Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

20. 2nd attack of alopicia. downdowndowndowndown. help would be lovely

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by KatieBx, Jan 3, 2013.

1. KatieBx

KatieBx Guest

Hi, :)
    I first came on here at the age of 16, when i was 15 all my hair went.
    I then got myself to uni and all my hair came back and had about 9 months of it before patches started coming back..
    it was a hospital DCP treatment that i think made it come back, i started on it again to no success.

the thing is. ive been stressing for about 2/3 months now with really thin hair and im just struggling to cope, i cant stop crying..
    the ideal was to stay at my parents over christmas and new years then go back with a wig on and hope for the best as wouldnt be such a drastic change,
    anyway that failed had to go back for work and then it came... ive had it dyed and colored .. ONE TIP FOR ALL WIG WEARERS... GET A LACE WIG! some wigs are horribly hat like and this time round was no different, so went for a lace one .. my mum keeps telling me no one would ever know but i just cannot cannot get to grips with it.. i feel like il never find anyone wearing my wig and if i do get a boyfriend he will find out then freak.
    it feels like i can now do the superficial things in life better (work, uni etc) without worrying but deep down im scared.. i dont wana be on this rollercoster all my life, one year happy with natural hair only for it to fall out again then for me to be down and wear a wig.
    the first time as a teen i had to wear one i became a depressed recluse so dont want that again as im naturally quite a bubbly outgoing person.
    on top of that, none of my friends have seen it yet and im terrified..
    and also last time one of my best friends sister took it upon herself to tell everyone at a new years party (5 years ago now) that i wore a wig. Then her drunk cousin came and asked me and told me .. 'she knew a really good place' needless to say this had me in pieces, crying all night.. on saturday ive been invited to the same friends mums birthday party, with the sister! i dont feel strong enough to go but i also feel that id be missing out if i didnt.

on the upside it saves me washing and blowdrying, and spraying the hair every day i guess? doing the best with sitation given
    i just wish i didnt feel so alone and so down :(

2. curtlind

curtlind New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hair loss is very difficult to deal with. Please seek professional help if you are feeling suicidal. Make an appointment with your family practice doctor for your depression, and seek counseling to help you deal with this. I understand the feelings of hopelessness, but there is hope, and help on this website.

3. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    Katie, welcome to the forums! I am sure everyone here understands what you are going through. And can contribute some positive thoughts to your situation. Gypsy - I opted to remove your posts as they may make the original poster feel worse.

Admin

4. SpyintheSky

SpyintheSky Guest

Katie, welcome! I am glad you finally got on here to get perspective/ideas/inspiration? from those who are dealing with the same issues and concerns that you have been. I know you feel alone, it still feels that way even with this forum sometimes because it is hard to just meet women with alopecia.
    I am 29 and have totais, most of the way to universalis. I bought my first wig over 4 years ago, and hated the experience also. Now it is fun to shop for them, if you have a good place to try a bunch on...it's like getting a makeover. I have 5 wigs in brunette, blonde and red. There is where you can have fun, but I know you want to maintain a certain look right now.

My advice to you, and anyone in the same boat really, is you have to take ownership of this condition. You own it, you define it, it does not own, define or control you. Easy to say, harder to implement I know. It will take time. When I got to the point where I couldn't cover it up and had to shave my head...I came out strong at a themed party. It made the transition easier, in that a lot of friends were there dressed up like idiots and it went with my costume. They could ask a bit about it, but I didn't feel like I stood out in that crowd (it was a white trash party). I would recommend an approach like this. It really softened the "reveal".

I have so much more I can pass on to you if you are interested...I don't just want to throw a bunch of info at you all at once and make it overwhelming.

5. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    Spy - we can keep the discussion here on the forums. That's why it's here :)

6. SpyintheSky

SpyintheSky Guest

Admin- I understand that, but sometimes it is easier to speak candidly when it is just two people.