female alopecia
transplants
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wig Salons in D.C. metro area (kinda long)

Hey everybody,

I've been a member of this board forever but have been lurking or absent the past couple of years. I've used toppers and finally went for the plunge and went up to NYC and got custom fitted for a lace front wig. I had avoided that moment because I went to that salon in Wheaton, MD that everyone knows about it and had a traumatic experience getting my topper cut in- the owner asked me what I was doing in her store, I said excuse me, she said, you don't even have any hair, don't you have cancer? (which I don't, I have AGA). She manhandled my topper and told me it sucked and pretty much made me start to cry. (but the stylist who cut my topper was super nice, I'll give them that)

Anyways, my custom wig wasn't ready on time for an out of town wedding (this was in late June) that I had looked forward to forever and I was freaking out. I went to Bravadas in Fairfax, VA but couldn't afford the hh wigs so I picked out a synthetic and told the lady if I decided to get it I would call her for overnight delivery the next day. I really wanted hh though because it would be my first wig and there would be lots of pictures taken and I wasn't comfortable knowing that synthetic would look shiny in the pictures.

The next day I called and told the Bravadas lady to please order it for me. I was on cellphone and shopping at the mall in Springfield, VA. As I was leaving the parking lot I saw Joi Wigs and decided to walk in. I saw a hh wig that was in the low 300's, I asked if the hair was a match, Suki said it was Middle Eastern hair and remy and would be coarse for a Caucasian but would go perfect with me because I was Asian. Keep in mind the storeowner Suki is Asian and of course that made me trust her 'judgment' more. I asked her the same question numerous times (is this hair a natural match for me) and then had her cut it in. I was in a time crunch, and was mesmerized I guess by her salesmanship, and even tipped her well. Well I go home a few hours later and realize it's yaki hair. I call back the next day trying to come up with some kind of compensation (even if it is a small discount) and started off as amicably as I could when she immediately started berating me and saying I was wrong it's not yaki and what was my problem, she's been in the industry forever and NEVER had a problem with a customer and she had even cut the hair for me for free (which is her store policy anyways and a pretty standard one I would say). I told her, I went home, realized outside of her store's gloomy lights that the texture of the hair was characteristic of yaki, looked up the wig on the internet and it was clearly marked as yaki on dozens of websites. I told her how could she not disclose that information to me. She said my problem is that I use the internet too much and I have too much information. She said, call the company they'll tell you it's not yaki. I said, let's call them together, I know they'll tell me what you're still trying to lie to me about. Then she said, it doesn't matter if it's yaki, you're being racist. I told her, that's not being racist, and even if it were, then why did you sell me this wig talking about how it would match Asian hair but not Caucasian hair? Basically, the lady was incredibly rude and unbelievable and hung up on me several times. She had absolutely NO empathy towards me whatsoever, in fact, her empathy was at a negative 100. Absolutely the WORST shopping experience of any kind I've ever had. I don't think anyone would disagree with me that as a customer I was entitled to know what product I was getting - it did NOT say yaki on the tag. (I've talked to four wig salon owners who said it was absolutely dishonest of Suki not to disclose that information to me and that the wig was widely known to be yaki, and that it was NOT a match for my hair.) I lost almost $400 total (tip, accessories, etc.) and was devastated because I had called to cancel the synthetic order right before I had the wig cut in at Joi's, and only 20 minutes after I called the order in. Thankfully the Bravadas lady was super nice about it, I felt bad cuz she'd been so helpful the night before.

I called Kathy, you guys all know she's very reputable and kind and highly professional. She said she would send me the synthetic wig overnight just in case I needed it. I also called Diahna in Maryland based on two great reviews I found on the internet. Both of them were great. I even started crying to Diahna over the phone and she was cool about it. I noticed on her website she sold wigs, I asked her if she had any available. She sent me pictures of one she had available, a european hh wig. The price was wayyy reasonable so I didn't expect too much by the time I got there. When I did get there I was in shock at the quality. I'm pretty new to wigs but have still felt hh on wigs/toppers before and this hair was completely in another league. Even though I was definitely hurting financially from all my wig misadventures Diahna offered me a great payment plan and I knew that I had an amazing opportunity to buy that wig at that price. So I went for it. I knew I should be really wary and cautious but 1) I didn't have have any time left before my flight out 2) just talking to Diahna over the phone and in person, I knew I'd found another genuine person like Kathy. I felt like I could trust her.

