t.v.

Vlal
December 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I've seen a few wigs, but I have never noticeably seen a topper. I think wigs are more obvious because they often have too much density of hair in the crown area or they have no part line.

I also notice far more thinning/balding hair as there seem to be a lot of women and girls suffering from that in my local town. :thumbdown2:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or perhaps it's a British thing, but girls who wear extensions seem to always have scraggly hair near their head as if they don't brush it. I don't know how else to describe it - it's like they got out of bed, but didn't brush their hair. I find that quite odd... like why would you want to look like that?! :dunno:

alicat
December 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have only seen 1 wig. That's it!

Katydid
December 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
yea, pretty much agree with what ya'll are saying.

Tonight I did see one wig and one man's hair piece. The wig was on an older lady (that was obviously ill, and I think her family was trying to take her out to a really nice dinner). The other was on an older gentleman where it WOULD have been really hard to detect except his topper was deep auburn and he had let his 'real' hair ring go very grey.

I have never seen a topper on a woman. I take that as a real plus too, because I KNOW I must see them, and they just aren't noticeable. yay for us!!

Man, I wish I could afford to just go out and buy one now! There needs to be a toppers-for-poor-people fund. hee hee

hwag5149
December 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
add my name to the list of recipients please.

finaleofseem
December 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM
And me!

I'd loooooove to get a small piece for when I wear my hair down ... but a law student budget just won't allow it.

Hayley
December 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or perhaps it's a British thing, but girls who wear extensions seem to always have scraggly hair near their head as if they don't brush it. I don't know how else to describe it - it's like they got out of bed, but didn't brush their hair. I find that quite odd... like why would you want to look like that?! :dunno:
I think i know what you mean.. its like barbie doll hair that hasnt been brushed in ages or is really tangled?

I've never noticed anyone in a wig, but i am always looking. Even with my friends these days i'm looking at their parts, thickness etc And i've definitely seen a few people with thinning or some sort of hair loss issues

Vlal
December 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
I think i know what you mean.. its like barbie doll hair that hasnt been brushed in ages or is really tangled?

I've never noticed anyone in a wig, but i am always looking. Even with my friends these days i'm looking at their parts, thickness etc And i've definitely seen a few people with thinning or some sort of hair loss issues

Yessssssssss Hayley - what a good description!! It looks so awful... like bed hair, but worse, that I cannot understand why anyone would want it like that. I wonder if it's hard to brush your hair with extensions in or something.

Down here there are so many women with hairloss - like if you went to my local town, you would come away having seen maybe I dunno like 5 in a 2 hour shopping trip. I wonder if there is something dodgy in the water!!

Deirdre
December 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah- that is why they have so many hair replacement places there!

nellas04
December 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
I have been looking at hair and scalps for years. I am honed in, so to speak. I see a full wig sometimes that looks a little fake, but usually it is because they are wearing a long blonde wig. Otherwise, I would not notice.

I have looked so close at head after head. I never notice a topper unless it is on a young girl and it is too different.

No one seems to notice mine, my two grown daughters have not noticed and neither has my 13 year old. I just get a lot of the "I love your new hair cut" comments.

bEST
sUSIE

Blue Bird
December 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I saw one today at lunch while leaving Petco. It was a lady in her 60's I am guessing and it was a bob-ish cut.

I also saw one in a market months back, on an older woman. It was blonde, and MATTED badly, and I felt bad!

I saw my first lace wig ever months back in a coffee shop. It was a BADLY applied one :shock: I dont think she applied it right cuz you could see the front edge and it was way too thick there.

Katydid
December 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
so it seems to conclusion is that the only way we notice wigs is when something is wrong, like matting, poor placement, or poor bonding.

I don't love HL but I am so thankful to be born into a generation with so many options!!!!

finaleofseem
December 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
:agree:

I'm not super keen about eventually needing to "wear" hair, but the options I've seen, while expensive, look pretty darn natural.

I was showing my boyfriend pics of some of the toppers on this site, and he was like, "I don't know that I can tell that's a wig" all of them. So that's encouraging. :)

sunnyone1
December 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
i heard that Judith Light, the actress who plays the mom (Mrs Mead) on Ugly Betty.wears a topper...always...not just in the show. Also, i live in Manhattan, and when I go to Macys in Herald Square I see tons of African American women wearing weaves and wigs. (Many wear their own natural, long hair, as well....sometimes straigtened and relaxed, sometimes curly and long...either way,it looks great !!)

adjusting
December 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I

finaleofseem
December 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Adjusting,

I can't speak for anyone but me, but for me it's not that I'm focused on any one person's hair. It's more that I notice hair more now that I'm losing mine. I don't spend any more time looking at anyone, but I'm really perceptive about hair details. They "stick out" to me, I guess. Like when a woman has a widening part, I notice, not because I'm staring, but because it's something that's so familiar to me.

