female alopecia
transplants
    karibarry

Dr. Is ignoring my hair loss and ferritin level of 5

My hair has been thinning for about 2 years now and it was always brushed off as stress. No one ever did blood work until recently. My ferritin level was at 5 and my b12 was low. I have started weeklyb12 injections but all they have done for the ferritin is said that my hgb and hct is fine so don't worry about it. I don't feel right and haven't felt right in a long time. Something needs to be done or my hair is going to be gone and my sanity is going to be gone! I have almost pulled out in front of cars because my brain is in such a fog. It is horrible.
    I have already switched from my one primary who ignored my ferritin level to another in hopes she would do something and she did nothing as well. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Experienced Member
    I had brain fog which I think came from my thyroid being messed up which by the way can cause hair loss. Have you had your thyroid checked? And not just TSH but T4, T3 and antibodies. If you do a search on here for tests you should find a comprehensive list of tests to ask for. Hair loss is only one of my symptoms although one of my most bothersome. I simply did not feel well and was tired, depressed, etc.

I go to an integrative doctor. They look at and test everything because so much is affected by each other. For example, your ovaries, adrenals and thyroid will pull each other down if one thing is off kilter. If you can find an integrative doctor they take time to listen and test many things. However some do not take insurance. Also some of their testing is not covered by insurance. You might want to consider an endocrinologist. If you have low ferritin and low B12 I bet you something else is off in your body.

karibarry
    I had my thyroid levels checked because thyroid issues do run in m family and they all were perfect. I also had a cortisol challenge and that was ok. So they said to just stick with the b12 injections and sent me on my way.

Experienced Member
    My dermatologist told me one time that vitamins and supplements need to be taken from 3-5 months to make a difference. Hopefully the vitamin B-12 injections will help in time.

Experienced Member
    Can you go to a derm or a hematologist? That is really low and I agree, needs to be looked into. Have you thought about taking Iron?

karibarry
    Quote Originally Posted by mycurlyhair View Post
    Can you go to a derm or a hematologist? That is really low and I agree, needs to be looked into. Have you thought about taking Iron?
    I am checking into seeing if I need a referral with my insurance to see a hematologist. I also saw my gyno about my monthly periods possibly being too heavy and we are doing a uterine ablation in a couple weeks to see if that does the trick but I don't think that is it because I only started getting my monthly period again 6 months ago because I had an IUD for 5 years and I had symptoms during that time. So I know the anemia isn't due to the periods. I am still doing the ablation though because I know the heavy periods don't help the anemia either!
    I am just a mess! And I want my thick long hair back!

Experienced Member
    I know It sucks! I saw my hema doctor yesterday and my ferritin is now 22. He said he does not believe the whole ferritin must be in the 70's for hair to grow. I dont know? I said its all over the internet. lol
    He also said women with their periods will not have high ferritin levels, especially if you have heavy bleeding, which I do too. 5 is low though, if mine went down he was going to do IV iron but he also said there can be risk with that. You might be anemia though. My iron was 75 which was normal but I still want my ferritin up. He said I could take a multivitamin just so it doesnt go any lower. My platelets (sp?) are high for the first time so we are going to re rest that just to make sure.