Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

25 and just diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Bengal77, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Bengal77

Bengal77 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been dealing with hair loss for about 3 months now. I was so convinced that it was TE caused by a migraine medication (Topiramate) that I was taking, and the dermatologist who I saw two weeks ago agreed that it was a likely culprit. A bunch of blood panels and a biopsy later and I've just found out that it's actually Androgenetic Alopecia. My father has male pattern baldness and I think my mother's father might have had it too, but none of the women in our family have hair loss issues. I feel a little betrayed by my body. I'm only 25 for goodness sake! I thought that this was something that affected women around menopause, not their twenties. Well, now I know that it isn't the case, and that it can affect anyone who is post-pubescent. My OB/GYN changed my OBC from Desogen, on the highest androgen BC pills available, to Orth Try Cylcin Lo which he says is androgen binding and should help. I go to see my derm again next week. I have a feeling he's going to prescribe rogaine and Spironolactone. I'm scared to rely on a medication that I won't be able to take when my soon to be husband and I want to have kids. Because as far as I can tell none of the Androgenetic Alopecia treatments are safe to use while pregnant or breastfeeding. I guess I had prepared myself mentally for the worst, because now that I have the news I just feel numb to it all.

2. JDef711

JDef711 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same age as you, going through the same thing. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. In regards to the meds, they never worked for me. If you are trying to have children, I'd hold off on the meds. I am trying for a baby myself, which was one of the reasons for stopping the meds. Anyway, I hope you are having a great day! Take care.

3. somegirl

somegirl Guest

Hi Bengal, what is your loss like? 3 months doesn't seem like enough time to even notice some of the signs of Androgenetic Alopecia, like miniaturization.
    Considering the bcp you were on maybe all you needed was to switch?

4. Bengal77

Bengal77 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have Androgenetic Alopecia confirmed by biopsy with confirmed miniaturization. My new growth is growing in with a very curly/kinky texture. I've had stick straight hair forever. The dermatologist thinks I have TE too since it started falling out so rapidly in a diffuse pattern and because I'm also losing eyelashes, eyebrows, and nose hair. Alopecia Areata was ruled out with bloodwork and the biopsy.