:dunno:

sadie_2008
December 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
As women we notice what we're insecure about, well i do anyway! Growing up, and to some extent even now, i always noticed peoples noses cos i have a prominent one. Now i am more aware of how gorgeous someones hair is cos i have lost most of mine.

I'm sure there'll be another insecurity for the next decade in my life!

Adjusting - it's not something you focus on 24/7, it's just something one can become more "aware" of as they focus on their own situation much more.

nellas04
December 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment, but how do you accomplish your shopping, errands, eating out, etc., if you are focused in on checking everyone elses hair out? It would make me feel so uncomfortable if someone was "honing" in on my head and checking out to see if I wear a topper/hairpiece.

Let's face it. Hair is part of our beauty as a people. If it looks nice people notice and if it looks crappy people notice. This is why we get up each morning and wash and wax ourselves for the big world. I have been watching hair because I wanted to know what sort of oddities people have that are in natural hair. I look at bad color, good color, strange hair cuts, good hair cuts, interesting parts and mostly I am just making sure that mine is not any more unusual than other peoples hair. I think it is about finding a comfort level with my new hair.

Also, anyone can look as hard as they want at my new hair. I think they will only wonder even if they are nose to nose with me.

S

Janie-Ann
December 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment, but how do you accomplish your shopping, errands, eating out, etc., if you are focused in on checking everyone elses hair out? It would make me feel so uncomfortable if someone was "honing" in on my head and checking out to see if I wear a topper/hairpiece.

Multitasking!
:jump:

Katydid
December 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Yea, I think it's one of those things that because we tend to have insecurities in that area, you tend to notice it in others.

I have a friend that has fairly bad acne scarring. When we go out and do things, she hones in on people's complextion and stuff. Later on she will comment on someone's skin as though I notice with comments like "do you think that cashier we saw tans to be like that, or is she just naturally olive toned, or makeup?"

I am always like "what cashier? what color was she? what store?" lol It's just what she notices.

I personally would never stare at someone, esp. if I suspected they where wearing supplemental hair, but it is something I notice.

iisara21
December 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I was just watching the movie Love, Actually the other day and noticed that Laura Linney's character was definitely wearing a lace wig. There was an office scene where she was sitting at her desk in a fairly dark room with a desk lamp trained on her face, and it made the lace very noticeable. I was shocked! I had no idea she was wearing hair before that moment!

nellas04
December 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Houston personalities that wear toppers.

Channel Two News anchor 's Dominique Sacshe and Rosanne Rogers. They both go to the same shop I go to.

Also Mariska Hargitay the actess wears and topper and so does Diane Keaton.

Check them out.

finaleofseem
December 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Diane Keaton, really?

I would never have thought. Well, that makes me love her even more than I already did.

Also, @Sara: I had to go find that scene in the movie and ... what do you know! I had never noticed before!

iisara21
December 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
OMG! I have been jealous of Mariska Hargitay's hair for, like, forever and a day! I had no idea.

finaleofseem--you know, it's weird...I had noticed something going on with that a few years back when I first saw the movie, but I thought it was just a really awful makeup job. Now I know better! Well, it was definitely a great wig. Completely undetectable throughout the rest of the movie.

Vlal
December 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I also saw one in a market months back, on an older woman. It was blonde, and MATTED badly, and I felt bad!

When I was at university, I studied Yiddish for 3 years and took one of my classes with a girl who had just got married. She was religious Jewish and started wearing what was either a wig or a 'fall' (as she always wore a hat with it) and it was awful. I knew it was the same colour as her original hair because obviously I had seen her bio hair before she got married (she had lovely bio hair), but the hair piece was clearly synthetic and it was so frizzy and matted and awful... I felt really bad for her that she had to wear it when she had such beautiful bio hair underneath!! :roll:

Merry
December 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I can spot them a mile away (exaggerating here!)

Sure the bad ones are easy, but a trained eye can detect some of the really well done hairpieces and wigs. I point them out to my husband, tell him the clues, and then he smiles and says......wow, you are right! The average person not looking for it would never know.

But, so what!?!? This will never be our bio hair and all we can do is the best we can.

I wish I could see, and I wish I knew many more women close to me wearing supplemental hair so I could feel more normal. At least this board is a big help!

