Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

1 year into Rogaine - Shedding is Picking up Again...

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Aug 21, 2015.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Why? Who knows? The main thing I am thinking is because I got lazy and started to use Rogaine only once a day. This really sucks as I was having amazing results. Hopefully the shed slows again... July 1 I had a terrible hair cut. He was rough in the shampoo bowl, round brush dried it and it felt like he was pulling my hair out... He left my hair feeling like ****... All of the volume I had vanished...

I did a mud run last weekend, probably not the best for my hair.

The stress is still here. Moving/job related stress mostly. I can feel my scalp is a little achy... This too shall pass.

I will hang on and go back to my regular regimen despite how difficult it is. (I do hot yoga and they only allow you to stay 30 minutes after to get ready and leave) so then I don't have time to dry my hair and apply the Rogaine... This has been the main reason I have been getting sloppy because I have such long days so by the time I get home, I am exhausted...

Or maybe this is just a normal part of the Rogaine process. For those of you like me who have had much success with Rogaine, when you were 1 year into it did you have a bad shed?

Thanks,

-Michelle

- - - Updated - - -

There's too much going on to know what could be causing this... I stopped taking Iron supplements but my dermo told me to get back on those... And my primary doctor said to get back on Fish Oil and TRY Centrum daily supplement. (It is for 50+ but she says there are lots of benefits to taking it even as a younger woman.)

I just don't get it... To have such great progress and now I am taking a step back... :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Fyi - still looks fine because so much was growing in, but it is very disappointing to see a lot of it going...

2. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Michelle!

As someone whose backstalked these boards for possibly EVERY rogaine post out there :) my impression is that the majority of long term Rogaine users seem to go through at least one (and often multiple, or a few years of seasonal) sheds after they've been on it for a while. There are tons of posts from women on these boards who are all understandably very concerned/worried that Rogaine has given up on them because they're suddenly experiencing a random Rogaine shed 6, or 12, or 18 months in, when they felt they'd been making progress. However, I always seem to find a post from them at a later date saying that the shedding period stopped and their hair went back to normal - this seems to be a very typical part of "successful" Rogaine stories. Similarly, for women who've been on Rogaine many years but have only begun posting on these boards recently (eg didn't leave a log of their journey) - a lot of them say they had a few shed periods over the first few years which became less and less frequent from there, and that their hair remained on a positive trajectory due to Rogaine regardless of any periodic shedding.

I know this doesn't offer an explanation to why it's occurring - from what I've read, Rogaine users don't seem to think there's any "cause" besides the growth cycle Rogaine has them on. Bottom line is, I wouldn't worry you're doing anything wrong, and I would also be extremely optimistic that this will pass!

3. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Eliza. Exactly what I needed to hear... it's just like dang I made so much progress. And I hate seeing so much coming out. How much is too much for these sheds... hmm...So maybe this shed is normal or maybe I need to stick with twice a day? On the posts you've seen how long does this tend to keep up? Im just feeling really upset but I know I shouldn't stress..im having.photos taken tomorrow and.I.wish my hair was.looking how it just did literally a month ago...:(

4. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I completely hear you.... After months of progress it is easy to understand how any reversal causes a lot of anxiety. I actually have found it interesting that virtually every time I've come across an old post like this, it only took a few days - after having had MONTHS of progress / proof that Rogaine was working for them / lots of updates saying that they were seeing results - for the poster to have all their confidence erased that Rogaine was still going to work for them in the long term. It was always temporary, but even a brief resume in the high shedding understandably triggers a little bit of that PTSD "is all hope lost" anxiety :)

I'm obviously speaking anecdotally here, but the posts I've come across typically referenced a few weeks of shed, with a handful saying 1.5-2 months.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over your regimen or anything you've done to cause your shed though. I doubt the switch to 1x caused it, but it couldn't hurt to go back to 2x per day (especially if you switched in the two weeks preceding your shed). More importantly, I think you just need to remind yourself that this is temporary and WILL definitely end (and try to remind yourself that there's probably not much you can do to make it end sooner, since you're not doing anything to cause it in the first place).

The fact you've had amazing results from Rogaine after being on it for a year = proof that you are a great responder, and that hasn't changed despite this current shed!! I promise it's a temporary, and very normal, set back for even the best responders. So don't blame yourself, and try to keep your chin up knowing it will pass :)

5. graciebny

graciebny Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello:
    I have been on Rogaine for at least three years now and I had amazing success for the first seven months and then went into a deep shed from mid July through sometime in the Fall. Just when I was starting to get depressed, the shed stopped and my hair filled out again only to repeat the same cycle again the following July through October or so. Guess what, it's happening again now.

Stick with the Rogaine. I am convinced that I would have much less hair and with far worse quality and thickness if I had given up -- and I only apply 5% foam once a day. After the first shedding period, I tried to do it twice a day and my scalp was just too dirty and itchy.

6. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:

Thanks Gracie. I agree... Yeah I don't think I would be better off if it weren't for the Rogaine. I am starting to wonder though if it is changing my skin and aging me... Or maybe it's just parnoia. I had it styled yesterday for my yearly pictures. My hair looked gorgeous. She sprayed a ton of hairspray so I am so looking forward to washing it tonight. (Not...) Still looks cute today so I guess I will enjoy it while I can... I hope I don't keep going through these sheds but like you Gracie, I know this is likely for my case too because I'm not sure about you but I went some time with no shed at all, which isn't exactly normal either. Rogaine works in a weird way and the shed cycle still applies around this time of year as it would to anyone else only it is more excessive because of the Rogaine...

Thank you for your comments, it really does help. <3<3

*Hanging in there*

7. Distraughtshedder

Distraughtshedder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    i needed to see this post

8. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:

:D

9. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Could you give me an update on your shed one year in to Rogaine? Did it finally stop? How long did it take?

10. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Im losing track of how long its been now. I have been using rogaine for about 4 years and it is still working great. Using it once a day does not seem to make a difference at all. The shed seems to pick up every year about this time but new hair always grows in. Sometimes I can't believe how much hair I have with how much I shed. It is really weird. See pics attached.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't attach here will try in new post...

11. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for giving me an update. Can you tell me how long your sheds usually last?
    Thanks

12. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sarvnaz, I have been on Rogaine for about 18 months and I've been through two (maybe 3) high shed periods since then. It's hard to pinpoint exactly how long they last because even during the "high shed period," it is kind of up and down, but I would say my first one lasted well over a month, and possible longer than two months. I think the important thing to pay attention to isn't how many hairs you are shedding but rather the overall state of your hair. High shedding is very common from everything I've read, just try not to panic and trust that Rogaine hasn't given up on you!