Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

30's Androgenetic Alopecia transplant was not a success -updated

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by applebox, Mar 26, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Re: I went for it! 30's Androgenetic Alopecia. But next stop, toppers!

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted :) .

2. applebox

applebox Guest

Re: I went for it! 30's Androgenetic Alopecia. But next stop, toppers!

Some promising news a week shy of the 6 month mark!

Shedding has dropped dramatically - quite close to pre-op and some sprouts of hairs are growing! Here and there, soft little patched of tufts on top, close to an inch long. My hairdresser said the bald spots by the donor area have filled in .5-1 inch too. And she says she can barely find the scar no matter how hard she looks for it.

The Reality Check is I am still a very long way off from recovering the shock loss shed, such as getting away with a side part and toppik. The area curving to the sides and towards the front has no sign of improvement yet but i hope it will grow in the coming months. My doctor seems to think it will by a year post op. From all that I've read...., will just have to see.

Here are some pics that I will keep up for a bit but then take down as I don't enjoy the public access (does anyone know if you can put photos somewhere on your profile only so if people message you, you can send them?)

In the shot labelled "Before" (pre-op), I could get away with a side part and plenty of toppik - in the photo the top was a bit damp/not combed flat to show it at its worst. Seeker has a post op photo up and mine would be very similar. At 4 months it was brutal – pic doesn't do it justice –huge area, going way down the sides and still shedding. The top now at 6 months now has some short tufts, little shedding, but towards sides is still the same and the overall shed area is still huge (can be seen from all angles)

Cautiously optimistic...yes. Recommend it for anyone else....hell no, not yet!

Attached Files:

3. Maelle

Maelle Guest

Re: New pics - I went for it! 30's Androgenetic Alopecia.

Some definite improvement comparing last two months! Congrats :) I think it is a sign that things have turned for better and there is the light at the end of tunnel already :bravo:

4. snowflake

snowflake Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

Yes it is definitely improving. Are you feeling a bit calmer? Do you use Rogaine at all? I am so glad it is showing such improvement!

5. rsummers11

rsummers11 Guest

Applebox, you have a wonderful attitude. Much better than mine. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your sharing with us. I have been toying with the idea of restoration. Hmm. I'm not sure I'm that courageous. I am so happy to see that you are finally having some success here and I truly hope it continues. Please keep us posted. You are an inspiration.

6. pinkdaisy7

pinkdaisy7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

Dear Applebox,
    I'm new here and was just wondering how things are for you at this point in your post op recovery?
    Thank you SO much for sharing with us, this is a lonely and scary situation!
    (I just turned 40 and have Androgenetic Alopecia)

7. applebox

applebox Guest

Thanks for your support mademoiselle, snowflake, rsunners11 and pinkdaisy7! Snowflake - yes I am using rogaine foam and feel a bit calmer. And I can tell you the good attitude comes with its very bad days, much like for us all :)

So it's 8-months today:

Compared to month 6 I am looking better - good. I even went out for the first time for a few hours without a headband for the first time in 8 months and I don't think it was noticeable (at night only, no wind,side part LOTS of toppik and hairspray, I'm not ready daylight yet....) But I felt very pretty!!!!

Problem is I think the 'progress' is because the patches shown from last pics time have grown longer so they cover nearly an inch more than they did back then. I am quite convinced there is no more "new" hair, which is troubling as its been two whole more months. There is a patch on one side to the right and the back side to the left which I am most concerned about. (This stagnation is really frustrating - could this be it????!!!)

So, again with the mixed feelings.

I am taking what I can get for now, and feeling and anxious about the next few months - more growth needs to happen for this to be an improvement over how it was before. I would say I am at about 60% recovery, only because the thin area is much larger now - I included a side pic to try and show some of it.

I used the same angles again to keep it consistent - but there are bits of toppik still left from after my shower (the stuff that looks like short darker bits mostly in the middle I think). I have sure noticed how you can "change" things to seem like great success – or great failure – incredibly just by very slight differences in lighting, angles, parting different ways etc. I did my best but am not a photog, so....

Thank you again for the support! At eight months, its getting harder to keep it up. This site is a great reminder to me to think positive, take mu vitamins, sleep etc...all the good stuff that might help.
    Take care ladies!

Attached Files:

8. pinkdaisy7

pinkdaisy7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for the pics, I can really tell a difference!!! I would say your hair now looks probably to be almost double the amount of hair I have lately, it looks good!!

Everything to do with this seems to require patience....such slow going.....to be able to see differences seems to take forver!

Are you happier with your decision than you were when you last posted?

9. kimm

kimm Guest

Thank you so much for the updates!

I can definitely see a positive difference as well, and hope that the improvement continues for you!

I'm glad to see someone getting good results from this procedure! :)

10. applebox

applebox Guest

Whoa - thanks but I should be VERY clear on this.

This is in no way a success story yet, and actually far from it. At eight months I am just now getting my hair back TO THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE (60% there). If it appears a little thicker in the middle than my 'before' pic, it's
    a) a little misleading and,
    b) the loss all around the area more than makes up for it, trust me.

When I say I am doing 'good', it is because I am no longer BALD from the shockloss that lasted for over 5 months.

I am clinging to hope (I am told to wait a full year) but there has been NO net gain so far. Right now I am actually worse off.