M

missmyhair
December 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I can spot them a mile away (exaggerating here!)

Sure the bad ones are easy, but a trained eye can detect some of the really well done hairpieces and wigs. I point them out to my husband, tell him the clues, and then he smiles and says......wow, you are right! The average person not looking for it would never know.

But, so what!?!? This will never be our bio hair and all we can do is the best we can.

I wish I could see, and I wish I knew many more women close to me wearing supplemental hair so I could feel more normal. At least this board is a big help!

M

Hi Merry! As you said, the bad ones are easy to spot, but do you see "good" ones often??

Sometimes I'm just dying to see someone on the street w/ a good one, so I don't feel so alone!!

Katydid
December 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I wish I could too, see a good hairpiece I mean.

I think I saw a really good wig the other day. I wouldn't have thought it, but the hair was styled in such a way to where none of the natural hair line showed, and it appeared that there was just a bit too much hair around the top and crown (where there should have been a natural thinning)

Also no strong part was visible. In retrospect, I am pretty sure it was a synthetic. A very beautiful one though, it was quite lovely.

SarahConnor
December 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM
It's funny, when I first read this thread a few days ago I thought that while I'm out and about doing all my Christmas shopping, I'm going to see how many I can spot. As with many of us with hair loss, it just tends to be something that I hone into naturally. A little old lady that works in a shop near me has a really bad wig and I feel awful for her, it just sits on top of her head like some kind of pet that doesn't move. I only seem to see the bad ones. I actually saw two men that had just awful pieces. I figured if I was a guy I would just embrace the bald look like all the men in my family but I guess some men have the same inseurities as we do. Then I saw a little girl who had an actually nice wig, I wouldn't have noticed it at all if it wasn't for the fact that she didn't have any eyebrows or eyelashes - not sure if she had AU or was undergoing chemo or something. My sister in law wears one after undergoing chemo for breast cancer and I don't think most people would know that she wears a wig if she wouldn't keep picking it up to fan off the top of her head! If only I could be that carefree!

Katydid
December 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
A little old lady that works in a shop near me has a really bad wig and I feel awful for her, it just sits on top of her head like some kind of pet that doesn't move.

That is HE-larious! Pet that doesn't move. hee hee. Poor thing.

Yea, I have noticed that people going through chemo seem to be much more realistic (and almost comfortable) with their HL.
I have always believed it is because they are dealing with REAL problems (life and death) and that puts HL in it's true perspective.

aed1127
December 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I don't see them very often but the bad ones do stand out. What I do notice is hair loss and as some of you have pointed out, there are a lot more women out there with it. I also notice the women who have beautiful hair but I skip the pages in the magazines. Hair is the first thing I notice on a person b/c I've worried about mine for so long. However I do think we hone in on it much more than the average person.

nellas04
December 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM
All I can say is "Let them wonder." If you or someone else is wondering then they don't know do they? I love it.

I never look at men because I could care less what their heads look like and I can only wonder when I see a great head of hair on women.

S

Vlal
December 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
A bit OT, but I do think bald men look lovely and I can never understand why they might want to wear a piece... but then again, maybe their head gets cold like mine or something?!

Katydid
December 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
A bit OT, but I do think bald men look lovely and I can never understand why they might want to wear a piece... but then again, maybe their head gets cold like mine or something?!

You know, at work tonight, I greeted a couple of customers, where the woman had HL issues, and I noticed the man was wearing a hair piece. It sortof struck me odd that the man had taken the plunge and the woman hadn't.

(I wish I could casually snap a picture of these folks . . .I could walk by all nonchalant like this: :whistle: then take a picture of their hair :hairy: still looking totally innocent :innocent:) Sounds like a perfect plan, right?

Anyway, his was pretty good, though it does seem much easier to tell the men's that it is women's (it was the curly up top type). I suppose it is b/c women have so much more leadway in our hairstyles and in general more hair to work with.

nellas04
December 28th, 2008, 03:16 PM

I have to agree with you on this. Men look good no matter what their hair looks like, this is why I never look at their hair loss.

