female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

will a wig make your hair fall out ?

My hair is growing somewhat but is so thin on the sides now and thick in the back , the top is somewhat full but still thin ( different lenghts all over ) I just want to cover it all till it grows 2 or 3" more but I dont want the wig to make it fall out.
    do you know what I mean? I figure out of sight out of mind and maybe less stress and more new hair ( I can hope cant I )
    thanks
    Linda
    ( if tears were gold I would be a billionaire)

Mirror , mirror on the wall please don't let me see the hairs that fall ..

Re: will a wig make your hair fall out ?

I dont think a wig will make your hair fall out as long as you wash your bio hair regularly and make sure the wig has good ventilation.

Hi

No, it won't. Hair does what it does and if you want to wear a wig feel safe and know it's ok. I've been AU for years but the lady that sells me my wig has regrown her hair a couple of times while she was wearing her wig.

Go for it.

QT

hi valentine, my friend got a wig with clips and she said it definitely exacerbated her loss. for those of us with aga, the hair becomes thinner and weaker so i think it is important not to put unnecessary stress on it. perhaps getting those silicone clips merry wrote about and periodically rotate the clips could help. also when i went to allegria to try out wigs just out of curiosity, i could barely tolerate those clips for the 15 minutes i was trying them on. but maybe the lady fitting them had just done it harshly...i'm not sure. My advice is to be gentle to your hair (i generally avoid all the pulling of hair drying, tight hair dos, braids, etc).
    "because you are breathing, the earth is not a cold dead place."

HI

I may have misunderstood I thought you had AA and with that particular doosy of a condition - it just does as it pleases when it pleases. Well, that's my experience at least. Sorry, if I misunderstood.

QT

I have wore a topper with clips since last Feb and the hair on the top has not come out but gotten fuller . the sides are not as full but I can feel little stubles like I did on the top. so I just want to cover it till it looks somewhat better ( tired of trying to blend topper with thin sides ). I probably will get a volumizer wig later if all goes well I can only hope and pray it does .

thanks

PS I think my loss is due to age and stress

I was wondering not so much if wigs or toppers make additional hair fall out...but if they will inhibit regrowth since there is something pressing down on the scalp? Is that silly?
    Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination~Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by ttc
    I was wondering not so much if wigs or toppers make additional hair fall out...but if they will inhibit regrowth since there is something pressing down on the scalp? Is that silly?

This is what I was told on another site by someone who works with wigs and helps people with them . so im keeping my fingers crossed. plus I wont wear it at home , just when I go out.

(((A wig will cause your head to warm up. When anything warms up, it creates more blood flow in that area & increased blood flow means fresh nutrients are being brought to the follicles, so in theory, wearing a wig could help your hair grow!

The key is comfort. If you feel comfortable you are ok. If it feels scrathy or pulling, it is likely to be doing just that & thats baaad. )))

Experienced Member

whose the little boy in your avatar??? so cute!!!! I wanna squeeze his cheeks!!

Using clips is not very wise for someone with alopecia androgenetica; better only a wire comb in the back and pieces of double sided tape or glue on the temples.
    If you can feel the clips, as Ofmontreal wrote, then they are not attached in the right way.
    A wig is not pressing down anything, unless perhaps when it is too small or perhaps a vacuŁm wig, but that's also very unlikely.
    Being AGA-patient I am wearing a full wig now for 2 years and my hair is somewhat better now without any medication, perhaps because of a better blood circulation.