Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

29 female diagnosed with Alopecia Areata

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by ngzs, Jun 5, 2015.

1. ngzs

ngzs New Member

Dislikes Received:
    First let me start off by saying I'm feeling so lost and confused at the moment. I discovered a patch on May 27th which I probably got maybe 2 weeks before but I never looked at it just felt it was dry and I thought It felt like dandruff buildup. I kept scrubbing scratching and finally I felt something prickly I asked my mom to take a look she then said O no Naomi you have a bald spot. I started to freak out and had her take a pic of it and I went on to find excuses as to why I might have it. Some being I recently had my hair colored 1 mnth before maybe I was exposed to different chemicals or maybe I got burned. Then I said maybe I changed shampoos and I'm allergic to the new one. I was worried but in my mind I was still thinking it was one of these reasons. Over this past weekend I started to feel strange on one side of my head I couldn't describe if it was just itchy or or maybe it's all in my head now? Idk but I had my boyfriend check my head sunday night for more patches he didn't find any but on Tuesday I discovered another patch. I never noticed that much hair fall off. How can I lose that much and not notice?! Well after the 2nd patch I had to go see the Dr. I went in the very next day which was Wednesday she took all my medical history. As soon as she peeked in my hair she said you ha e alopecia she went on to explain a little about it and gave me a packet to read. She set me up an appointment to see a dermatologist but that's not for another 2 weeks. She also sent me for an ultrasound for thyroid. I get my results from my lab tests today which is Friday. I do know I'm vitamin d deficiency only because I received a txt from my pharmacy that same day saying I had meds ready for pick up. They gave me Vitamin D2 (ERGO) 50,000 IU CAP. I'm unsure has to how low it is because I haven't received any results. I'm really scared and confused I fell as I'd my world is falling apart. How did I go from being ok to feeling completely hopeless and depressed the next day? Why me? As soon as I wake up the first thing I do is run to the restroom to make sure I don't have another patch. This is taking over my life I can't eat or think about anything else besides this desease. I feel like I didn't get enough info from the dr. Idk what to expect or what to think or how to deal. I don't know if there's anything I can do to make my situation better I do know there is no cure. Hair dying is it ok?
    What about blow drying my hair and straightening it? Will the heat make it worse?
    I'm so scared HELP!! I need advice I need someone to talk to i need support I need a new body :(

2. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi

Sorry to read you have Alopecia Areata, a a good resource to visit is the NAAF

https://www.naaf.org/

With Alopecia Areata there is usually a trigger such as stress, surgery, shock, rapid weight loss that sends the immune system into overdrive to attack the hair follicles, some people can identify their trigger others cant., Please try not to stress most patients with Alopecia Areata make a full recovery. The NAFF give a comprehensive list of treatments that may help, but many people have regrowth without intervention.

My advice would be to eat a good diet cutting out any sugar preservities, any junk really! There has been a lot of studies recently on the gut flora and autoimmune issues and there seems to be a correlation between these and inflammation in auto immune sddiseases. Although this may not be a cure it it can only help to control the inflammation and healthy living has to be better in my opinion! Exercise in a moderate way, remembering hard excessive exercise can stress the adrenals so don't over do it, yoga Tia Chia are good for the destressing. Exercise releases good endorphins giving a calming effect and stimulates blood flow.

Please feel free to ask any other questions, I will be happy to help if I can :)

3. johairy

johairy Member

Dislikes Received:
    I´m so sorry you´re having a bad time. I understand Alopecia Areata.
    My dad had it.
    His hair .....It grew back.
    All of it.
    Take heart.

(hugs)

4. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    HI Ngzs,

My mom also had Alopecia Areata for a few years. She had one round bald patch. It all grew back and she never ever had it again.
    I also have a friend who had it, but she had it worse (allmost all her hair, including eyebrows, lashes) Fortunately for her it also grew back and she never again lost her hair.

5. LAgirl

LAgirl New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same age with TE

I'm new here and I'm also 29 just finding out I have TE.

My personal advice is to grieve, accept the situation, then attack. There's a lot out there in terms of masking hair loss. Though my hair loss is recent, and a general overall thinning in the back and sides, I have *already* started the exploration and world of wigs be it one day I may need one. The custom wig designers can make ones that are incredibly realistic. They can range anywhere from $2000-6000 but hollywood legends all over my area wear them and they look fabulous in them. When I decided that one day, I may need one if my condition worsens, it helped me cope a little better. I even took the liberty of already purchasing a fun and totally realistic half-wig as a psychological stage to prepare myself if it manifests into worst case scenario. It did help.

IMHO, treat your hair and scalp with extra TLC. And Rev up your diet loaded with spinich, kale, walnuts, grains, Greek yogurt, basically whole foods. This is what I've been doing to try and boost my immune system. And try your hardest not to stress.

My heart goes out to you. Nothing is more confidence shattering than hair loss at 29! I'm living it. Surround yourself with the people that love you, be proactive and keep your mind clear.
    ((((Hugs))))