Honestly, we women should get a break as well. I notice women with hair loss, but never judge them. I am excepting of any choice that any person makes with regards to their personal appearance. Maybe we can help other be more accepting as well.

finaleofseem
December 29th, 2008, 02:11 AM
:agree:

Preach it, sister. It's about being comfortable in your own skin. My best friend's mom has visibly thinning hair, but it doesn't bother her. And honestly, I've stopped noticing it most of the time now. Of course, I don't have that kind of serenity, and I'll be buying some hair. :)

Vlal
December 29th, 2008, 06:31 AM
It's about being comfortable in your own skin. My best friend's mom has visibly thinning hair, but it doesn't bother her. And honestly, I've stopped noticing it most of the time now. Of course, I don't have that kind of serenity, and I'll be buying some hair. :)

Ah, but what I think feels good there is the choice... it is all about the feeling of choice. I feel so much better now I choose what to do with my hair... one day I feel like wearing my straggly bald bits out and about, another day I choose to wear a scarf, another day I wear a hat, a wig and so on.

The times when I have felt awful have been the times when I have felt a lack of choice. I have felt as if this HL has been forced upon me and not known what to do... like if people are coming over and I don't know what to do about my hair and it leaves me feeling scared and backed into a corner.

Once I started accepting that I have a choice over what to do and how I look... the burden seemed so much lighter.

Merry
December 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Vlal ~ Have you ever posted pics of yourself with a scarf on? How do you wear your scarves?

It seems like more women from other countries make scarves a part of their wardrobes. Absolutely no one around here, where I live, wears them. It is too bad they are not more mainstream.

M

Vlal
December 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Vlal ~ Have you ever posted pics of yourself with a scarf on? How do you wear your scarves?

It seems like more women from other countries make scarves a part of their wardrobes. Absolutely no one around here, where I live, wears them. It is too bad they are not more mainstream.

M

Ooh yes there are pics of me with them on... I shall find them for you...

Scarves are not mainstream here either, but what the h*ck.. I just wear them and for some reason no one seems to bat an eyelid... maybe it's my evil stares back haha - not really.

Ok here you go - http://heralopecia.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6350

I could not survive without them!

Merry
December 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Vlal ~ I don't think I ever saw those. You are darling. Your style is completely different than I pictured you. I pictured you dressing more funky looking, and you are proper and conservative.

You have a great face.....young and fresh. I could see you with the bald look and some hoop earrings and awesome makeup.......no, this is not CAROL talking here!

You could pull off several different looks and I'm happy for you that you feel comfortable with your hair/scarf options.

Take care,
Merry

Vlal
December 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Vlal ~ I don't think I ever saw those. You are darling. Your style is completely different than I pictured you. I pictured you dressing more funky looking, and you are proper and conservative.

You have a great face.....young and fresh. I could see you with the bald look and some hoop earrings and awesome makeup.......no, this is not CAROL talking here!

You could pull off several different looks and I'm happy for you that you feel comfortable with your hair/scarf options.

Take care,
Merry

Thanks Merry. You made me laugh with proper and conservative!! I am quite conservative I guess. I like comfort. I am not very good with fashion - I have always been overweight as an teenager/adult so I find it hard to feel confident and I think that has affected my confidence with fashion! I tend to shop out of necessity.

Of course that does not relate to my wig and scarf buying... there seems to be little logic when it comes to those babies and I have to admit I spend way too much time looking related sites.

I do have picture that our friend Carol would be proud of... (though I was not sensually smooth ;) )

michelesmith
December 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM

It seems like more women from other countries make scarves a part of their wardrobes. Absolutely no one around here, where I live, wears them. It is too bad they are not more mainstream.i agree mary, i live in upstate NY and if you wore one they would tihnk you were having chemo but when i see women from other countries they ALL wear scarves hair or not and it looks great and fashionable! (ya know with dangly earrings and sensual stockings is it LMAO........

M

mandymane
December 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I was shopping on Black Friday and I saw a younger lady with a wig, but of course, it wasn't a good wig so it was easy to spot. I actually know a friend's sister that has a bonded piece. She had cancer and major brain surgeries so her hair will only come back in spots so she decided to finally get a wig, although I have to say, she looked pretty good bald and wore bandanas and scarfs. Anyways, the hair color and everything is great, but the part is not good. I don't know if it is the piece itself or if it is the stylist that flattens the top down, it just looks really matted and flat there. I want to tell her about the awesome pieces online, but I don't want her to know about my hair loss, but I know she could find a much better piece. I don't want anyone to know if I am wearing a piece but I think I would die if someone asked me or outed me, I guess it is something I need to get over.

adjusting
December 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
V

finaleofseem
December 30th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Vlal, we have pretty similar body types, and I also tend to be a conservative dresser, for the same reasons. But you're absolutely adorable, lady. And even though I have an oval face and pretty OK features, I'm not sure I'd look as good shaved as you do!

