Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

1 year (and a few months) post rogaine update

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Tori, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I'm updating a bit sooner than I was planning to, but I just realized I don't know what I was waiting for exactly lol. The main thing I'm sure everyone was wondering about was if I'd lost my progress and how I'm doing after my dread shed. First, for those who are new to the boards, I quit Rogaine sometime around Nov 2009 after three years of use. My progress was about as much as I expected to ever get, which was thicker hair, but still see through in areas.. I believe it just causes more of the existing hair to grow at the same time, creating the appearance of more hair. Then I would get a seasonal shed (every summer) that would take my progress and I'd have to start all over again. It improved more each time for the first couple of years, but in the end I realized it just wasn't enough. Progress is one thing.. enough to keep me from covering my head was what I wanted though and although some people would be happy with what I ended up with.. I wasn't. I don't want a speck of scalp showing other than in my part. I wasn't going to get that with Rogaine and with the skin issues I was getting from it, I decided to quit. I don't believe in making claims after short periods of time on or off something. Regrowth happens regardless.. I think we should wait it out and see if our hair fills in before recommending something based on new hair. Going off something should be the same.. wait out the rough patch and see if things resume as normal or if it goes downhill from there. It's been over a year so I guess now is as good a time as any to update. I'll update again in another few months as well.

After I quit Rogaine that November, I waited and waited and nothing happened. My hair was staying put, no texture changes etc. Then the summer came and went.. my first summer since starting rogaine that I didn't have a massive seasonal shed (btw: I didn't get them before starting Rogaine. An important note I think). Finally, exactly a year after quitting, the shed began and in my opinion it was more of a newly scheduled seasonal shed than an "I stopped Rogaine" shed.. especially with it being a year later. It was actually less than my usual dread sheds, but still scary.. even a couple of hairs can be scary for us though, right? One night I counted hundreds of fallen hairs.. the rest of the shed was less thankfully. I questioned my decision a bit, but kept reminding myself the rogaine unknowns weren't worth it. The rogaine knowns weren't worth it either actually. So I pushed through it all and tried to stay positive. The first sign I did the right thing was my skin began glowing again. No more dull appearance. The big crater sized pores/follicles on my face began shrinking, my puffy eyes came down a bit.. I just looked more youthful. Nothing too drastic, but I looked healthier. Oh and the facial hair.. gone. I can't be sure of when my shed stopped because I stopped thinking about it, but now I'm seeing regrowth (I waited to see if the regrowth stayed put before posting, it's quite longish now).. if it keeps going the way it is, it will be as thick as it was on Rogaine and again.. I believe it's because Rogaine put my hair on a new schedule.. more hair growing at the same time. Which also might mean I can always look forward to annual dread sheds now. So far, the top of my head actually feels as thick as it was and my hairline is lower! My temples are sticking around, my bang area is a bit thinner, but still better than before rogaine, my eyebrows aren't as crazy, but they're also better than before rogaine. If this is how things will be for me and if I'm right about it just rescheduling my hair, I'm so glad I stopped using it.

Everything, so far, seems to be on the same track as it was on roagaine. I'm not saying this is how it will work for everyone who quits and my theories on how it works are mine alone. This is just my experience and I hope it helped :)

2. RugBug

RugBug Guest

sooo...Tori....IF you were me....3 1/2 months in...slight temple regrowth....but insanely see through hair.....would you continue or stop Rogaine?

3. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's such a personal choice.. I would have stopped regardless. You chose it for a reason though and considering 3 months is actually pretty quick, sticking with it will obviously only give you more results. Good luck :)

4. RugBug

RugBug Guest

I just feel like I am (we all are) are going at this totally blind. We go to derms, endo's, ob/gyns...NDs...witch doctors?? all trying to not find a "cure"...but to figure out if there even IS one. And, NONE of them know. This would all be SO much easier if there were cut and dry answers. More so than not, we don't even know WHO to call when the problem presents itself. When I asked my friend, the derm, why aren't there more hair loss doctors out there...his answer was a HUGE ah hah moment...."Hair loss isn't medical".
    How much easier would this ALL be if we all just accepted it. I just feel that since mine didn't start until my 48th year, it MUST be something I've done...or NOT done.....but if someone/ANYONE could tell me there is nothing I can do...I'd give up and happily wear hair grown from someone else's hair.... this purgatory is what's really getting me down...not knowing if I'm doing the right thing and having most people not even care if it is or not.....
    Truth is...I HAVE accepted it. I see it happening so quickly everyday....but then, I'll hear a friend say..."if you just stopped thinking about it, it'll grow back".....I think that's not the way it works......
    okay...done with my rant for the day.....

5. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    You're right.. it's not the way it works. The most we can do is accept our new normal, make the best of it and push through till we find an answer that helps us sleep at night. Maybe a cure will come.. until then though, we have to ensure our quality of life is the best it can be. It's a choice.. and so is living in sadness and holding ourselves back. My choice was to live as though a cure was never coming. I go through my down moments because of that choice.. but otherwise, I'm able to live a happy life and keep my eyes on the prize without getting my hopes up too high. If a cure comes, bonus! If it doesn't, I've already prepared myself and sought out the things that will keep me happy through it all.

6. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Thats great to hear, Tori. Thanks for updating us. Do you know what you think caused your hair loss in the first place? Are you on the pill or taking vitamins?

I think you're right on rogaine causing your existing good hair to grow even more as i think that might be whats happened to me. A while back i got thinking i might be able to cope without it and was applying about once a week and i'm sure my whole length barely grew at all.

7. RugBug

RugBug Guest

oh, there is no doubt what-so-ever that Rogaine makes your existing hair grow....it's like miracle grow for the stuff that's staying in my head....

8. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Not for me.. my length barely budged at times. When I talk about the growth of existing hair, I'm not talking speed of growth. The speed isn't a factor for me at all. I just think a lot of our hairs are obviously on different schedules.. so once you go through the dread shed, it all starts growing at the same time. If if grows at the same time, it fills in more, becomes thicker.

I don't know what started my hair loss. It could be so many things. I have SD on my scalp and have had it as long as I can remember. I was on the pill until I was 21.. I have issues related to hormones, I have autoimmune issues, I've had two children. I just don't know.

9. Cas

Cas Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tori, do you think you would have had the success you did without the Rogaine. Do you regret using it?

I can see what you mean about the regrowth. I have a band of regrowth about the same length but I also shed various lengths of hair from 1 inch to 1 foot so I'm hoping this is my hair setting into a grow/fallout pattern on its own so that I don't loose it all at the same time. :dunno:

10. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't think it does this for ALL of our hair. Obviously. But just think of the amount of hair that falls during a dred shed and imagine it all growing back at once.. along with whatever was on it's way anyway.. what that could do for our hair. Still a lot of that hair is in different stages of their lives, so they'll all have their own fall time.. but there's still a good percentage on the same schedule. Like I know what I'm talking about lol.. just my thoughts.

Your question is a good one though. I started rogaine when I first really noticed my hair loss. Before, I wasn't really sure if it was noticeable and even if it was, I was sure it was a phase and it would grow back. I don't know if I would have had the same progress without it.. it's possible. But it didn't do nothing, that's for sure.

11. VMmom

VMmom Guest

I'm trying to decide about Rogaine now. I don't want to do nothing about hair loss, but I don't want to jump the gun and just bring more problems on myself. I'm very confused.
    I'm not sure what you mean by putting your hair on a different schedule? Do you think Rogaine actually rest your hair so that you are still getting progress even though you stopped using it?

12. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about lol, so don't take my word for anything lol. All I know is Rogaine causes hair to prematurely shed. Not all in one day obviously, but over weeks. All of that hair (I'm assuming), plus all of the hair that was on it's way anyway (because we DO regrow hair, just not as much as we'd like.. that's why a lot of women here mistake regrowth for success on something they started taking) adds up for quite a bit of hair to start growing at once = thicker hair.. not necessarily NEW hair. I thought I was growing hair that wasn't there.. but I don't believe that's true anymore. If I did, it wasn't noticeable.. the hair that was growing was hair I know was already there. In MY opinion.. I don't believe you'll grow it all back on Rogaine.. it's a personal choice if some is enough.. and possibly none. I'm not knocking Rogaine.. like I said, even if I'm right about how it worked, more hair at once is kind of nice.

13. VMmom

VMmom Guest

The only thing I'm expecting is for it to slow down my hair loss progression. I am also expecting that hair lost during the initial dread shed won't be permanently lost but regrown as a result of the treatment. I'm not expecting Rogaine to regrow the hair that I've lost up to this point.

