female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HELP ! Scalp burning what does that mean?

My scalp has recently started to hurt / burn - right at the top of my head. I guess crown are. Does it mean I am about to loose more hair in that area? This is so upseting ....who gets these? AGA , TE?
    Its 1:30 am and I am shocked in bed, cant sleep ....I am addicted to this forum but the more I read and know the more scared I get ...I am relative new at this, even though I have lost hair on and off for years, it was never bad enough to show scalp, hurt and actually get me so worked up ....

HELP !!!!! Carla

Re: HELP ! Scalp burning what does that mean?

Awwwww I'm so sorry!!!! *hug*

I wish I could tell you what scalp burning is all about. I know myself and a few other ladies here have either experienced this, or are currently affected by this. As far as I know, we just have to wait it out.

I hope this ends soon for you!!

at the height of my TE... I had scalp burning, trichodynia (sensation of pulling) and the lovely creepy crawly feeling...

I'm not sure what it can be attributed to... but it could be inflammation in the follicles... or hormonal sensitivities... I've searched for answers to this many times and cannot really find any definitive, concrete explanations...
    Be Careful Whose Toes You Step on Today...
    for They may be Connected to the Butt You Have to Kiss Tomorrow...

Oh yeah!!!!! All of the above for me as well. I also felt like my head was bruised. I think the one that was the most uncomfortable was the pulling or as I used to describe it, a needle being poked into my head. Haven't had it in a couple months thankfully!!
    Hair Issues! The most depressing thing that has ever happened to me.

Experienced Member beachlover24's Avatar

for some reason in my frontal area ( where the HL is the worst) I often feel like the hair tie/clip is pulling too tight even if its not pulling at all, even when my hair is down! . I did have dr tell me I had scalp inflammation...maybe this the reason for the feeling. I dont really know how its connected to the HL though. I have weird skin issues as well as the loss.

I've had this for 3.5 years now. I do not know if this will make you feel better but at peaks of violent scalp pain hair never got bald, and pain did not seem to correlate to heavier loss/thinning. I shed heavy regardless of pain or no pain if that makes sense. There were times the pain would be so violent (and still can be) that I often wondered if I could continue. fortunatly it gives me breaks.

Well there are a number of reasons for scalp pain, The bad ones are rare. But what it comes down to is inflammation. Stress and worry releases hormones which trigger more pain, inflammation, immune response etc. It's a vicous cycle you worry, your body releases hormones that trigger scalp inflammation which causes hair shedding, then we worry more and the cycle never seems to stop.

Something seemed to go awry. My doctor noticed I flush on my chest and neck and noted I had vasomotor instabiity wich is caused by a release of histamine that then releases mast cells. I also get migraine headache that can be caused by inflammation.

Try not to get to worked up about the pain as it does not necessarily mean you will lose more hair since it's hurting. Hopefully you will be like most where this just goes away and not like me

Quote Originally Posted by mythreeboys
    My doctor noticed I flush on my chest and neck and noted I had vasomotor instabiity wich is caused by a release of histamine that then releases mast cells. I also get migraine headache that can be caused by inflammation.
    This happens to me too... when I'm upset, nervous or embarrased... weird...
    Be Careful Whose Toes You Step on Today...
    for They may be Connected to the Butt You Have to Kiss Tomorrow...

Interesting. All of the friends I have made here and other forums who had scalp pain (Who I got to know personally) have mentioned some chest blotchiness and the "nervous rash"

Do a search on Neurogenic inflammation, it discusses stress, inflammation and hair loss. Some of us just have a bad stress response that creates a release of hormones, Nerve growth factor, Substance P and Catecholamins, these are all key players which limit hair growth and promote inflammation.

My aunt has Fibromyalgia very badly. She also gets migraines (neurogenic inflammation) and when we got together she noted my chest rash and said oh honey I get that all the time but now that I am on lexipro it went away. She also has neurogenic bladder.

I don't know the cure of Neurogenic inflammation or if its possible to stop it. It's the key player in Fibro, chronic pain syndromes etc and is a real phenomenon . It's also responsible for stress induced psoriasis, dermatitis, shingles. I often wonder if it's linked to AA as well. neurogenic inflammation is tied into the bodies immune responses etc.

I often wonder if this type of phenomenon is genetic, environmental, autoimmune or all of the above.

Again, I could no be happier to have found you ladies ....if you tell anyone that you feel all these things in your scalp, most people will start thiking you are going crazy ....especially if nothing looks "wrong" with your scalp ...Last night my scalp was REALLY sored and burning ...but that was also at the peak of my stress and oanic over the whole thing ...

Carla

I have had scalp pain/itching/strange sensations on and off in the past. I tended to get the pain when I was in a full shed mode. Now I am just getting the itching... which is really annoying because I seem to be scratching like a monkey all the time and it annoys my mum!