Mandymane -- that's really a pickle! You want to help, but it's hard to admit to wearing a piece. I'm sure, though, that this woman would be probably the most sympathetic person out there to tell, and wouldn't "out" you. I was going to say that you could just pass it off as having done research for her on pieces, but if she's already wearing one, that would be insulting to her current piece.

Katydid
December 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I actually know a friend's sister that has a bonded piece. She had cancer and major brain surgeries so her hair will only come back in spots so she decided to finally get a wig, although I have to say, she looked pretty good bald and wore bandanas and scarfs. Anyways, the hair color and everything is great, but the part is not good. I don't know if it is the piece itself or if it is the stylist that flattens the top down, it just looks really matted and flat there. I want to tell her about the awesome pieces online, but I don't want her to know about my hair loss, but I know she could find a much better piece. I don't want anyone to know if I am wearing a piece but I think I would die if someone asked me or outed me, I guess it is something I need to get over.

Are you close or connected with her at all? Obviously she must be fairly open about having a hair piece? so, could you "get interested" in it for her, and help her 'research' some info online.

You could even google something and come upon this site. Find somewhere you want her to discover, and experiment with what you need to type into google for it to come up on the first page. Then type that in when you are using the search engine, then 'randomly' select the site you want her to see.

Just an idea, and the opportunity may present itself

mandymane
December 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all your advice. Okay, I am very close with her sister, who knows nothing about my hairloss situation (besides it looking like **** everyday), but she is such a nice person she would never say anything like that. As for the person that has the hairpiece, it is her sister that has had several brain surgeries so she is a little "out there" so to say. She is a very caring, nice person, but I think with having so many surgeries she has lost a little bit of her mind so to say. Does that make sense? I think she is also so much happier having hair finally that she probably thinks it does look good, but when I see all the ladies on here with great pieces it makes me think of her. It is hard to know what to do, because as finalofseem says, I don't want to insult her current piece, but would I wear it, NO!. I think it looks great except for the part area and I KNOW she could find a better piece, but maybe she is happy with it too, she is a very happy go lucky person that I am very fond and proud of for living through cancer and brain surgeries and still feels good about herself, I feel selfish for feeling like I do with my hair loss when things could be so much worse for me, kwim??

nellas04
December 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
OK... I saw an elderly black man sitting in Starbucks yesterday. He had on a full afro wig from the 70's. It was a priceless antique.

I passed the nail lady test yesterday with my topper. My often insulting nail lady did not notice the topper, but she did comment that she did not like my new short hair cut. WHATEVER! If she did not do my nail so well I would find someone else.

missmyhair
December 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
My often insulting nail lady did not notice the topper, but she did comment that she did not like my new short hair cut. WHATEVER! If she did not do my nail so well I would find someone else.

OMG! Who says something like that????

snowflake
December 30th, 2008, 11:28 AM
An insulting nail lady. Hope u don't tip.

nellas04
January 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have a funny wig story. I was 5 years old and I wanted a long blonde wig for x-mas. My sweet mom bought it from Kmart. She helped me bobbi pin it to my head and i wore it to school. I told everyone my hair grew over night. I felt so beautiful with my flowing long hair. My teacher never said a word. After lunch my wig slid halfway off and then finally when only a few pins were barely holding it on my sweet teacher helped me take it off and she put it in a bag and I took it home; never to forget my embarrassing day with a wig or the kindness at indulging my behavior and wishes.

I have wondered over the years why my mother let me wear the wig to school and I have thought about how hard it must have been for the teacher to keep a straight face when I told her my hair grew overnight. It is ironic that I must wear a wig now. Moral of the story is "Be careful what you wish for"

missmyhair
January 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I have a funny wig story. I was 5 years old and I wanted a long blonde wig for x-mas. My sweet mom bought it from Kmart. She helped me bobbi pin it to my head and i wore it to school. I told everyone my hair grew over night. I felt so beautiful with my flowing long hair. My teacher never said a word. After lunch my wig slid halfway off and then finally when only a few pins were barely holding it on my sweet teacher helped me take it off and she put it in a bag and I took it home; never to forget my embarrassing day with a wig or the kindness at indulging my behavior and wishes.

I have wondered over the years why my mother let me wear the wig to school and I have thought about how hard it must have been for the teacher to keep a straight face when I told her my hair grew overnight. It is ironic that I must wear a wig now. Moral of the story is "Be careful what you wish for"

LOL that is just too funny, nellas!!

