female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increased shedding on Saw Palmetto?

I started Saw Palmetto not quite three weeks ago, at 160 mcg per day. I didn't have any adverse side effects, so about a week ago I upped my dose to the 'standard' 320 mcg per day. Now, for the past few days, I've had a dramatically increased shed (at least 2x as much loss).

Is it normal to have an increased shed when starting an anti-androgen like Saw Palmetto or Spiro? Or is it more likely that the normal dose is just too high for me and my body/hair don't like it?

I don't want to reduce my dose again if this will pass, but I also don't want to go through many more days of this increased shed, because it's just awful. Scarf/hat central all week.

Experienced Member

Re: Increased shedding on Saw Palmetto?

Greene, I thought I read that saw palmetto is an estrogen blocker. And estrogen is good for hair. Could this be the problem, that you are blocking your own estrogen?

It could be that the SP is blocking the testosterone from turning into DHT which is what it is known to do. In that case, your testosterone could have increased. The same thing happened to me when I took Propecia. I am very sensitive to testosterone and I get symptoms of too much right away. Not sure if DHT is my problem or not but testosterone sure is. Just my guess.

Experienced Member SabrinaLouise's Avatar

Greene--I think anti-androgens, whether topical or oral actually do affect shedding intially--maybe not for all but for most anyway. I too am taking a supplement with SP in it and then using Revita shampoo too and my shed is up quite a bit. I'm just going to hang tough for awhile. Like you, I don't feel this can go on forever or I will be bald, however, I also feel that stopping and starting on different things over and over again really only gets me going in circles and decreases the liklihood of success in the long run while going through the initial sheds over and over again when a new substance is tried. My two cents is to say hang tough for awhile (as best you can).

Thanks, ladies, I appreciate your input.

bk, I'm glad SP is working for you. 5 hairs is a dream come true at this point.

lizzy + Strand: I've read so many things about SP, and it's all conflicting...more often than not, though, I read that it is estrogenic and actually reduces testosterone, in addition to DHT (hence why it cautions of decreased libido, similar to Propecia). I can't say for sure, though, but I guess fluctuating hormones at any level could be a culprit.

Sabrina: totally agree. I hate all the stopping + starting and never really knowing if something could succeed, just because the increased shed is too much to bear. It is really, really tough, though, to see two and three times as much hair just pouring out with no strong catalyst. Ugh. I'm going to give the lower dose of SP a bit longer; keep me posted on how your shed is going, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greene
    It is really, really tough, though, to see two and three times as much hair just pouring out with no strong catalyst.
    I hear you on that. I lost almost 70 hairs this morning which is about double if not more than what I was shedding prior to using Revita and my hair caps that contain SP and other anti-androgen herbs. I'm not liking it one bit

Hi Ladies. I just got my saw palmetto mix in the mail today. It is also nettle and pumpkin seed oil. Unfortunately I just read something about saw palmetto being bad for your liver...now I'm scared since I have a fatty liver. I am taking milk thistle for the liver. I just want my hair back....eyelashes, eyebrows and on my head!!! I've lost hair all over...nothing left under arms, on legs, pubic...all almost gone. I always had such thick hair. I can't believe this is happening to me. My friends don't have this problem. It started about 8yrs ago and then seemed to stop...now for some reason, it started again. I don't find lots of hair coming out...just not there on my head...way thin now in front and on one side. So upsetting for those whose hair was one of our best features.

Quote Originally Posted by maltesemom
    Hi Ladies. I just got my saw palmetto mix in the mail today. It is also nettle and pumpkin seed oil. Unfortunately I just read something about saw palmetto being bad for your liver...now I'm scared since I have a fatty liver. I am taking milk thistle for the liver. I just want my hair back....eyelashes, eyebrows and on my head!!! I've lost hair all over...nothing left under arms, on legs, pubic...all almost gone. I always had such thick hair. I can't believe this is happening to me. My friends don't have this problem. It started about 8yrs ago and then seemed to stop...now for some reason, it started again. I don't find lots of hair coming out...just not there on my head...way thin now in front and on one side. So upsetting for those whose hair was one of our best features.
    Hi maltesemom - milk thistle is great. I was told to use it when I was on diflucan b/c diflucan is terribly hard on the liver. I made it through 30 days on it taking milk thistle. Are you going to take your new supplement or return it? If you do take it maybe just go slow and see how you feel and work up to the full dose? I'm sure with all the supplements I take my liver is working OT all the time There is a great supplement called BHB Plus that can help defat the liver. All I have known about milk thistle thus far is that it supports the liver in the detoxification process, but if it defats it too--that's a plus I didn't know about.

Thanks SabrinaLouise. I got a headache from the milkthistle blend so the Dr. told me to cut it in half. I'm ok with the half. Thanks for the info on the supplement for defatting the liver.
    I am going to use the saw palmetto and hope for the best. It was $80 plus tax and shipping. Too expensive for a month supply. Have you had any luck with anything helping regrow hair? I tried Rogaine yrs ago and don't want to use drugs if at all possible. I'm into everything as natural and organic as possible....but I want my hair back. I'm not convinced any of these things work...but there has to be an explanation of something wrong in our bodies to cause this hair loss...expecially all over my body. Just wish I could find that explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by maltesemom
    Thanks SabrinaLouise. I got a headache from the milkthistle blend so the Dr. told me to cut it in half. I'm ok with the half. Thanks for the info on the supplement for defatting the liver.
    I am going to use the saw palmetto and hope for the best. It was $80 plus tax and shipping. Too expensive for a month supply. Have you had any luck with anything helping regrow hair? I tried Rogaine yrs ago and don't want to use drugs if at all possible. I'm into everything as natural and organic as possible....but I want my hair back. I'm not convinced any of these things work...but there has to be an explanation of something wrong in our bodies to cause this hair loss...expecially all over my body. Just wish I could find that explanation.
    $80? That's a a lot of dough! This is my saw palmetto supp:

http://www.vrp.com/hair-skin-and-nails/ ... -hair-caps

I haven't been on it long enough to know if it will make a difference--I think these supps can take months to show if they are going to do anything--they hair cycle apparently is long--like 3-6 months.

I haven't found my answer yet on what's going to regrow my hair. I did folligen for sixth months steadily, twice a day and got my shed way down (until like a dummy I stopped using it), but I haven't found anything to actually regrow my hair--however, to be fair, I haven't stuck with anything long enough I think (as I said, the hair cycle is long). I've incorporated some new things into my diet as of late as well as trying out some topical estrogen (see my regimen). I am keeping my fingers crossed that something will change and soon--I'm sporting some very sparse bangs these days and a clearly balding crown.

Yeah--losing your hair on your body is curious--I have AGA and I've actually had to have hair removed via electrolysis b/c it wants to grow where I don't want it to. Body hair loss doesn't intuitively to me doesn't seem very AGA-related, but I'm not an expert. I understand that thyroid and AGA can go hand-in hand (which is my case) so that would definitely be something work looking into if you haven't.