female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone taking bcp and wearing an estrogen patch?

I spoke to Dr. Redmond yesterday and explained that the meds I've been on for the past 8 months don't seem to be helping. He said my only other option would be to add Vivelle dot patch to increase my estrogen. I'm 47 and he said there is a slight chance of blood clots and that it's my choice whether or not to add it. I want my hair to stop falling out but don't want to risk my life! So I was just curious if anyone else is using the bcp/patch combination and how old are you?

Re: Anyone taking bcp and wearing an estrogen patch?

Anyone?

Hi, Medusa -

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I'm 42 and have very low estrogen (less than 12), so I may need estrogen replacement as well. I've started back on the pill (Yasmin), and am looking for other ways to increase estrogen. The way my doctor explained it, as long as I don't smoke, I can stay on the pill. Not sure about adding more via a patch. Have you asked your primary care doctor about this?

Experienced Member

Hi,

I am not quite sure about this combo, specifically. But, I have read that Suzanne Somers uses very high doses of bioidentical estrogen without problems.

I am also on Vivelle-Dot - .75. Way too low for me. I have considered trying 1 1/2 patches, but haven't had the guts yet. Problem is - too much estrogen can give bad symptoms, too, especially if it is out of balance with progesterone.

My best advice - just keep trying things.

Best of luck,
    K

Thanks edelweiss and GypsyKate!

I'm just undecided about what to do. I haven't talked to my primary care doc about it but was thinking about asking my father-in-law who is a retired Ob/Gyn. I don't smoke but I'm still worried about the blood clots.

My estrogen must be extremely low because the first med I started was Yasmin with nothing else. Even after 4 months on it, it did nothing for my hair. Then I started with the other meds which have also done nothing for my hair. But, it's so frustrating because my shed did go way down at about 4 months into all of the meds. But that only lasted a few weeks. Now 8 months later the shed is back up. UGH!!!

Experienced Member

I don't know the answer but would certainly be interested in knowing if anyone's tried it.

How much estrogen is in yasmin...35?

I'm thinking of trying Demulen (it's what I went on in my 20s after horrific hairloss on a low dose pill). It comes in a 35 and 50 dose of estrogen (so I think the 50 is higher than what yasmin has?).

I just don't know how I'd feel about adding more estrogen without adding more progesterone, but at the same time, going with bioidentical estrogen sounds good. Couldn't you just go on BHRT for both then, progesterone and estrogen? Why add one type to another type? Seems confusing....but I'm no doc!

miche,
    I really am so confused myself. I never thought I'd have to become an MD to be able to manage "hairloss" of all things. Dr. Redmond didn't say anything about increasing progesterone but maybe he's waiting to discuss it further if I do decide to go this route.

Experienced Member

Quote Originally Posted by medusa

II never thought I'd have to become an MD to be able to manage "hairloss" of all things.
    I know what you mean! I feel the same way....

On the plus side, you do have a doctor who does know SOMETHING about hairloss. I haven't seen anyone yet, who knows a single thing. I've talked to about 8 GPs, 2 endos and a derm. The first 10 said either there's nothing wrong with me (it's in my head) or they have no idea what to do since my blood levels are all fine. My derm, she knows ZERO about hormones or their affect on hairloss.

So I'm at a crossroads; I don't know whether to stick out my current regimen, go with (B)HRT or BCP....so many options and with no one to give me advice, I'm lost.

In your case, I'd just come up with a list of questions and alternative options and discuss it all with Dr. Redmond. I'm sure his responses will be useful and informative. It's great that you're being so proactive. I wish you the best!

Experienced Member michelesmith's Avatar

look into bioidentical hormone replacements or a higher estrogen bcp but i definitely wouldnt do both too much estrogen can cause a host of problems and it still may not bring back hair, plus when you have to go off of it whatever you grew back will fall out from such a drop in estrogen -

Experienced Member michelesmith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medusa
    I spoke to Dr. Redmond yesterday and explained that the meds I've been on for the past 8 months don't seem to be helping. He said my only other option would be to add Vivelle dot patch to increase my estrogen. I'm 47 and he said there is a slight chance of blood clots and that it's my choice whether or not to add it. I want my hair to stop falling out but don't want to risk my life! So I was just curious if anyone else is using the bcp/patch combination and how old are you?
    your very close to 50 and cant stay on bcp usually after 50 so i would definitely look into the bioidentical hormonal route