MariaT
January 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
What I don't understand is why some men insist on wearing really ridiculous hair pieces when it's generally acceptable for a man to be bald! There's a guy that I work with that wears such a bad toupee. He would look so much better without anything at all.

iisara21
January 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
What I don't understand is why some men insist on wearing really ridiculous hair pieces when it's generally acceptable for a man to be bald! There's a guy that I work with that wears such a bad toupee. He would look so much better without anything at all.

Lol. He's a guy, end of story. Either he doesn't notice that it looks bad because he's a guy, or he doesn't care that it looks bad...because he's a guy. Ah, now I can check "gender stereotyping" off of my list of things to do for the week. :)

Vlal
January 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM

I know, I don't understand that either! :roll:

alicat
January 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
How do you know, though? I can't see any and I'm trying my hardest! Surely I'm not the only one wearing hair in my city?

Vlal
January 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
How do you know, though? I can't see any and I'm trying my hardest! Surely I'm not the only one wearing hair in my city?

It's easier to spot the perhaps not so good ones...

Look at part line (or lack of it), extra dense hair, hair that is a very flat colour (no natural highlights), hairline around front of head, extremely shiny hair (synthetics), hair that just looks a bit 'odd' or 'wrong'!

I saw a lady today in the post office and I have NEVER seen anything like her hair/wig. It was amazingly strange... it was like an 'off' version of a graduated bob. It stuck out the back of her head so far... I just couldn't believe it. There is NO way that her hair could have been that thick... it's a bit like looking at Marge Simpson and thinking her hair is real! ;)

alicat
January 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I guess it's just that lots of ppl have crazy thick/dense hair, so I can't tell if it's real or fake!

nellas04
January 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I guess it's just that lots of ppl have crazy thick/dense hair, so I can't tell if it's real or fake!

I agree with you. I only notice the elderly with bad pieces. I think I am the only one in Houston wearing a piece too, but I know my salon sees 55 people a day so there must be a few.

I went to a party last night and saw a bunch of people from my high schools days. (wasn't expecting that) No one noticed my piece. I am sure of it.

Nellas

Nellas

Vlal
January 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I think I am the only one in Houston wearing a piece too, but I know my salon sees 55 people a day so there must be a few.

That is because they are so realistic and integrated into the hair. :mrgreen:

Generally one notices the more wiggy pieces that don't look realistic.

alicat
January 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I think I am the only one in Houston wearing a piece too, but I know my salon sees 55 people a day so there must be a few.

I hope mine isn't wiggy :shakehead:

nellas04
January 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I hope mine isn't wiggy :shakehead:

Mine is a full topper it is not intergrated, but it is realistic. I think it is just nice to have hair, even if we have to buy it. :jump:

nellas04
January 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I saw one today. I was in the Courthouse and I saw a lady with a puffy stiff topper. It looked OK, but was old fashioned looking. I think she has had it a while.

BUT, I would not bet my life on it, but I would bet $100! It could have been her own hair, but I really don't think it was.

But once again, even we wig wearer have trouble making the CONFIRMATION. Which I think is a good thing, by the way.

hwag5149
January 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I have a picture of me Halloween 07 putting on the most ridiculous wig (it was George Washington-ish) at the halloween store. When I found the pic recently I was sad cuz i was joking about wigs and now my hair is leaving :(

Vlal
January 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
((hugs)) Schwag

I used to say when it was hot in the summer: "Oh I wish I could shave all my hair off, it's too hot" :roll:

I got my wish! :whistle:

nellas04
April 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I saw a wig today on the most unusual woman. She was obviously very accustomed to wearing it. She had put it on her head without looking in the mirror. It had a nasty "rats Nest" in the crown and it was a stiff flattened mess around her face. It was Blonde too Blonde with no dark roots. It was very obvious.

The poor woman was young, but very unkept she was at a local eatery. She was just whacked with three kids and her husband never said a word to her. She was biting her fingernails and chewing on her fingers. She was putting on makeup at the table and she already had tons of yesterdays make-up on. It was just the strangest sight.

She did not appear ill, but that would not be an excuse for her appearance. Anyway, I most likely wouldn't have notice had she not been lazy about her appearance. She had really let herself go. This is a great lesson for all of us wig wearer not to get lazy. We could easily look foolish and I never want to look foolish!

It was sad.

nellas04
April 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
OMG! I saw the exact same woman with the exact same hair issue on Sunday at the Grocery Store. I can't believe it and I can't believe that she wore that wig again without combing it.

****, no wonder her husband is speaking to her. She doesn't even care about herself!

If I see her again, I wonder if I should say something as a fellow wig wearer?