Basically, when she finished cutting the hair she told me to look up at the mirror. I was too busy concentrating on the front base of the wig since it wasn't lacefront and that is the part I'm most paranoid about. She was like, '..well??' Then I realized she had finished cutting my hair. My jaw dropped- It was absolutely the freshest, natural looking, modern haircut that I never would've expected from a wig (and had never seen anything so good even on my friends' real hair), and it had a lot of swing. It looked hot, that's all I got to say. It wasn't lacefront, but the quality of it and the way Diahna cut it, an average person would've had no idea. The only problem was it was too big for me so it had a sliding problem (my hair is too thin for pins to really hold it in place), but I knew that going into the purchase and I was fine with it.

I went to the wedding and I had to use a headband cuz of the wig's size issue, but my friend I roomed in the hotel was very surprised when I disclosed it was a wig. I had lots of fun and my hair looked great in all the photos. A couple weeks later I went back to NYC for my custom wig, which was kind of underwhelming compared to the hair quality and construction of the wig from Diahna. The wig guy has been in the industry for 20 yrs and has done lots of tv work and he couldn't get over the wig (I had brought it to show him) and HE is the one who said Diahna should cut the custom wig as well. He said the wig had amazing hair quality and construction especially for the price, and that Diahna was super talented. It made me feel good that he kept looking at the wig throughout my appointment and constantly complimenting Diahna's cutting skills and even asking me questions about her and her salon.

I already told her this, but I think I've definitely found a lifelong stylist in Diahna. Not only is she super talented, but I had so much fun during my appointment with her, she has a great personality. I definitely feel confident buying wigs from her in the future, I can't wait to be able to afford a custom from her. I haven't gone back or been in contact since June, but I just got an email with a flyer regarding her grand opening of a new store, I will give people info about it in another post so that it'll catch more people's attention, or you can pm me. People need to know about Diahna, I feel like I hit the jackpot, seriously.

Re: Wig Salons in D.C. metro area (kinda long)

Hi Starry,

I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this, but I'm really glad to hear you found a solution with a happy ending. I live in MD and have heard a lot about Diahna. I was considering having her cut in my topper when I get it. I'm really glad to hear such rave reviews about someone in the area.

Would you mind disclosing what the place was in Wheaton that was so incredibly rude to you? I just want to make sure I stear clear. You can PM me if you'd rather not say publicly, although I think this person sounds like they deserve some bad publicity.

Thanks again for sharing your story!

Hey Missmyhair, Thank you for your reply and your kind words!
    I'm definitely one of those people that had a huge fear of having to wear wigs and all the negative experiences really really had me down. I'm also relatively young (26) so it added pressure to me to find a wig and a stylist that would not allow me to feel vibrant and youthful, because having lost so much hair definitely makes me feel and look much older than I am! I don't want to say the name of the salon out loud because I think they are active on the forums and do have some amount of positive support and were not as bad as JOI WIGS (PLEASE AVOID THAT SALON) but I will definitely PM you because better safe than sorry, right?
    Seriously, I want to encourage you to work with Diahna at least once. It's funny during my appointment I was like, it would be cool if you could be my stylist for my wedding day. I would have to get a man first, but hey, lol.
    I would love to keep in touch and hear from you if you decide to get your topper cut by Diahna and I'll pm the information to you right away! :-)

I just PM'd you back...thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep Diahna on the short list! She sounds great.

Starry,

Thanks so much for this post. I'm sorry you have had such bad time of this. I live in DC and have looked up Joi and Bravada- but haven't called yet- both places are not metro accessible and I was looking for more info before getting a car to get there. The woman from Joi seems so incredibly rude- thanks for the heads up. But seems like Bravada people are pretty nice.

Also - who and where is Dianha. I am in search of a topper that will need to be cut in and my stylist is willing to do it- but has no experience with it- and I would love to meet with her since you had a good experience.

