female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced Member

Wearing a wig if bald

Hi ladies. I'm seriously considering going to have what little bit of hair I have remaining shaved off. It's just too depressing every day and every night to see all the strands in the shower, on the pillowcase, on my clothes.

My question is, once I go bald, how does that affect wearing a wig? Do you still wear a wig cap? Does the wig stay in place as well? I know it's got to make it a little bit cooler though, right?

Your expert opinions are soooo helpful to me!

Re: Wearing a wig if bald

A question I can answer

I don't wear any kind of wig cap. There really is no reason to if you do not have hair. As long as your wig fits you or you have it adjusted to fit you, it shouldn't move around. Being bald doesn't affect that. I even own toupee tape and and one of those gel headbands to wear underneath, and I haven't worn either in months because there's really not reason to if you have a comfy enough wig.

I can't promise wearing a wig will ever be "cool" but certainly it will be cooler than with hair and a wig cap.

Are you going to get it shaved somewhere or doing it yourself? It's actually pretty easy to just take a razor to your head in the same way you would your legs. It's a really easy area to shave. (Apparently the hardest parts are behind your ears, but I never had to shave that because I didn't have hair there)

Experienced Member

Thanks meowchica, that's great to know, gives the idea an added bonus! I have found my wig to be great in so many ways, except for the fact that it is soooo hot. I have a very sensitive internal thermostat anyway, and our weather here in VA has been unseasonably warm already, and wow, that feeling of having two wool caps on my head is very uncomfortable already, so I cannot imagine how it's going to feel in August! Plus I find that the wig cap is very irritating to my scalp so it will be nice to be able to get rid of that.

I am actually planning to go to the stylist I've been using for about 5 years now - haven't made an appt. yet but plan to do so soon. She is very compassionate about my condition, and will be more than happy to "do" me without any other clients present, so I can avoid a little bit of embarrassment. I suppose I could do it myself, but I think I'd rather have her do it for me the first time, you know? Just gotta get up the nerve to go ahead and "git-r-done"!!

Thanks again for your reply.

marsha

I think its a great idea to shave your head ( I wish I would have done this when I was 14) and even though its scary and sad, I think you will feel a lot better!!

Experienced Member

Yes, BB, I think I'll feel better too....

Experienced Member

I know that katydid shaved her head (and posted pics) and documented her feelings about it. I've heard a lot of people say it was a good decision to make for them and the hard part was actually doing it, but after that, they were happy.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change :*(

I shaved my head - well my BF did it the first time - and it was the most liberating thing ever... would totally do it again. I had it like that for about 14 months and wore a wig full time to work then.

As for wearing a wig afterwards, like meowchica said, no wig cap is necessary. The only thing I noticed was that the wig did feel a lot looser afterwards so I just had to adjust the straps to make it tighter. It is definitely cooler and I personally found it A LOT more comfortable as I used to find wearing a wig with hair could be a bit itchy, whereas once I shaved there was no bio hair to move around underneath and irritate me.

I so want to shave my head too, but I use some of my own hair when I wear my wig. I use the clips in the front to hold my wig in place when I wear it back. I also wear my hair down and incorporate some of my bio hair with my wig hair for a natural looking pony

Quote Originally Posted by shwag5150
    I know that katydid shaved her head (and posted pics) and documented her feelings about it. I've heard a lot of people say it was a good decision to make for them and the hard part was actually doing it, but after that, they were happy.
    I hear she if very happy with her decision too LOL

It really helped me get over the 'mourning' of it all. When you are losing your hair you feel helpless and out of control (I know I"m preaching to the choir here girls).

But when I shaved it, it gave ME the power for a change. Those scraps of hair was not doing anything except mocking me. I could not wear my 'real' hair in public, and I was going out of my way to save something that wasn't worth it.

I look at it this way, My hair left me, I did not leave my hair.

I never looked back girlie . .
    **wearing a 'piece' should be fun and liberating, not a hairy bandaid for a damaged psyche**

Don't let your HL control your life!!

Katydid - love your words of wisdom!

Nocturne