female alopecia
transplants
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Experienced Member

Re: Tried Onion juice but I need HELP...

Quote Originally Posted by gutermann
    Hi there I was just looking for an all natural shampoo for dandruff when I came across this shampoo - Jason Dandruff Relief Dandruff Shampoo - It has sulphur in it also MSM and Rosemary. Sounds like maybe the benefit of the sulphur in onions in a nicer smelling shampoo. Just thought I'd share in case someone wanted to try it. I might.
    Thank you for recommending this.

Experienced Member

I tried the onion juice again today. I tried making the juice a different way and it came out perfect...no pulp and no chunks. I used a hand held grader and sliced the entire onion into quaters. I graded each quarter onion on the finest slide of the grader (make sure to be careful with your fingers). Then I took the fine pulp and pushed it through a hand held strainer and out came all the juice...all pure and no pulp and no chunks (last time I tried it was a disaster...LOL!). I then took a dropper and put the onion juice onto my scalp...wrapped my hair in a towel for 30 minutes and then rinsed out with shampoo and conditioner. The smell is still there but not too bad. I think I am going to try this 2 times a month and see how it goes.

Experienced Member

Quote Originally Posted by worriedmommy
    I tried the onion juice again today. I tried making the juice a different way and it came out perfect...no pulp and no chunks. I used a hand held grader and sliced the entire onion into quaters. I graded each quarter onion on the finest slide of the grader (make sure to be careful with your fingers). Then I took the fine pulp and pushed it through a hand held strainer and out came all the juice...all pure and no pulp and no chunks (last time I tried it was a disaster...LOL!). I then took a dropper and put the onion juice onto my scalp...wrapped my hair in a towel for 30 minutes and then rinsed out with shampoo and conditioner. The smell is still there but not too bad. I think I am going to try this 2 times a month and see how it goes.

Experienced Member

I've had AGA for almost 40 years and started using onion juice out of desperation about 6 weeks ago during a shed. I was amazed how quickly the shedding stopped and now I've got lots of small hairs growing too! For me it's working a lot better than 2% minoxidil did. Sure, applying raw onion to your head is something you need to do in private because it's not exactly sexy looking and there's the onion smell... but personally I'd rather suffer that than having to go through a dread shed before finding out if I'm one of the people 5% minoxidil will work for.

Are you still using the onion juice worriedmommy? I read your post about your trip to the hairdresser and your hair sounds like it's getting better though you're still getting some shedding. You say only using the onion juice a couple of times a month though...have you thought about using it a bit more frequently? I went to the hairdressers last week for a much needed cut and color and was happy I did so too. My hair still isn't exactly hollywood star material but it does look a lot better than it did ... a straggly mess with lots of grey/sunbleached bits. I discussed my hair loss angst with the hairdresser. While not denying there was a problem, she didn't seem to think it was too bad compared to the last time she'd seen me about 3 months previously in the middle of a big shed. According to her, the only treatment available is minoxidil and I didn't dare tell her I'd been using onion juice... it just sounds so wierd .

I've only started dying my hair in the last few years and have always used semi permanent colors rather than permanent dyes (theory being that the chemicals used aren't quite as harsh). I was a bit scared that the onion juice would turn my newly dyed hair green or yellow or bright orange, so I laid off the onion treatment for a couple of days. I've used it once since though, and so far so good... no visible change in the color.

I've been musing about WHY the onions might be working because I do have a scientific background and studied biology at university. I don't think it's just the sulphur because there are plenty of sulphur containing dandruff shampoos about. Millions of people use them, and we'd know about it by now if they were an effective cure for baldness.

Onion juice on the other hand, is not something a lot of people will willingly slap on their heads over a long period of time.

So I looked at what onions contain and they seem to have a longer list of potentially useful ingredients than anything you can buy in a drugstore. Tons of vitamins and minerals, plant sterols (including ?-sitosterol) and flavanoids. Interestingly, onions are one of the richest natural sources of quercetin.

The latest "we've finally discovered what causes human balding" theory is that prostaglandin D2 inhibits hair growth in AGA patients.

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/4/126 ... 4.abstract

And guess what, quercetin seems to inhibit PGD2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18831918

I'm not claiming it's the ultimate cure by any means ... hair loss is no doubt due to multiple factors and what works for one person won't work for another, but the more I look at this onion thing the more it's beginning to make sense. The effect is probably synergistic, small amounts of lots of different ingredients all acting together.

If you do continue with the onion please can you update worriedmommy? Your results seem to be rather similar to mine and I've only managed to find one scientific study testing this (on patients with AA, not AGA). I'm just really curious about whether other people with AGA type hair loss are getting results too or whether it's just coincidence that applying onion juice coincided with my shed stopping and new hairs popping up.

Thanks!

I wonder if something like this would work as well? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001ASAES ... 686&sr=8-1

Might try this myself and see. Also on rogaine now for 5 wks.

Experienced Member

Why pay $45 for onion juice from a bottle when you can make the stuff in your own kitchen for a few cents?

Besides, I've a hunch onion juice needs to be used as fresh as possible. The sulphur components in freshly cut onions are highly unstable.

"Like garlic, onion contains many organic sulfur compounds, including trans-S-(1-propenyl) cysteine sulfoxide, S-methylcysteine sulfoxide, S-propylcysteine sulfoxide, and cycloalliin. Except for cycloalliin, these sulfur compounds are converted to simpler sulfur compounds by the enzyme alliinase released when the onion is cut or crushed. These simpler compounds are unstable and undergo further decomposition to sulfides (di-, tri-, etc.) and other compounds that are responsible for the onion flavor (especially methylpropyl disulfide, methylpropyl trisulfide, and dipropyl trisulfide)."

