female alopecia
transplants

Large Cap Size Wigs - Frustrated

What do you ladies with larger than average size heads do when you're wig shopping? It's so frustrating. There are about 20 large cap size wigs and 99% of them are the same super short curly hair cut that my grandmother favors. Not my style! I'm only 25, I don't want to have the same hairstyle as my grandmother. My bio hair is a long angled bob with side swept bangs. I'm also getting married in 7 months and I'll need a wig for my wedding, something romantic and medium length either with curls or that I can do pretty braids and a half up-do with.

Do you order custom wigs? How much do they cost? Where are you getting them?

Do you have a standard wig modified/enlarged? I've read about stretching it while wet over a Styrofoam head and adding more elastic to the band (scares me a bit!).

Do you just deal with either the awful selection or a poorly fitting, tight wig?

Are there any brands that have an average size that's a little bigger than most other wig makers?

(This is cross-posted on another Alopecia forum)

I can completely understand your frustration! I have a large head size also and have found it very difficult to find styles that I like and that fit. I currently have shoulder length wavy hair and there is nothing like that in a large. I am currently going to go with the Raquel Welch Voltage as it looks the most realistic and I do really look better in shorter hair.

Have you looked at the Zara or Angelique by Jon Renau that both come in a large? Possibly, the Zara could be cut shorter to match your style. I have tried Angelique and it is really nice. It just didn't match my coarser, wavy hair. It does have bangs though. There are some other companies that carry large wig sizes: Paula Young, The Wig Company, Beauty Trends and TLC Direct. I have found the quality to be a little less predictable than the mainstream companies but some ladies have had very good luck with them. The good thing is that they will let you return a wig within 30 days without a restocking fee so you are only out the postage to try one.

You can have a wig stretched or clipped to make it larger if it is close to your size. Gabor, Estetica and Raquel Welch tend to run a little bigger than others in my experience. For me they fit in circumference but the ear tabs are too high so it will all depend on your individual measurements. It would be great if you could go to a wig salon and try some on to see how they fit. They will cost a lot more from a salon than online, but it would help you see what might work and what fits the best and then you could order one online if you are not comfortable with their price.

Check out wigsroyal.com. I just bought an instock half wig and I love it! Prices are resonable and they do custom wigs if you have a few weeks to wait for it to be made. If you give them your head measurments they can make a wig any size you need. Their human hair is great quality. They do have an awesome return policy. You can return it and exchange the piece for something else if it does not work, but you can not get your money back. Its a better policy then most places that are final sales.

Experienced Member
    I know what you mean! At the very 1st wig store that I ever went to, the sales person measured my head, and she said that I have a large head. So, she had me try on wigs that she thought would fit, and they were all just like you mentioned, styles that my grandmother would favor. Those aren't for me. So I went to the next store, and basically the same thing. Then I went to a 3rd store and hallelujah... we found ones that fit me. I bought the Rene of Paris, Noriko, "Jackson". It fit me great. I have been able to wear the majority of Rene of Paris wigs. You might try that brand. I have also worn Jon Renau and Raquel Welch. From what I have heard and seen, the caps of Raquel Welch's wigs run larger. I have also tried one of the Revlon wigs. I had the "Scorpio" in two different colors, and that is probably the largest wig that I have ever worn. It was probably too big for my head, but I wore it anyway. Don't feel like there aren't options for you because there are so you aren't alone. A lot of them come with adjustable straps so sometimes that will help to enlarge the wig.

I agree... if you would visit a store to try some on if you haven't already, that would help a lot. You could ask to try on the brands that were mentioned. Once you figure out what you like, you could start ordering online. Some online stores offer returns or you could sell the wig on eBay if you don't end up liking any that you order. You can save money by shopping at the online stores, but going to a wig store instead can insure that you buy one that you love. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Also... I would suggest that you join wigsupport.com. I am a member, and it is a great website. It can be very helpful, and the members wear all kinds of wigs.
    If you would like to view my blog, please click on the link below.
    http://lifeasabaldgirl.wordpress.com/

I just received a new wig in the mail from a different brand, APlus OZone, and it fits so much better than the Renee of Paris that I was in love with! Their wigs are super cheap too, but as far as I can tell the quality is about the same. They have several lace front and a few lace front and back wigs. What makes them fit better is that the cap is made with much more elastic. Instead of sewing the wefts to herringbone ribbon, they've sewn them to elastic. And the sides that curve from temple to nape along the ear are made up of a stretch netting. This entire thing stretches to fit your head perfectly and I'm in love with it. If you have a large head then I recommend you check out this brand. I'll post a picture once I get it cut this weekend.

Experienced Member
    That is great news!! I have heard of OZone, but I haven't tried one yet. Can't wait to see the picture.
    If you would like to view my blog, please click on the link below.
    http://lifeasabaldgirl.wordpress.com/

blb1980
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal77 View Post
    I just received a new wig in the mail from a different brand, APlus OZone, and it fits so much better than the Renee of Paris that I was in love with! Their wigs are super cheap too, but as far as I can tell the quality is about the same. They have several lace front and a few lace front and back wigs. What makes them fit better is that the cap is made with much more elastic. Instead of sewing the wefts to herringbone ribbon, they've sewn them to elastic. And the sides that curve from temple to nape along the ear are made up of a stretch netting. This entire thing stretches to fit your head perfectly and I'm in love with it. If you have a large head then I recommend you check out this brand. I'll post a picture once I get it cut this weekend.
    Where did you find your wig? APlus OZone. I am looking for larger sized wigs myself as the average ones do not fit my head. I'm really looking for human hair wigs with larger caps.