Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

17 And Shedding. Anyone Have Any Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Zoe Badham, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    “Happy birthday to me” I think as I brush out 100 odd strands the day after showering...

Hello all,

My name is Zoe and today is my 17th birthday not that it’s a better day than any other however... in terms of shedding hair and tears!!! I’ve had a problem with terrible shedding (my normal amount used to be 50-70 strands a day- yes I counted for some reason!?! Glad I did to be honest!!) and now it’s up to 150+ ! Although there are no visible patches of thinning my hair all over is just thin and nothing like it was even 6 months ago!!!!!

I don’t know whether it’s a temporary thing (I had exams which I stressed and cried over everyday and have always had anxiety - I also had an eating disorder for just over a year and lost over a stone during that year but didn’t notice hair shedding until September !!! My eating got gradually better in May and I’m mostly recovered now and at a very healthy weight and with regular periods.) however due to the fact my dad and his dad have male pattern baldness but no females in my family do. I am scared it’s permanant and hat I have kickstarted female pattern hair loss since it is a diffuse thinning and I see no regrow either (even though the shedding has only been awful for two months so I guess I have to wait). Two weeks ago I started minoxidil and the shedding was even worse than normal so I’m hoping this is the dread shed because if it isn’t and it gets worse I won’t have much hair left.

If anyone has any advice or any thoughts on what you suspect it may be (stress induced or permanent etc) id love to hear your thoughts!!!! Also any recommendations on wigs ? If the shedding continues I may as well just go for the chop and wear a wig!! At least I’ll feel a little more confident!?

I understand how everyone feels about their hair loss. It is so awful and makes you feel so worthless but everyone here is worth so much more than their hair!! You’re all beautiful and that may sound cliche but everyone , hair or no hair or anything in between, are all equal and amazing human beings.

:hugs:

2. Simona1986

Simona1986 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    At your age can be TE. (From a poor diet, stress like you told, the autumn). Also can be hormonal changes. Check your iron, D vitamin and thyroid. If it's ok eat healthy, make sport and less stress.
    Why you use minoxidil? Someone gave it to you?

Zoe Badham likes this.
  3. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hiya,

I'm using minoxidil incase it is female pattern loss!! I have had plenty of anxiety and stress in my life before this and never had hair loss. Therefore, I am suspicious it may not be TE. However, even if it is TE I have researched a lot and many people benefit from using minoxidil as it encourages hair growth and so I thought I might aswell try it!! Thank you for your suggestions and advice I really appreciate it!

4. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    I saw my Doctor and got my thyroid and iron levels checked and they came back 'normal' . I've seen many threads on here where people don't think stress (emotional stress) contributes to hair loss and thats what my doctor thought caused it in the first place so I'm just very confused and scared!! They asked me not to go back and ask for anything else (I don't think they believed me- this was In August and if anything they just seemed to be quick to jump to conclusion of stress) and since then its gotten worse. Did you try minoxidil? And how is your hair now, did you find anything that helped? Thank you for your suggestions

5. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Doctors can be stressful too! I'm a very anxious person and find it very difficult to ask for whats not freely given, so asking Doctor's for multiple tests scares me a lot...What do you think is your underlying cause and how long has your loss lasted for? I think I will give minoxidil a fair shot since a lot of people have good results and its supposed to work better on those who start early!! But of course, I will bear it mind it may not work.

6. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ah yes the dread shed. I think I may be experiencing it at the minute as the shedding skyrocketed !!!! I was hoping it would just not happen but oh well if I don’t see results in 6 months then I guess it wasn’t meant to be !!! I’m so sorry, your journey sounds long and exhausting and I hope one day your body balances out and your hair grows healthy! As for the lab results I guess I’ll have to pluck the courage to ask! Thanks for being so open about your experience it’s comforting to know others see just how hard it is and are supportive all the same!!

TinaM1968 likes this.
  7. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Zoe,

Sounds like your hair shed is due to your eating issues. When did your hair start falling out? My advice would be to continue eating well... usually TE has to run its course, even if you've recently addressed the trigger.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  8. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hiya, my hair started really falling out in late August!!! But in September got worse and now it is ridiculous amounts!! I hope it is temporary ! I will continue to eat well and keep as healthy as possible I’m just hoping it’s not permanent . Thank you for the advice :)

9. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    yep, I definitely think it has to do with diet. I believe my TE was caused by crash dieting. Make sure you get lots of protein and eat lots of fruits/veggies too. Don't restrict calories either!

10. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    Okay ! Has your TE resolved itself?

11. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    not yet. I think it's in the process of winding down though - my shedding has mostly tapered off over the last month. last week it went back up again, but from everything i've read on this site and from talking to my derm, it seems that a fluctuating shed is normal for the end of TE. the last two days it has been down again. fingers crossed that it stays that way!

forgot to add: this episode of TE began in May of this year; my crash dieting was January/Feb

12. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    I’m so glad yours may finally be ending and I wish you all the best!!! My eating disorder lasted a year and ended in May and I was up to a good weight in early July but before August I’d never had hair loss problems which is what I thought was odd about my hair loss having started in August!?! Yours seems like clockwork!! The typical 3 month delay and mine wasn’t that’s why I’m worried mine may be early onset female pattern loss!!!

Anyway good luck with your hair journey I’m hoping for you that all goes well and you have some beautiful regrowth!!! :)

13. Medstudent2018

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your ferritin level

14. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea since they only told me it was ‘normal’

15. Medstudent2018

Dislikes Received:
    Call them back and ask the exact numbers, anything below 70 is low. And also; are you on birth control and what kind? (Brand name)

16. Zoe Badham

Zoe Badham Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I got them back I’m at 58!! So yes quite low! They have given me supplements for it.. I’m not on any birth control but I am on prozac for anxiety and have been for a couple of years so this may be affecting my iron uptake...