(Source) http://www.answers.com/topic/commercial ... f-lime-oil

It's possible that the simpler sulphur compounds mentioned there are more biologically available and there are bound to be preservatives in that bottled juice to stop it going off which may also affect things.

I didn't even have access to a blender when I started this treatment, just rubbed freshly cut onions on my head and got the juice out that way.

Onion juice (preferably fresh) might just help stop or reduce the dreaded Rogaine shed without impacting on the hair growth. I think it's probably worth a try anyway... maybe not mixed together with minoxidil though, in case there's some chemical interaction with the stuff that's in Rogaine. If it's 5% minoxidil that presumably means that 95% of the product is made up of other chemicals and nobody seems to know why Minoxidil works in the first place. Its hair restoring properties were just an unexpected side effect of a drug designed to treat hypertension. The hair restoring properties of Finasteride and Dutasteride (designed to treat enlarged prostates) were also unexpected side effects.

And the latest possible miracle hair treatment is Latanoprost (designed to treat glaucoma) ... also unexpected side effects.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/93/comment ... /wolf.html

Strikes me there's a pattern here and that our current scientific knowledge is based more on using the unexpected drug side effects to come up with theories about what causes hair loss rather than having any real understanding. Most of today's research is profit orientated too... it's gotta be something we can put in a bottle or a pill and sell to be worth testing.

Anyway, please let us know how you get on if you do try the onion juice!

Hi waterbaby,

I was just curious - is the onion juice still working for you? And how often are you doing it? Also, are you just applying it with a dropper or something and letting it sit for 30 min.?

Thanks!

Experienced Member

Seems to be! The front area (just behind the bangs) is still a lot thinner than I'd like and I can still see my scalp there, especially under bright lights, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. My hair feels better, looks a lot shinier and healthier and I think it's a bit denser too. I've only been doing this for about 3 months though and it would be very unrealistic of me to expect a really thick head of hair yet. I'm 6 years past menopause (no HRT), have had thinning hair for several decades and I have quite advanced autoimmune thyroid disease as well ... so there aren't many things working in my favor.

I do the onion treatment every 2-3 days before going to bed ...which reminds me, tonight is onion night!

I personally prefer to use onion puree not juice. I've just bought a juicer and I tried actual onion juice for the first time the other day, just poured it over my head and dripped into my eyes and stung like crazy! You'll have to experiment and see what method suits you best. Some people use filtered juice and apply with an eyedropper but I don't have an eyedropper.

The other thing I've been doing from time to time are home made hair rinses. I use edible herbs and anything else I find about the garden that I fancy chucking in. My last brew had rosemary, sage, basil, lavender leaves, parsley, lemon balm, fresh ginger, some nettles, a few dandelion leaves, some pine bark, some walnut husks, some elderberry flowers, some rose petals, a couple of scented geranium leaves, some wild blackberry leaves, some cumin powder and black pepper, a few drops of argan oil and a teaspoon of coconut oil ..... and I've probably forgotten some of the ingredients! It smelt rather nice. The walnut husks were there to color my brown hair a bit darker but you could use onion skins for a golden tawny colour or camomile tea if you're blonde.... and here are some more natural dye suggestions. (Isn't the internet wonderful)

http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.co ... r-dye.html

My "base" mixture always contains rosemary and sage but I don't always include oils. I was trying to find a way to do an oil treatment that didn't need about 6 consecutive shampoos to get out. By incorporating a little oil into the rinse I didn't need to shampoo it out at all so I'll probably be adding a little oil in future most times. (Sage is very good for hair but it does darken it too BTW)

You don't need a garden to do this. You can buy pots of fresh herbs (or freshly cut herbs) in most supermarkets or if your supermarket doesn't stock them, try a garden center.

To make, just throw everything into a largish saucepan and fill with water, bring to the boil and then pour everything into a glass bowl, let it steep for a few hours, and then strain into a jug. Warm the jug in a bain marie (not a microwave) before use so that it's tepid and let your hair just dry naturally if possible. You can do a final rinse with ACV if you want as well.

Experienced Member

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby
    I'm 6 years past menopause (no HRT), have had thinning hair for several decades and I have quite advanced autoimmune thyroid disease as well ... so there aren't many things working in my favor.

I do the onion treatment every 2-3 days before going to bed
    This sounds like me! (Post menopausal for 5 years and no HRT.) Three years ago, I found out I had Hashimoto's Disease which means I'm hypothyroid. My hair started thinning in the front in my later 40's, then the sides. Now my temples are scarce (pretty much bald) and the sides, I have bald spots. The rest of my scalp is holding up. I was doing the onion juice however, I got lazy and stopped.

Now I will start again. I love the way it made my scalp and thinning hair feel after use. Unlike minoxidil, which dried out my scalp and hair, the onion juice made it soft. I usually rinsed with ACV after the onion juice treatment. I also used this treatment on the frontal and sides only. I had some hair loss recently this year on the nape. I later found out it was inflamed and was given a topical steroid ointment to calm the scalp.

After the steroid treament for a week, I started using castor oil alternating with emu oil in that area. Slowly my hair started coming back. The inflammation only pops up once in awhile with NO additional hair loss.

I'm still trying to understand why my hair loss is affecting only these areas of my scalp. I was told I had CCCA, however, I have no hair loss in my crown. It's amazing that the rest of my scalp is normal and not diffused. (One Dermatologist thought I would be a good candidate for a hair transplant in the are of loss.)

Thanks so much for the additional info of onion juice. I posted a thread about this subject last year. And thanks for the links of what "may" cause the hair loss. Sometimes using these natural remedy's could help others. Everyone reacts differently to treatments. What may work for one, may not work for another. But then again, it's the same when using medications. Personally, I prefer the natural route.

Any new updates from the people using onion juice? Are you guys getting any regrowth?