I do not recommend this for anyone as of yet - it hasn't worked so far.

That's the bottom line - sorry if my last mail was confusing. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and sign up for one because of me!

11. MUSTANGSALLY

MUSTANGSALLY Guest

Applebox - I just wanted to say that I am a 58 year old who had hair restoration almost coming up to 1 year ago on November 10th. I have always had a receeding hairline but in the past two years my hairline kept going back further. I did a lot of research into doctors and found one that had a great reputatioin. I must say that after 6 months I did have amazing results. Here is my story:

Last May 2009 noticed my hair was slowly thinning on top and I have always had a receeding hairlline. Went to see my GP who tested my thyroid, it was okay. Then went to a dermatologist who checked my iron level, everything okay just told me to use a shampoo he handed me and to come back in 3 months. Said it was probably due to stress.

By August my receeding hairline seemed to go back further so went for a consulation for hair restoration. Surgery done November 2009 with amazing results after 4 months except had some folliculitis going on and had to go on antibiotics.

Went to a second dermatolgist to see why I was still loosing my hair and she diagnosed me with chronic telogen effluvium and I should never have had the restoration. Why did'nt the first dermatologist tell me that.

Then the second derm. referred me to a derm. who specializes in hair loss. He told me I had androgenetic alopecia. Wow - it only took 3 dermatologists to figure out what I had. Needless to say this doctor examined my scalp thoroughly and told me the transplant took quite well. He gave me a prescription for minixodal 5% and I have been on that for 10 weeks and noticing more hairs coming through in the transplanted area. He also put me on finasteride 1mg to stop anymore hair from coming out and it is working great; not as much hair falling out now. This derm. did say it takes a year for everything to settle down and to see results.

Everything I have been through, I do not regret having the procedure done; I had 1500 grafts put in my receeding hairline and along the bang line.

mcat11 likes this.
  12. applebox

applebox Guest

MUSTANG SALLY - thanks for sharing your story! I am so glad for you it worked out so well with the transplant and the right meds!

From what I understand its the diffuse thinners like me who are the biggest risk. The issue is the 'new' hair being transplanted in between 'existing' hair, means more risk of shockloss.

Man, I sure would have been happy to see some net gain by 6 months (that's what I was certainly expecting). I'd settle for good news at 1 year though!

13. MUSTANGSALLY

MUSTANGSALLY Guest

Applebox, Hang in there hopefully you will see results in one year.

14. angies99

angies99 Guest

Hi,

I am new here. I just want to give you a big hug. It is heart breaking to look at the photos in the earlier posts. There is defintely improvement in the latest pic. I am hoping like crazy for you that the op works in the end. I want to tell you that what ever the outcome. You made a very brave decision. At least you are doing something positive for your hair.

15. Re: New pics - I went for it! 30's Androgenetic Alopecia.

Hello,
    I am new here and I just wanted to say Thank You for sharing your story so openly and honestly. We women battle with so much of this in silence because we don't know who to talk to without being embarrassed. What we all want is to hear the truth from other women going thru this demoralizing condition. How can we weigh out our options and alternatives if we can't get real answers from real women. So, thanks so much and I hope and pray you continue to recover to where your were Pre-Op and then start seeing new growth from the hair transplant.

Mari

16. colline

colline Guest

applebox your hair looks great i dont know why you want to say it looks worse and shock loss is why it is better. The truth is by what you see and it looks way better then ever i would be happy with that coverage - when they did my fue it was awful all hair loss on the floor and it looked naked but i am going to hang in there.

I had diffuse hair loss agreed and i limited donor and tried all things but this was the last thing i could do - who knows at least i tried.

17. applebox

applebox Guest

Hello again. It's been over a year and yes, the transplant was a failure - no net gain and the thin area is much bigger now (towards side, right up to my hairline and back). The area that was supposed to be concentrated on (one side and back so I could part my hair) has patches that are nearly bald and got the worst of it.

I can say its possible I was going to get worse in a year anyway, but after many years of hairloss it had never spread this far this fast before. And I never had a frontal issue - didn't even use rogaine there.

My doctor agrees that it looks as though the shockloss did not recover. Only one eight consulted doctors warned me about the possibility at the onset. I am now using a laser cap for a few months in what is certainly a last ditch effort to regain some hair!

Here are two afters. One that looks similar to the before pic, and added another shot to show one of the new "bald spots" that I need to cover with toppik. Overall, need for toppik over a much wider area area bugs me the most. With the right part on a good hair day I used only need it over a few inches.

So yes it was a bad idea, but I just need to carry on much like everyone else. My recommendation not to do this goes without saying I think :)

Attached Files:

18. VMmom

VMmom Guest

I'm so sorry about the hair transplant disappointment. Have you considered a topper? You look like a good candidate for one of those. Thanks for sharing your painful experience. It really helps to know the things that so many doctors won't tell us.

19. farha

farha Guest

Yup I am really so sorry> i am also considering topper instead of going rogaine and transplant route so i would recommend u to try that and best of luck with that.

My issue is money but if urs not u can go for beautiful human hair pieces and look beautiful in them. :)

20. nevermindd

nevermindd Member

Dislikes Received:
    that was cool.
    im postop 2 and a half months, and good to hear that now...
    sorry for your failure Applebox, now im praying not to have the same result for myself...