female alopecia
transplants
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Omega 3 and hair loss

Fish oil in and of itself is not going to cause hair loss. (Sigh!) Why WOULD it? It's a proven anti-inflammatory. And there'd have to be something IN its composition -- from the prespective of chemistry -- to cause you to lose hair. What would that BE? Just make sure that your fish oil is molecularly distilled. You don't want it containing mercury, etc.

And yes, it's wise to know how supplements and medicines can affect each other and to space them apart if need be. And fish oil may slow down absorption of some vitamins/minerals, but that's not going to be enough to cause bald spots! Besides, you may be eating something else -- e.g., a lot of citrus or enzymes -- that makes your absorption of vitamins/minerals quicker overall.

This is really subtle stuff, and I believe it's a red herring (pardon the pun) when it comes to hair loss: that is, focusing on "dietary nuances" merely deflects attention away from the more likely causes of hair loss (hormonal disorders, immunological disorders, genetics, etc.). If fish oil caused hair loss, then all of Canada's coastal aboriginal peoples (especially in the far north) would be balding. Do you realize how much fish and fish oil some people eat on a regular basis?

Look for reputable scholarly sources, ladies -- don't believe everything you hear and read. What's it going to be next: olive oil causes hair loss? Sunflower oil? Butter?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickadee
    Fish oil in and of itself is not going to cause hair loss. (Sigh!) Why WOULD it? It's a proven anti-inflammatory. And there'd have to be something IN its composition -- from the prespective of chemistry -- to cause you to lose hair. What would that BE? Just make sure that your fish oil is molecularly distilled. You don't want it containing mercury, etc.

And yes, it's wise to know how supplements and medicines can affect each other and to space them apart if need be. And fish oil may slow down absorption of some vitamins/minerals, but that's not going to be enough to cause bald spots! Besides, you may be eating something else -- e.g., a lot of citrus or enzymes -- that makes your absorption of vitamins/minerals quicker overall.

This is really subtle stuff, and I believe it's a red herring (pardon the pun) when it comes to hair loss: that is, focusing on "dietary nuances" merely deflects attention away from the more likely causes of hair loss (hormonal disorders, immunological disorders, genetics, etc.). If fish oil caused hair loss, then all of Canada's coastal aboriginal peoples (especially in the far north) would be balding. Do you realize how much fish and fish oil some people eat on a regular basis?

Look for reputable scholarly sources, ladies -- don't believe everything you hear and read. What's it going to be next: olive oil causes hair loss? Sunflower oil? Butter?

Hmmm good point.

Experienced Member SabrinaLouise's Avatar

I agree-I don't think fish oil causes hair loss. MAYBE high doses of heavy-metal contaminated fish oil taken over a lengthy period of time could affect your thyroid but I'm with chickadee...I'd look to hormone imbalance, whether thyroid or other first.

Click on the link below and click on the link she provided...fish oil can cause hair loss, when i was on it, my hair loss got worse,
    Din

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9565

Hi again, Din
    This link strikes me as purely anecdotal -- not at all scientific or credible. Once again, what is IN the fish oil that would cause hair loss? It's just a fat (and not even a hydrogenated one). And why fish oil and not butter? Or olive oil? Or lard? Avocado fat?

As I said previously, many people in the world (such as Northern aboriginal peoples) eat an extraordinarily high amount of fish and fish oil, and they're not all balding (although they do have a lower incidence of heart disease).

I suppose if fish oil did cause hair loss, then not consuming it should "cure" hair loss. But it doesn't. At least, I've never heard of anyone recovering from hair loss just by not eating fish oil.

I suppose if you insist that eating fish oil has caused your TE, then I can only wish you the best. If I were you, though, I would look to the more likely causes (hormones, immunological disorders, genetics, etc.).

I take a high amount of krill oil every day (which is much more potent in fact than regular fish oil, which I used to take). I believe there's a lot of evidence that it is extremely good for the cardiovascular system. Eating enough fat also facilitates good hormone production, and it's also good for the quality of your skin, nails, hair, etc. I don't believe it's had any impact on my hair shed/loss, but -- as I said -- if you do, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Experienced Member

My Dr told me to stop taking it because the murcury content in most is just too high since I don't process metals well. The only brand I know that is low in nurcury is Nordic naturals.

Experienced Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucasluis
    Omega 3 fatty acids have been confirmed to work delights for your heart and it is fats have blood thinning activity. hair loss just by not eating fish oil.

Admin-

Can you quickly do away with lucasluis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani Bram
    Hi. Just into your article regarding Omega 3 and hair loss.... My hair was thinning for over twenty years with no explanation as to why. Although it did start after taking birth control pills twenty years ago which I had stopped about 15 years ago but my hair continued to fall out and quite like male pattern baldness. Two month ago, I started to take 2 x 1500mg fish oil and 2 x Evening Primose oil THREE times a day, so six of each a day, and all of a sudden, my bald spots have started filling in and I am seeing massive new growth!!! Nothing had ever worked before!!! I hope this helps some people with hair loss.

Experienced Member

Hi. Just into your article regarding Omega 3 and hair loss.... My hair was thinning for over twenty years with no explanation as to why. Although it did start after taking birth control pills twenty years ago which I had stopped about 15 years ago but my hair continued to fall out and quite like male pattern baldness. Two month ago, I started to take 2 x 1500mg fish oil and 2 x Evening Primose oil THREE times a day, so six of each a day, and all of a sudden, my bald spots have started filling in and I am seeing massive new growth!!! Nothing had ever worked before!!! I hope this helps some people with hair loss.
    Thanks for posting i'm taking note! I'm going to buy and see if it helps me!!!!

Experienced Member

Just to let you know... a month since posting my success with the high doses of fish oil and evening primose oils, my hair is still rapidly growing back! Seems to be just what I needed!! Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
    Does anyone knows what brands of fish oil and evening primrose oils she was using?

I dont think she comes back regularly since her hair loss is solved.