Again- thanks for the great post

Hey Ecogirl, Bravadas had great customer service and a large selection of wigs, but I have to say that the prices were on the higher end. The lady was very patient however and allowed me to try on a lot of wigs. The fittings were on the showroom floor in front of a large mirror--I'm sure if you asked that she would allow you to have your fittings in private, I had no need because I was the only customer during that time.

Diahna's address along with her grand reopening (at a new location) if you would be interested in attending is as follows:

October,27 2008
    4pm-6pm
    1434 Fenwick Lane Silver Spring, Md 20910
    R.S.V.P by October 20,2008 at 202.641.8164 or by email at d@diahna.com

I'm not sure if I can make the grand opening but I will be going to her in the upcoming weeks to get my custom wig cut in, I will definitely report back and let you know what Diahna's new salon is like and find out more details about her line of wigs. I think all her wigs are european, but definitely at an amazing price. I'm going to repost her grand reopening information with a bit more information in another post.

Good luck Ecogirl, it's all trial and error, and it sucks when some people's bottom line is only money. In my experience, diahna in md., kathy in connecticut, and bravadas showed me a lot of class. I wish you the best and let me know if there's any other questions I can answer!!

I've gotten several pms asking me the name of the salon that I was too afraid to mention, I figure, why not- Amy of Denmark in Wheaton, MD. The person I had a problem with was the owner. It wasn't the worst experience in a salon but definitely one of the more uncomfortable starts to a visit. She manhandled my topper, flipped it, stretched it, and told me a hundred reasons why my topper sucked. The topper wasn't the best (not european, for example) but it was good for what I could afford and could be worked with, so it was pretty insulting and made me feel like I'd failed before I'd even started getting my topper cut in and it definitely made me tear and lump up big time. But the owner's daughter is actually who cut my topper in for me and she was a sweetheart.

Also, this just reminds me of Suki at Joi Wigs again. She asked me, why did you lose your hair, is it cancer? To which I replied, no, I'm just unlucky, I guess. She immediately says in an admonishing tone, no, that's not unlucky, you know who's unlucky, my _____ who had cancer. I was like geez, half of her customers must have non-cancer related hair loss, and I wasn't trying to take anything away from people who are facing cancer, I was just pointing out I am unlucky in regards to hair. I'm sure I don't really have to explain my point, I'm sure everyone on here gets it.

Here's also the full email I received from Diahna's studio. There was a picture as well, but I don't know how to put it up and I don't want to put it up without her permission. It shows her sitting in her salon on a nice sofa loveseat with a hair drying station behind her, the seats under the hair dryers are comfy leather seats and the place has wooden floors. The place looks brand spanking new and is nice looking. If anyone wants to see the picture I will figure out how to pm it to you-

"We will be honored to have you as a guest to our Grand Re-Opening Launch celebration. We have expanded and moved our offices to a great new location. Come along and bring a friend or two and have some fun as we show you our new digs."

Sincerely,

Diahna Husbands
    Diahna Lynn Hair Studio

In celebration of our grand re-opening, we will be giving free makeovers to women battling cancer. They will get manicures, pedicures, massages and fashion tips. As an added bonus, lady's will recieve a free wigs from Diahna Lynn's collection each valued at $1,200. Please celebrate with us at the reception after the wonderful makeovers."October,27 2008
    4pm-6pm
    1434 Fenwick Lane Silver Spring, Md 20910
    R.S.V.P by October 20,2008 at 202.641.8164 or by email at d@diahna.com

About Us
    The mission of the Diahna Lynn Hair Enhancement Studio is to bring out the beauty of its clients through the art of hair and to help them gain self-confidence by providing innovative hair replacement solutions. "A salon should be a place where a woman can come to get her spirit uplifted," said Diahna. "I wanted to start that connection with women I've grown close to,"

Thanks so much for the information! Sorry for the delayed response as I am currently in Asia and will be for another two weeks so I can:t make the opening of the new salon- but will certainly contact her when I get back!! Thanks again.

I really appreciate these posts because I am in the DC area too. I used to post on these boards a long time ago (2004-2005) when my HL started. I too have been to Amy's and I thought I had been everywhere so I am glad to see there are other decent options. I finally settled on a place closer to Baltimore called Versacchi because I like one of the stylists named Sherri. Now I order hair from her and bond it myself.
    Dorothy