Vlal
April 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe she doesn't have any money for a new one? It sounds like it is a synthetic with permatease issues.

nellas04
April 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe she doesn't have any money for a new one? It sounds like it is a synthetic with permatease issues.

She did not appear poor they were driving a nice Mercedes She was just so whacked. I am thinking the perma-tease is not the best option.

Anyway, it was the worst one I have seen on a young person.

kaylee
April 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I am now dying to see this girl!..and her wig :shock:

She is prob just lazy or doesnt have the time. Or even worse, doesn't care! Sadly, there are people like this! :( :(

Katydid
April 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM

(

Nellas can you do the walk by camera phone trick for us please?? :innocent:

We are interested . . .

:whistle:

kaylee
April 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM

(

Nellas can you do the walk by camera phone trick for us please?? :innocent:

We are interested . . .

:whistle:

LOL! :mrgreen:

nellas04
April 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Honestly, I tried to take a phone picture and for some reason my phone camera wasn't working. I never use it, so I might have done something wrong. I had my Blackberry but I was afraid to flash! Oh well maybe next time.

Vlal
April 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM
OMG we are like wig spies...

I find it so strange that someone has a nice car but would wear a birds nest of a wig! I would rather wear a scarf than wear a horrible looking wig.

nellas04
April 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM

I find it so strange that someone has a nice car but would wear a birds nest of a wig! I would rather wear a scarf than wear a horrible looking wig.

Believe me this wig episode is not about money. I will see her again I am sure of it. That hair really sticks out and she lives somewhere around me. This is a good lesson.

I do see what i think may be wigs sometimes, but I can never really tell for sure. I just see the great hair and wonder or wish I had that great hair if it is real.

kaylee
April 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Wouldn't we all DIE if people were talking about us (which I doubt they are, but you know what I mean ;)) and our hair pieces like this!!!! LOL

The Poor lady...

kaylee
April 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM

Believe me this wig episode is not about money. I will see her again I am sure of it. That hair really sticks out and she lives somewhere around me. This is a good lesson.

I do see what i think may be wigs sometimes, but I can never really tell for sure. I just see the great hair and wonder or wish I had that great hair if it is real.

Oh nellas try to get a pic. I NEVER see things like this where I live.

nellas04
April 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
If I see her again. I am going to ask her if she has ever heard of Flora or Tom and see if she bites. Then we can talk.

kimm
April 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
I wonder if she's severely depressed?

It would stand to reason that if you're super depressed that you don't have the energy to care about your appearance.

If hair loss is the reason then I'm sure a good supplemental hair solution and talking to someone who looks awesome with one (nellas!)
would really help!

Let us know if you have a chance to talk to her and how it goes!

nellas04
April 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Actually I thought the same thing. She looks so out of sorts and did not speak to her husband or the lady that was eating with them. She seemed very depressed to me. I hope I see her again. I am going to speak to her.

And thank you for your kind words.

I wonder if she's severely depressed?

It would stand to reason that if you're super depressed that you don't have the energy to care about your appearance.

If hair loss is the reason then I'm sure a good supplemental hair solution and talking to someone who looks awesome with one (nellas!)
would really help!

Let us know if you have a chance to talk to her and how it goes!

Janie-Ann
April 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM
OMG, please don't say anything to this woman. You have no idea what's going on in her life or in her head. And it's really unlikely that she's going to respond with, "Oh, thank you so much for telling me. I had no idea I looked so bad, thank you, it's really helpful for you to point out to me that you've noticed my wig looks like ****. How kind of you -- I'll change it immediately."

Obviously if she's putting on more makeup over yesterday's make up, she's got a problem.

You wrote about how compliments about your hair make you feel so good. I don't think you'll make this poor unfortunate woman feel any better or that you will be helping her. And ultimately it just might make you feel worse about yourself...

nellas04
April 21st, 2009, 08:50 PM
OK I won't say anything. I don't think she was ill but I don't know why that would be a reason to have your hair in a mess. Her arms looked like they worked and her eyes look like she could see, so for all intensive purposes she should be able to to see and fix herself. You are right. It is not up to me to educate her and foolish of me to think I should say something to her. She looked like she needed more than a good wig or a wiggy friend. :hairy:

OMG, please don't say anything to this woman. You have no idea what's going on in her life or in her head. And it's really unlikely that she's going to respond with, "Oh, thank you so much for telling me. I had no idea I looked so bad, thank you, it's really helpful for you to point out to me that you've noticed my wig looks like ****. How kind of you -- I'll change it immediately."

