female alopecia
transplants
    Banned

difference between men and women's rogaine

why is there a difference?
    why is men targeted at crown while women targeted on top of scalp?

The difference is that men's rogaine is 5% minoxidil versus the women's 2%. Generally men show more balding the the crown area and temples, while women can have it mainly in the front of the scalp, but really all over. I was confused when I first starting using the men's version because its says that it is not intended for use anywhere but the crown of the head, which isn't true. The crown is just the only place that tests have been preformed, but its been proven to work all over the scalp. If you are considering using it, definitely see a doctor/dermatologist/etc first, because it doesn't work for everyone and once you start I am pretty sure that you are dependent on it for life.

There really is no difference except for the fact that the Men's Rogaine is stronger. I suspect the language is due to marketing; women tend to lose hair diffusely while men lose it more on the crown. I don't think there have been any studies that show it works differently in men and women.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, acr3m! Jinx.

Banned
    ok. the thing is that if you read the package. rogaine for men specifically says it helps only with the top vertex only compared to women which says general thinning all over scalp.

so i was wondering do they target specific areas?

i have included the package.

http://www.amazon.com/Rogaine-Regrow...=rogaine+women

http://www.amazon.com/Rogaine-Regrow...rogaine+liquid

Right, but like I said, the language is based on the typical pattern of hair loss seen in men and women and what the studies were concerned with. It doesn't mean if you are a woman with thinning at the top vertex it won't work or vice versa. The makers of Rogaine cannot make claims unless there are studies to back them up. For instance, they will not say that Rogaine may work on the front hairline or temples but many people find it does.

My dermatologist recommended using the men's foam to start with.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world-
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
    My dermatologist recommended using the men's foam to start with.
    why foam and not liquid? what about the 2% liquid for women?

Experienced Member
    People think the foam is less irritating to the scalp and less greasy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by acr3m View Post
    The difference is that men's rogaine is 5% minoxidil versus the women's 2%. Generally men show more balding the the crown area and temples, while women can have it mainly in the front of the scalp, but really all over. I was confused when I first starting using the men's version because its says that it is not intended for use anywhere but the crown of the head, which isn't true. The crown is just the only place that tests have been preformed, but its been proven to work all over the scalp. If you are considering using it, definitely see a doctor/dermatologist/etc first, because it doesn't work for everyone and once you start I am pretty sure that you are dependent on it for life.
    hi
    front scalp means mid scalp or top scalp. is that right? i have included the link diagram for all scalp. so 5% is much stronger than 2%?

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/imag...falls-fig3.jpg

http://www.dermatology.org.my/images/anatomy.jpg