female alopecia
transplants

extensions for thining hairline?

Can anyone tell me about their experience with ProExtensions hair extensions? I am not looking for length, but to add some thickness to my thinning hair. My thinning is most apparent at the front hairline - will clip in extensions help that at all? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: extensions for thining hairline?

Quote Originally Posted by airliner
    Can anyone tell me about their experience with ProExtensions hair extensions? I am not looking for length, but to add some thickness to my thinning hair. My thinning is most apparent at the front hairline - will clip in extensions help that at all? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Hi - My problem too is at my hairline - thinning and recession. I tried Pro Extensions clip in extensions just to add some volume around my face as I thought that might help distract from the thinning front, but it didn't really do anything for me. You can't clip hair in the front without it being really noticeable. I also tried some clip in bangs, but I have found that the bang pieces are hard to blend in due to the bump at the back of the bang piece. It just never looked right or felt secure, so I never even left the house in them. Also, when I washed one of the extension pieces, a lot of hair came out of it. I had to wash it as I grilled one night with the extensions in, and the hair smelled like grill smoke. They just seemed cheap and like something you could use for fun but not necessarily all the time.

I now wear a Flora fall and couldn't be happier with my choice.

Experienced Member

Do a search for "easibangs" on this forum-that might give you the coverage at the hairline that you are looking for.

The problem with extensions is trying to cover where you have them attached. Usually (if they are used to add length or volume) the attachment is hidden by hair that goes over the top of them (e.g. the back of your head - hair hangs down over the top of the extensions). That is why on the whole, extensions are less or completely unsuitable for people who have loss on the top of their head or the hairline.

Hi Airliner!

You also might want to note that anything that pulls on your hairs (like bonded extensions or clips,) especially when there isn't much hair to begin with, could cause traction alopecia. Please be careful! I've heard about people with perfectly healthy hair counts having permanent hair loss from extensions/weaves/etc. and since thin hair doesn't leave much for the extensions to hold on to it puts even more stress on the few hairs there. Less hair to distribute the load across = more stress to your follicles.

I had wanted to try extensions to make my hair look thicker for awhile too but ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to make the problem worse. :S