female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vitamins for hair loss

hi everyone!
    I am curious about what vitamins people take for hair loss.
    Currently I take a Hair, Skin, and Nails forumla vitamin. I've read some mentions of Saw Palmetto and Biotin. What vitamins are recommended for hair loss?
    AGA, possibly with TE.

my dermatologyst recommended Biotin, so i've started with 1000mcg twice a day, now i am taking 5mg once a day (that's 5000mcg), i am also taking MSM *sulphur*, primrose oil *omega 3*...sometimes flaxeed oil *omega 6*, sometimes L-lysine *i am doing 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off rotation on Dorinha's advice*, prenatal vitamins and Viviscal.

out of everything, i'd recommend biotin, MSM *i think it makes my hair grow longer*, Viviscal *i think it also makes my hair grow longer on a back, i've now got hair below my shoulders in just a few months*.

I'd be careful with Saw Palmeto, it can cause real damage. I've read the article that it's a lot like Propecia...and you can't take it if you're pregnant...so i am staying away from this one.

I just got back from a dermotologist today and she recommends Biotin. She says 900 mg or more is good. Its a type of B vitamin found in animal products and greens. It's water soluble so its not toxic.

I have heard saw palmetto helps with AGA (male pattern loss) because it helps prevent DHT from binding with the hair. But I havent tried it.

I'm curious to find out more about MSM or Viviscal...Krapiva, could you fill us in?

Experienced Member
    I suggest evening primrose oil too. I take 1000mg's two to three times a day.
    Mary Shamone ( thyroid patient advocate) suggested it and I live by that woman's word on some days. Apparently, it also helps fight of a bit of the dht factor.
    I take 1000mcg's of biotin twice a day and prenatals once a day.

can u buy biotin at any drugstore like Walgreens?

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texan girl
    can u buy biotin at any drugstore like Walgreens?
    Yup, I get mine at Target.

there were threads in this forum on both MSM and Viviscal. In fact i remember posting a link to an article about MSM. MSM is sulphur which in the studies improved hair growth for with people Alopecia. It's also water soluble, so it's not toxic. Viviscal contains Silica, vit C and marine algae which improves hair growth, and in 'some' clinincal studies has been shown to increase anagen to telogen ration...basically, prolong the growth phase of hairs. I've been taking MSM since July or August, and i am on week #5 of Viviscal..what i've noticed is that my hair has grown quiet a bit...i'd say about an additional 1.5inch in this time...of course now i have long thin hair, not necessarily much better than short thin hair...*sigh*

Btw, Claire, I've been taking flax seeds/primrose oil supplement for about a month *just 1/day*...then i ran out of it, and couldn't buy it again *i bought it in homeopathic pharmacy*, so i switched to just Primrose oil...i am thinking of upping dosage on this to 2/3 times/day. Primrose oil is your omega 3. In fact, hair folicle needs a bunch of amino acids for growth, so i believe omegas are good.

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krapiva
    there were threads in this forum on both MSM and Viviscal. In fact i remember posting a link to an article about MSM. MSM is sulphur which in the studies improved hair growth for with people Alopecia. It's also water soluble, so it's not toxic. Viviscal contains Silica, vit C and marine algae which improves hair growth, and in 'some' clinincal studies has been shown to increase anagen to telogen ration...basically, prolong the growth phase of hairs. I've been taking MSM since July or August, and i am on week #5 of Viviscal..what i've noticed is that my hair has grown quiet a bit...i'd say about an additional 1.5inch in this time...of course now i have long thin hair, not necessarily much better than short thin hair...*sigh*

Btw, Claire, I've been taking flax seeds/primrose oil supplement for about a month *just 1/day*...then i ran out of it, and couldn't buy it again *i bought it in homeopathic pharmacy*, so i switched to just Primrose oil...i am thinking of upping dosage on this to 2/3 times/day. Primrose oil is your omega 3. In fact, hair folicle needs a bunch of amino acids for growth, so i believe omegas are good.
    Yup, those goo fatty acids are also good for your skin and nails. I am not sure how much it's helped my skin, because I've been good about using my alpha hydroxy acid too. But, I will say, except for the occasional just before my period break out, my skin is looking fantastic. I swear, I think some of my acne scarring is starting to vanish. I do think the combination of the vitamins and the good skin routine is really helping. Which is nice... for a while there between the thyroid and the hairmare stress, I was looking rather old.
    I guess that's my thing, Krapiva. If the hair is going to fall out, I better take care of the skin!

Thanks Ladies!
    I appreciate your input. Definetly sounds like I'll get some biotin, keep taking my hair/skin/nails formula, and also get some evening primrose oil. How about Fish oil? thats a omega fatty acid too, right? Will it have the same effect on hair as primrose oil?
    Thanks!
    Jessica
    AGA, possibly with TE.

i've heard that too much of fish oil can make hair loss worse...don't know how true that is...but theoretically amino acids can increase your testosterone, so i'd be careful with this one...i'd stick with proven biotin, primrose oil and your hair and anils formula...

btw, i am also taking He Shou Wu Wan...chinese herb formula, which translates into 'he who has black hair'..it's said to normalize your liver function to stimulate hair growth...i take it as herbal tea extract 3 timex a day...it better grow me some looong black hair