female alopecia
transplants

Does Ambien cause hair loss?

I was just prescribed Ambien for my insomnia and I though I read a while back that some people had hair loss from it. Please say it aint so......I need sleep
    Kristi

Experienced Member

Re: Does Ambien cause hair loss?

It's not listed as a side effect. It is probably much like anti-depressants in that HL can rarely occur, but it's really very rare. Any drug has the potential to cause HL, but you will probably be just fine taking it.

I tried it a while back when I was having a real problem with insomnia and didn't notice any increase in HL, but it did make me feel groggy in the morning (I'm sure not everyone reacts this way or it wouldn't be so popular!)

Good luck and I hope you get the rest you need!

Kristi......I blamed Ambien for my hair loss for quite a while. It was the only thing that was different....other than the life stress I was dealing with. I even had a Facebook post....something about the irony of stress, insomnia, sleeping pills, hair loss and the relationship of them all. I still take them VERY sparingly....and only after weeks of not sleeping. I will "treat" myself to a good night sleep. Ambien has MANY side effects..... when I took it regularly, I did all sorts of unmentionables in my "sleep". It does indeed help you to sleep....but be warned....I became quite dependent on it. I could never get a doctor to tell me it caused hair loss....but typically those taking a sleep aide are also suffering from stress, or are vitamin deficient or have a hormonal change.... and so while we (I) blamed the Ambien...it was more likely the other things.....(sorry, I'm still very tired from vacation and realized that this probably reads like a rant at this point)

Experienced Member

I started ambien a long time before the hair loss began so I don't think it is related to my hairless. I don't take it every day or even every week, but just when my neck (it is fused at one level and I have two herniated discs adjacent to that level) hurts me too much to sleep. I try to make sure that even during bad weeks, I don't take it more than 2 nights in a row.

Rug bug, I would be curious to know your experience. When I took too much one time (decided to try an entire pill instead of the half pill I usually take), I had hallucinations. The last thing I remember are the hallucinations, but my husband tells me that I was still "awake" long beyond that.
    Em 41
    My mood is inversely associated with my shed rate.

OMG Em.... my husband LOVES me "on ambien"...says I will do pretty much anything I'm told to do. (scary thought, since I will often times not have a single memory of anything). My kids have told me of entire conversations I've had with them in the middle of the night.... I once got up from bed and made a meal. Zero memory. As for the hallucinations....I used to know it was was past time for me to go to bed when the stapler and hole punch on my desk told me it was time past my bedtime. I also vividly recall the stairs "biting" my ankles one night. Yes.....Ambien was all kinds of fun. But, once I became dependent on it...I knew I had to quit. I googled it when my hair started falling out and it comes up pretty often as a trigger for hair loss. So...be careful.

Experienced Member Eternal Crown's Avatar

Ohhhhh, the ambien games Yes, I was dependent on it for a while. Trying to get off of it was literally a nightmare. That's when it was very scarey. Tried to quit cold turkey the first time...of course, that's not recommended...could not sleep; when I somewhat slept had the scariest nightmares. When I was trying to quit, my husband slept in a different room so he could get some sleep. One time I got up to check on him and our four-legged kids because I thought I had done something bad to them, like hurt them. After that indicent...whether by choice or my asking...he decided to stay up and near me through the night because I was so "out of it." Whew, that was so, so weird, though.

I finally weaned myself off, slowly but surely, the second go-around. And this time with no nightmares. But I had originally wanted to get off of it because of the dependency and with the thinking it might be contributing to my HL.

I, too, would get up and cook or prepare food, but not necessarily eat it, at odd hours of the night when I was under the influence of ambien. Crazy! I made my favorite homemade chocolate pie one time that requires approximately 45 minutes of stirring chocolate over the stove I have to admit that was worth it!

Have a blessed day!
    EC
    Prayers and blessings,
    EC

Experienced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug
    OMG Em.... my husband LOVES me "on ambien"...says I will do pretty much anything I'm told to do. (scary thought, since I will often times not have a single memory of anything). My kids have told me of entire conversations I've had with them in the middle of the night.... I once got up from bed and made a meal. Zero memory. As for the hallucinations....I used to know it was was past time for me to go to bed when the stapler and hole punch on my desk told me it was time past my bedtime. I also vividly recall the stairs "biting" my ankles one night. Yes.....Ambien was all kinds of fun. But, once I became dependent on it...I knew I had to quit. I googled it when my hair started falling out and it comes up pretty often as a trigger for hair loss. So...be careful.

The stapler and hole punch made me laugh. My bed turned into an ocean. . . Yes, my husband rather enjoyed the night I took too much. As for hair loss, I seriously doubt this is involved for me given how long I have taken it and how infrequently I use it. Still, it is something to keep in mind as I continue to search for an answer.
    Em 41
    My mood is inversely associated with my shed rate.

Wow, those are some scary side effects that you all experienced.

I was prescribed this from the sleep center that I go to for my sleep apnea. My GP wanted to put me on Rozerem, which is non-habit forming, but he wanted me to just try Benadryl first. He said since I have allergies anyway that I could use it for that with the added benefit of it helping me sleep. I normally use Zyrtec for my allergies, and it used to make me sleepy, but that effect has worn off. The Benadryl does help sometimes, but I think the sleepy effect will wear off with it as well. That's why the sleep center prescribed Ambien. Drugs.com states that Rozerem can affect your Testosterone and/or Prolactin levels. I wonder if Ambien does the same. When I googled how it affected your Testerone levels it said it can lower it, which would be good. However, I already have a hormonal imbalance (PCOS) and don't want to aggravate that further. Can't believe how many things affect us in ways that we may never even know.

Does anyone know of a good sleep aid without all these side effects?

Thanks for all the info, ladies.
    Kristi