female alopecia
transplants

Iron Supplements vs. Blackstrap Molasses

Does anyone know if it's ok to take iron supplements instead of molasses and still receive the same benefits?

I've had a decreased shed with the molasses, but it is very difficult to take (as many of you know). I was hoping to switch to iron pills, but not sure how much to take, if it's safe and if I'll have the same results.

Thanks!

Re: Iron Supplements vs. Blackstrap Molasses

hey, I'm no expert but iron suppliments can make your body do different things depending on the dosage. One thing is constipation because since iron is a metal, it has an effect on the neurons in your brain that causes digestion to slow down. Also it hardens the arteries by inhibiting some sort of protien in the blood vessels. This is long term effects.
    I'll play the safe road by suggesting you consult a physician. Most people on this site will also give you that advice.

However, I have not taken that advice myself. I've been taking iron for four months with no complaints accept constipation for that i take a fiber pill. and my shed had cut back!

Molassas is different from suppliments because some people dont absorb the iron from a pill, they need to get it from the liquid - but I would switch because I'd be worried about my teeth rotting out.

This may be kind of a silly question, but how does one take molasses? I've never had it. I assume it's kind of like honey or something...do you eat it with pancakes?

I too have had issues with being "backed up" while taking iron, but I've heard that people have less of this issue when they take Slow Fe. I'm bought a generic brand from Target that I'm going to try soon, so I'll let you all know how it goes (as I just recently got tested, my ferritin level is at 7. 7!!! Geez).

Coolgirl- what do you mean you would be worried about rotting out from the molasses? Is there a side effect I am not aware of?

I just take the molasses by mixing it with about 2 cups of water and then plug my nose and chug! It's really hard to take, the taste is absolutely horrendous!

oops, I meant to say my teeth rotting out. sorry if I worried you. I tried it for a while by taking it on a tablespoon and I felt i had to brush my teeth right after.

Is Slow Fe a timed release iron suppliment? I've read somewhere on the net (not that I should believe everything I read on here) that with the timed release it doesnt always get absorbed properly because the beginning part of your large intestine is what does the breaking down and absorbing of iron, and with the slow release stuff it may pass right thru without doing its job. It may be why you wouldnt get constipated from it.

Experienced Member

I did the black strap for awhile, its really not that bad, want to try something bad get Floradix iron liquid - now that is nasty stuff and I can tollerate just about anything

I found a recipe on Earth Clinic for black strap molasses that makes the molasses palatable for me:

ONE LARGE MUG
    2 BAGS OF LIPTON CARMEL TRUFFLE TEA
    ONE TBSP EVCO [Extra Virgin Coconut Oil]
    ONE TBPS BLACK STRAP MOLASSES
    ONE HALF TO ONE TBSP HONEY

POUR BOILING WATER OVER THE INGREDIENTS IN MUG AND STIR GENTLY WHILE STEEPING TO MELT THE COCONUT OIL.

I modified it somewhat - I don't take the Coconut Oil or Honey - the molasses will sweeten it. I also add milk.