female alopecia
transplants

I just read that hair loss due to iron deficiency can look like AGA

I still think I have AGA, because I do find what look like miniaturized hairs (short, very fine, unpigmented). Also my most affected area is the top of my head. That being said, I do feel like I have general thinning all over my head, and I don't find any miniaturized hairs either in the back or sides, where my hair also feels thinner (I've always had thin hair though, so maybe I'd never paid attention to how thin it really is). To add to confusion, though, now I read this:

The loss of this ferritin from the follicle cells can effect the ability of the hair to grow. This leads to the development of vellus (non pigmented fine hairs) which can be an early indication of deficiency. The presence of vellus hairs is easily mistaken for minaturized hair seen in androgenic alopecia. We should note here that Iron deficiency hair loss could therefore mimic the pattern of androgenic alopecia hair loss.
    Source: http://www.hairsite2.com/library/article194.htm

I don't know how legit or reliable that site is, but it still got me thinking. I don't know if I could have an iron deficiency (or any other nutrient for that matter)... I mean, I have dry skin, I feel lethargic, my nails are brittle and thin (but only from time to time, at times the seem to get better), I have low sex drive... I never thought those symptoms could be linked to iron deficiency, but I don't know, it sounds more like thyroid problems but my thyroid is supposed to be fine! (I did read that an iron deficiency can mess with some thyroid hormones, though, but I'm no doctor)

I also have insulin resistance, without PCOS (at least that's what the doctor said). Maybe I'm just overthinking this and it's simply genetic, though for both of my parents their hair loss started at least after they turned 40 (and I'd said my mom's started later, with menopause). I'm 24... my sister also has this problem, though (she's 25). So maybe we just got awful genes, but I digress.

Any thoughts on this?

Experienced Member
    I read that too and it fueled my wishful thinking for a while

Who knows? Check your ferritin and if it's 40 or lower try to elevate it (under supervision of course), it can't hurt.

I'm keeping search about that and alot of artical was discussed the same topic, I don't know sometimes I do believe the iron or the mineral has effect, but some physician ignore it if they found the iron, TIBC in Normal range

Experienced Member
    This was exactly my personal experience. Each and every derm I consulted with "diagnosed" with AGA from simply looking at my scalp. I finally had a biopsy last year and it revealed CTE, no evidence of AGA whatsoever. My Ferritin was 9 for most of my adult life. My hair fell out in buckets and regrew very thin, lightweight and fluffy. After raising the level to 60 over the course of 1 year, I regrew tons of hair, at least 30% of what I had lost. This was 20 years after having hair loss. I still lose lots of hair from stressful events in my life, but hair regrows much faster and thicker, looks like normal hair. At any given time, I have tons of tiny hairs regrowing. This is what truly differentiates CTE from AGA, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HairyIssues View Post
    This was exactly my personal experience. Each and every derm I consulted with "diagnosed" with AGA from simply looking at my scalp. I finally had a biopsy last year and it revealed CTE, no evidence of AGA whatsoever. My Ferritin was 9 for most of my adult life. My hair fell out in buckets and regrew very thin, lightweight and fluffy. After raising the level to 60 over the course of 1 year, I regrew tons of hair, at least 30% of what I had lost. This was 20 years after having hair loss. I still lose lots of hair from stressful events in my life, but hair regrows much faster and thicker, looks like normal hair. At any given time, I have tons of tiny hairs regrowing. This is what truly differentiates CTE from AGA, imo.
    Oh that's good to know, I just wish I could tell which are the hairs that are growing, because despite the fact that the top of my head has thinned considerably, the amount of hair still makes it a bit difficult for me to really check each hair, also because my hair is so fine it's difficult to tell individual strands from one another, especially really short ones. I have the typical short hairs in my hairline, and I also have a lot of short hairs around the crown area and part that kind of "stand up" because they're shorter and look like frizz, but which are like 1 in. long. I don't know if they're hairs which are growing, miniaturizing (because even my terminal hair is fine) or broken (doubtful, because the tips don't look like those of typical breakage).

But I don't know, in any case I've just been learning about the multiple vitamin and mineral deficiencies which can cause hair loss. For anyone to whom this might be interesting, I read in a PCOS forum that a vitamin D deficiency can cause a lot of hair loss, and many women have experienced regrowth when they corrected it. Also some people, especially those with diabetes or similar conditions (I have insulin resistance, so this might be me) experience hair loss and other nasty symptoms due to zinc deficiencies... I've never paid attention to micronutrients, but now I think I will, mainly for my hair but also because these deficiencies can bring a host of nasty symptoms!

I was also looking at pictures of when I was younger (like between 11 - 13 years old) and my hair seemed a bit thicker (but not much because I've always had thin hair), but my hair didn't seem as fine and "fluffy", so maybe there's more to this than just AGA... my hair still looks shiny and pretty, but not as glossy as back then... and I've also noticed that now it gets tangled much easier, I guess due to it being so fine.

So we'll see at least I hope this might help other women

Hi Bellatrix,
    When I was first diagnosed with AGA in my early 30s I was also anaemic. Taking iron tablets caused me to regrow some hair that helped to disguise the AGA. Just over 2 years ago my GP found my Vit D was very low and again supplements gave me some regrowth. In the last 6 months I've added in Evening Primrose and Omega-3. I kind of wish I hadn't started them together so I'd know which one was working but one of them is. I have some new hair sticking up. It's not a lot but I'll take anything.Of course, the AGA is still there! Luckily I started with very thick hair and at almost 57 have just started using Toppik for extra confidence although I can still get away without it. Note, I'm also taking Androcur which has also helped however as I find it takes about 3-4 months for the results of anything to show I can tell which product/s (apart from the Omega-3 and Primrose) are responsible for regrowth. I obviously have the genes for FPB but I find it intriguing that supplements can still help after all this time.