female alopecia
transplants

IS ALOPECIA ITCHY?

My scalp is always itchy i have lost a great deal on my sides, and front hair line is receeding.

I have used hair relaxers before.
    I put my hair in tight buns because its too thick.

However i realize now that its thinning extremely and balding in some spots.

Im worried that itchyness means the hair folicicles are dying, if thats the case im going completley bald then lol.

I am 23.

Experienced Member

Re: IS ALOPECIA ITCHY?

Hi, this sounds like my post I had to check the name! My hair is thinning on the front/bang area and my temples and am SOOOO itchy and tingling where I almost cant take it anymore. I have been using the Ketoconazole shampoo for a couple week now but not helping!
    It is bad enough that it is thinning but the itch/crawling feeling just reminds me of it because it's in the same areas as HL!

I said this to mycurlyhair - when my HL has been at its most active (losing it/falling out) it has itched and burned like crazy. I did find some relief with Nizoral and later by trying Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar to cleanse my scalp. I don't really know why alopecia makes the head itch and/or burn etc. A lot of people with hair loss seem to complain about this though.

alodrummer - have you been to the doctor about your HL and itching? Sometimes people can have scalp disorders that can be treated that present with itching, so it's always worth ruling one of those out.

Experienced Member

Mine is very itchy while it is inflamed. Once inflamation goes down, ithch goes too. Apple Cider Vinegar works great for the itch.