female alopecia
transplants
    Experienced Member

Weight loss and spiro

Just curious for those of you on spiro - how much weight have you lost since starting it? Have you been able to put any of that weight back on (or did the weight eventually come back anyway)? I was underweight before starting spiro, and I've lost 10 pounds. This seems excessive to me, but maybe I'm wrong...? I just want my clothes to fit again, and it seems like if I'm eating enough fats, I would still put on weight?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated

Experienced Member Eternal Crown's Avatar

Re: Weight loss and spiro

Hi, mshistory

I am on Spiro and my weight seems to be staying pretty much the same. I am not overweight by any means and eat pretty darn healthy. I think I was made aware of the possibility of weight loss with Spiro, so I took that into account because I don't need to lose any weight. I exercise daily, so I make sure I am eating enough to replenish and stay healthy. I don't want to lose weight because that would not help my hair loss cause

Do you exercise a lot?
    Prayers and blessings,
    EC

Experienced Member

No, I don't actually exercise at all...unless you count chasing after two young children all day I know I should eat healthy, but since I'm trying to gain back the weight I've lost, I've intentionally been eating a lot of fatty foods (like putting extra margarine on things) and it's just not helping. I'm down to 94 pounds and look awful

Experienced Member Eternal Crown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mshistory
    No, I don't actually exercise at all...unless you count chasing after two young children all day I know I should eat healthy, but since I'm trying to gain back the weight I've lost, I've intentionally been eating a lot of fatty foods (like putting extra margarine on things) and it's just not helping. I'm down to 94 pounds and look awful
    Well, chasing after children does count When I was a lot younger, my mother took me to get milkshakes to try to put weight on me. I loved those days Have you ever sought the help of a nutritionist? I have a friend who is a nutritionist who is very helpful with what types of food to eat. I know if I were to use things like margarine and such, that would go straight to my wannabe muffin top. It didn't used to be that way. Now I try to eat lean protein with every meal. I do protein shakes. I also eat basically every three hours I snack on almonds and just found a really good gluten-free protein bar (crunchy brownie)...yum!

Anyway, all that aside, I understand about wanting to fit into your clothes. I'm finally able to do that again. I hope you can get there, too.
    Prayers and blessings,
    EC

Experienced Member

mshistory,

i have lost about 3-5lbs since starting spiro (maybe more like 5 not sure) - It was great! I am tad overweight for my frame so the 5lb loss was a welcome - However, I have to say that in the past few weeks I have not been eating as well as usual and I have not put the weight back on. Again, this is great but I have to say I was curious about it. Before spiro, I would gain weight immediately even if I didn't eat well in one week! Since you are underweight and loss 10lbs, you may want to mention it to your doctor??? I think my weight is simply "water weight" but 10lbs seems like more than that.

mrm

Experienced Member

Thanks EC and mrm

You're right - 10 lbs does seem excessive and I don't want to blame it on the spiro if something else is going on since I have AI issues, but the timing would be coincidental. I'm going to talk to my rheumatologist about it this week when I see him because I think I've lost about 2 inches from my waistline which is ridiculous!

Experienced Member

I am glad you are talking to the doctor about it.

I know what you mean about the timing being coincidental. I went on vacation 2 weeks after starting spiro, ate like a pig, came back after 2 weeks and had lost weight! It was the first time in my life that I lost weight on vacation ! I had also increased my exercise so it could definitely be that but I definitely thought it was somewhat of a coincidence. Have you tried eating more or higher fat foods?

Experienced Member

Yes, I'm kind of embarassed to admit how much fast food I've been gorging on trying to put on a few pounds I've also just started drinking those Boost drinks. I'd love to be able to just eat candy all day but with my Sjogren's, I already have a terrible time with cavities so I have to be careful about too much sugar. Gosh, I hope I don't give myself heart disease in my quest to gain back my weight!

I'm a normal weight and have a tendency to become underweight if I'm under stress. I'm thinking about using spiro, hopefully I dont lose too much weight on it... :/ I don't think I'd be happy with the way my face looks if I were any thinner. Still, the hair trade up? Actually, I think I'd be fine with that. Lol. How long have you been taking it? Did you increase dosage gradually? Maybe some is water weight. I don't think eating too much margarine will help, lol. I hope you're able to figure it out and gain your weight back soon.
    “For fast-acting relief try slowing down.” Lily Tomlin

“Nothing is permanent in this wicked world – not even our troubles.” Charlie Chaplin

I'm too vain for my own good, but my main goal through all this is finding some inner peace.

Experienced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl
    I'm a normal weight and have a tendency to become underweight if I'm under stress. I'm thinking about using spiro, hopefully I dont lose too much weight on it... :/ I don't think I'd be happy with the way my face looks if I were any thinner. Still, the hair trade up? Actually, I think I'd be fine with that. Lol. How long have you been taking it? Did you increase dosage gradually? Maybe some is water weight. I don't think eating too much margarine will help, lol. I hope you're able to figure it out and gain your weight back soon.
    I've been taking spiro since May. My dermatologist did have me increase the dose gradually - in fact, it took six weeks to get up to the 200 mg dose. I know some of the weight loss must be from the spiro, but I don't know why I've lost so much and can't put it back on. The margarine was just an example I'm increasing my calorie and fat intake but still not gaining weight (unfortunately, I can't eat too much sugar because I am prone to cavities otherwise I'd have no problem munching on candy all day to see if that helps!)