What I'm trying to decide is if the possibility of slowed hair loss is worth the facial hair and other stuff. I hate to not try the only thing that seems to even kinda work. But I also don't want to be in a place in a few yrs where I have even less hair, plus facial hair and bunch of premature wrinkles! The other thing holding me back is I'm not 100% sure I have Androgenetic Alopecia, though I'm probably living in denial by saying that. My grandma & two half-aunts have bad hair loss, I have PCOS, I've got the see-through bang thing going on, and I see a few wispy little hairs in each daily shed. The only reason part of me is clinging to hope of recovery without Rogaine is that my bad shedding stopped in Dec, so now I'm down to just 20ish hairs a day. That has been REALLY nice, and I'm reluctant to kick the shed into high gear again. PLUS, we're going on vacation in July and Oct...and I don't want to be at an an all-time hair thinning low at either time.
    SO...you can see that I'm all kinds of confused.

14. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I see.. and we've all been there. It's a gamble, can't deny that. in MY experience, a shed being down to normal isn't forever.. so it was either "now because of treatment, or later because my hair loss is progressing". I'm not positive, but I think Rogaine may have slowed things down. At the very least, I know my hair is better than when I started. Where it would be at this point without rogaine, I don't know. All you can do is try it and see. But please keep in mind, as much as the side effects you mentioned are no fun at all.. people don't seem to think twice about the actual listed side effects. It's one of the bigger reasons I quit rogaine.. I don't know what it will do to me long term and now I won't have to worry about it.

15. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Tori i think you're a great asset on here. I've always followed your opinions and your progress and that wont change but i'd just like to say to the other girls reading about the annual sheds that everyone seems to get on Rogaine, that i've never experienced a shed in the 4 or 5 years i've been taking it. I dont know why and it seems to be something no on else has experienced on here.. maybe i'm just lucky on that bit :dunno:

Did your over all hair seem to slow down growing in length at all for a while after you stopped?

16. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you brought that up.. I personally like seeing every angle in a thread, not just my own (or have mine snubbed ;) ). You can't be the only one who hasn't had a shed on Rogaine (really?? nothing at all out of the ordinary? Good for you!). I didn't get the original dread shed like most people do.. not that I know of anyway. As for growth.. it seems my hair stops lengthening in the summer, so it must be related to that shed I was getting. but overall.. it's just been a lot slower. I haven't noticed a change yet since quitting.

17. VMmom

VMmom Guest

I haven't thought much about long term side effects...you mean like low blood pressure? Or are there other things? I do kinda worry about the possibility of headaches because I already get a lot of those.

18. Hayley

Hayley Guest

No shed at all, unless its been so slight that i never noticed. But when i slowed down to applying around once a week it barely grew at all. Hope you didnt mind me chipping in :$

19. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    LOL of course I don't! Chipping in needs to be more accepted here actually, I'm glad you did. If we can't all support eachother with both sides of the coin, then there is no point. If we can only reply to posts with what others want to hear, than there is no point (aside from the fact that I would LOVE to hear my hair wouldn't shed on rogaine lol). My latest experience on the boards is that people (new especially) only want to hear the positives (who doesn't! But positive isn't usually all there is). If someone is having what they think is success, then NObody shall rain on that parade with cautions. Good or bad, we all need to hear every little detail we can get our hands on so we can truly make as educated a decision as possible - because the ones that SHOULD be helping us, just aren't. So pleeeeease chip in everywhere you can.. I won't stop, even if it labels me here lol. I really am happy to hear it hasn't effected you negatively.. it's the other side people need to hear, because rogaine ISN'T all negative. :)

VM, I mean like anything heart related, among other things. I don't have the list on hand and I've seen numerous sites listing possibles and factuals and rares and commons etc.. but go ahead and google it's side effects.. I can't find it as easily on Rogaine's site.. they make it sound so sun shiny there.

20. Claire10

Claire10 Guest

I never had a dread shed on minoxidil either. I was on it for 9 months. I think it might have stopped my shedding, but then I went on a high protein diet at the same exact time (still doing this).

I'm glad that I tried it.

I'm been off of it since last Oct, and I thought for sure I'd get a massive shed, but I didn't.