female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw Palmetto, Nettle Root, Dong Quai

Please read this:
    http://www.hairlosshaven.com/picking-th ... ements.htm

Top 3 Supplements Often Found In Natural Hair Loss Products
    1. Saw Palmetto

If you want the main ingredient that's in 90% of the natural hair loss treatments out there then get Saw Palmetto.

Saw Palmetto has become a popular hair loss supplement because of it's reputation for promoting prostate health by reducing DHT. Since prostatic disease and hair loss are connected in several different ways many herbalist have begun marketing Saw Palmetto as a hair loss treatment.

Propecia (Finasteride) was originally marketed as a prostatic treatment as well. It became a hair loss treatment after patients started noticing changes in hair growth.

Saw Palmetto, like Propecia, will help you lower the amount of DHT produced in the body. However, it's debatable whether or not it will work quite as well as Propecia.

You should also know that Saw Palmetto does have side effects and drug interactions. Pregnant women should avoid Saw Palmetto because it could be dangerous to unborn babies. It might not have any hair growth benefits for women at all.

In a few cases Saw Palmetto has caused hemorrhages, difficulty urinating, swelling of the prostate, and blood in the urine.

2. Nettle Root

Nettle Root is a another supplement that's often put into natural hair loss treatments. It helps block 5-Alpha-Reductase which causes testosterone to be converted to DHT.

This supplement is often included in the top tier natural hair loss treatments. Nettle root is considered a stronger DHT blocker than Saw Palmetto by some herbalist.

In most cases natural hair loss treatments don't have any nettle root in them at all. The ones that do have nettle root often don't have enough.

However, like saw palmetto nettle root does have some negative interactions with prescription drugs. Be careful if you are taking blood pressure medication, diabetes medicine or sedatives.

Unlike, Saw Palmetto women with hair loss can use it as well.

3. Dong Quai

Dong Quai is another DHT blocker. It has phytoestrogens which block androgen-receptor sites that help convert testosterone to DHT.

Since it works to block DHT many people believe that it will also help prevent hair loss.

Dong Quai can also be used by women. If you combine Dong Quai with Nettle Root then you will probably have a regimen that's stronger than most natural hair loss treatments on the market.

Combine all three and you will have the best possible supplement regimen at a much more affordable price.

Re: Saw Palmetto, Nettle Root, Dong Quai

Interesting. Thanks

I am nervous about Saw Palmetto. I take a lot of vitamins daily (Vitamin D, ginko, womens daily, B100, 5000mg Biotin, a calcium chew and then occasionally I take fish oil, vitamin e, vitamin c, and milk thistle).

My period is SUPER irregular and i just went nearly 6 months without having it at all. I have androgenetic alopecia, and from May till now my thick curly hair (it used to be my best feature), became thin wavy strands (you can see my scalp around the crown). I was just told to begin Yasmin and I am scared it will make my hair worse. All bloodwork shows that my hormones are fine, so i am not sure whats going on. Also the Yasmin is 70 bucks a month with my insurance!!! This with the rogaine I take is sooo expensive. Could Saw palmetto or these other herbs help?

I hate that my hair is falling out so rapidly

This is sort of my next step ...I am trying to work up courage to start a DHT blocker buut I dont feel confident to start taking all kinds of stuff/supplements without surpervision ... Who can actually help? what kind of doctors?

Thanks for the list ...

Experienced Member

For supplements I've heard good things about this company. They sell a supplement to help with PCOS and I'm sure they have the herbs mentioned as well. I have a cousin who sees a nutritionist that distributes their supplements. THey don't sell to the general public. She lives in a different state than me, but gave me this number to call and said her nutritionist told her you can ask them for a rep in your area. That might be someplace to start. Or a naturopath.
    Standard Process 1-808-848-5061

Experienced Member

Ok.. I just googled the supplements and it looks like you don't have to go through a distributor. But you could call the 800 number to find a good nutritionist in your area perhaps to help you oversee what supplements to take.

Experienced Member

I actually have heard good things about this company from a nutritionist friend but have never tried their products/services myself. If anyone does try them please let us know.

I am using the dong qui I did help to decrease the shedding. I know that for sure because when I stop it for a while the shed would increase again.

I've been trying to read alot about these supplements.
    I have PCOS and slightly high but normal levels of testosterone. Been taking SawPalmetto since March 09 ish. Blood test show a drop in testoterone levels - which never happened before with other meds such as Androcur. It hasn't reduced my hairloss. Further I read about it it talks mostly about reducing testosterone in general - and not specifically DHT.
    I've heared Dong Quai is very good for women. But so far haven't tried it.
    Nettle - A lady with PCOS swore by Nettle Shampoo - so I change my Shampoo after this. Again no real impact for me. But further reading does show that it washes out DHT from the hair as opposed to other Shampoo.
    I have also heared that Green Tea and Yerba Matte tea (similar to Green Tea yet more potent) is very good at blocking DHT. But again further reading show no REAL proof of this. and some claim the Green Tea should be taken as well as SoyMilk. All which I've been taking for the last two months. No dramatic changes to the hairloss.
    (I take a minimum 2cups Green Tea and 2cups Yerba Matte Tea a day and prob 1/2 to 1 glass of Soy Milk.)

Quote Originally Posted by wish4hair
    I am using the dong qui I did help to decrease the shedding. I know that for sure because when I stop it for a while the shed would increase again.
    Hi there,
    I'm using Dong quai too. but I'm not sure which dose would be enough for hairloss.currently taking 125mg aday?
    I thinkits kind of helping but then again I'm in my luteal phase .it'll hit back when I get my period.
    do you take it everyday during your cycle?