Obviously if she's putting on more makeup over yesterday's make up, she's got a problem.

You wrote about how compliments about your hair make you feel so good. I don't think you'll make this poor unfortunate woman feel any better or that you will be helping her. And ultimately it just might make you feel worse about yourself...

MariaT
April 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ohhhhmygoodness
I saw one woman yesterday at a doctor's office she had the most horrid wig. It was literally a clown looking type of wig with big curls in an awful shade of brown. I wonder if she lost her hair suddenly like chemo or AA and this was the fastest thing she could get to cover up with. I felt horrible for this woman.

Vlal
April 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I have noticed that women going through chemo often end up with really awful synthetics... I guess when you are going through such trauma you kinda don't have time or energy to worry and just accept what you get given... because often there are services providing these wigs to women or for them to buy from (like suggested retailers/stores). If you are really sick and perhaps even dying, are you really going to have the time and inclination to go and find a good wig store and find out what makes a good wig? I guess perhaps not! Also, money is sometimes a factor if sick and not working etc.

kaylee
April 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
My mom notices wigs ALL the time now (thanks to me.. :$ ). Everytime I talk to her shes like "omg I saw this lady with this wig on the other day and you could totally tell"! Blah, blah, blah...

There is also this women she works with who she thinks wears a wig because she has such pretty hair. My mom says her hair looks really pretty but the parting is weird!

nellas04
April 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
One of my best friends is going through Chemo. I told her that I would help her find a great wig and at first she was like " oh that is wonderful" Then I call her a few times to set it up and she says after about a week, "oh the doctor mailed me a few, they will be fine"

I guess she has it all in prospective as Vlal said, but for many of us it is vanity. I know it is for me.

I actually thought a woman that may have been wearing a wig today, and only because her hair was stunning and the style was familiar, if you know what I mean. She looked beautiful and of course no one but me was wondering.

alicat
April 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I actually thought a woman that may have been wearing a wig today, and only because her hair was stunning and the style was familiar, if you know what I mean. She looked beautiful and of course no one but me was wondering.

Hehe. I am waiting until the day I come face-to-face with a wig wearer. I wonder what we'll both think as we stare at one another?

Vlal
April 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
Then I call her a few times to set it up and she says after about a week, "oh the doctor mailed me a few, they will be fine"

That's really amazing - the doctor mailing them!! I find that really interesting.

I know what you mean about 'the style'. I do think it is sometimes not just the look - e.g. shiny, perfect, maybe strange part line - but actually the style of the haircut and just the way it hangs that can be a dead give away. Also of course there are sometimes density issues (e.g. lady that had Marge Simpson's hair sticking out the BACK of her head at the Post Office). There are some definite give aways with synthetics and give aways with human hair and I think the more you deal with wigs and understand how they are made, the more you start to spot them!

Katydid
May 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
Then I call her a few times to set it up and she says after about a week, "oh the doctor mailed me a few, they will be fine"

That's really amazing - the doctor mailing them!! I find that really interesting.

I know what you mean about 'the style'. I do think it is sometimes not just the look - e.g. shiny, perfect, maybe strange part line - but actually the style of the haircut and just the way it hangs that can be a dead give away. Also of course there are sometimes density issues (e.g. lady that had Marge Simpson's hair sticking out the BACK of her head at the Post Office). There are some definite give aways with synthetics and give aways with human hair and I think the more you deal with wigs and understand how they are made, the more you start to spot them!

What tells me it's a wig more often than not now (unless it's just painfully obvious) is the hair colors people go for. Usually it's the blonde ones and there is no way real hair could have those types of colors in it!

I saw a lady the other day in the restaurant, she had a really nice wig on, and I wouldn't have even noticed but the hair was a laffy taffy blonde. Across the room, I noticed the color as being totally unnatural, and sort of 'honed' in on it from there.

Up close I realized it was a Racheal Welch (sp) and I had seen the style before. In a different color it would have been a great wig . . and the style suited her nicely.

Also there is a lady that comes in quite often, that wears a wig. She and her husband live in a really nice downtown loft and they often meet friends at our bar. Anyway, when she first started wearing it, it was obvious because of rookie mistakes (put on poorly, bio hair showing, the very 'stiff' way she held her head) I have noticed lately that it has gotten MUCH better, she is more confident with it, the parting is better, no bio hair showing, less 'hardline', and she is experimenting with little hair clips and such. I still think she would benefit from a more updated style, but at least now it just looks like a 'dated style' and not a bad wig.

Often it's just a matter of getting used to the wig and making it your own.