Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

35 Years Old/ Te & Gentic Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Clare, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Clare

Clare New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I’m 35 years old and have experienced hair loss over the past 10 months. I keep hoping every week to see some improvements but it just keeps disimproving. I’ve always had such a good head of hair - it was the one thing I never needed to worry about. Now I think about it 24/7 - even dream about it at night when I manage to get myself to sleep.

At the start of this year I suffered 3 separate periods of severe stress and anxiety. From January through to April.

It was the end of April that I noticed my hair around my temples had gone sparse. I initially panicked , said it to my hairdresser who told me not to worry.
    But as the weeks progressed I saw no improvement and went to my GP who looked at me like I was going mad. I returned 2/3 times until I insisted they refer me to a dermatologist.

The dermatologist also looked at me as if I was wasting her time. Even though she could clearly see the distressed state I was in.
    The shedding really picked up from Aug - Oct. and my front hair line became thinner and thinner. I could see through my hair like I never could before.

Seen a Trichologists last week who confirmed TE with thinning around my hair line only. He done the telescopic analysis so I could see for myself. He said it’s genetic hair thinning even though none of my immediate family have suffered hair loss - can seemingly skip generations.

He advised I used these trichological products, which include 2% minoxidil. I am so hesitant to start in case my hair loss worsens even further and I’m left with no hair line at all.

Apologies for such a long post - but I just wanted to give a full background in case anyone else has suffered similar. Or if anyone could give me good advice on whether to try minoxidil or not.

I am so depressed over this and fear that I will be bald considering the rate this has progressed at.

DB563F57-8093-448A-A77E-DD9386C9F1B3.jpeg 10726B95-4DBB-49E0-B3FF-FA4C039D76A3.jpeg C8EC9FC2-45EC-488F-AE37-B0DCA6AC1549.jpeg

2. mem0307

mem0307 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Clare,

I was about a year and a half into hair loss when I started minoxidil (through the Belgravia center). Previous to that, I had done a year of laser light therapy and did not receive any results. I have been using minoxidil for a year and a half, I think that is had helped maintain my part which was much more severe when I first started. With that said, my hairloss does continue. I think I would be worse off hair loss wise if I was not using it. I definitely restored my confidence in the first 6 months of usage, but has depelted since then. I truly feel that each woman experiences something different. I did have success and regrowth at first, I hope you do and I hope yours lasts!

I know how painful hairloss can be, mentally and physically. Keep your head up, you are strong.

3. Clare

Clare New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Mem0307,

It’s just so hard to know what to do for the best. My gut is telling me to give it another month or so considering my TE has slowed since start of Nov..so 6 weeks. I’m now only losing on average 60/70 hairs a day. But then I’m so afraid if I keep putting off treating it with the minoxidil,will I be in an even worse position. I see no substantial growth around my hairline but I can see loads coming through everywhere else.

I never ever could have understood what hairloss can do to a person - my mental health has really been affected. It really is consuming my life.

And I know there could be so many more worse things happen to me..which makes me feel guilty and stupid at same time.

4. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Claire...lots is written on this minoxidil issue here. Try to find the posts. To summarize it - works for some, doesnt for others, makes things worse at times.. But I would wait if I would be you, gut insitnct is always right. Drs and Derms are way too happy to scream that Rogaine is a miracle cure. Once again, take your time and read what others mentioned here. Regardless of your current situation, try to give your hair best recovery chance in a form of blissful relaxation (an advise hard to follow, of course, for many of us)

Clare likes this.
  5. Jtilly

Jtilly Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Reading your story was like reading my own story! Even the timeline.
    I had thick amazing hair that had to be thinned out every 4 months.
    I went through extreme stress from January to March.
    In April I noticed the ends seemed kind of wispy. My stylist assured me it was how we had cut it and it was fine.
    I too had doctors and dermatologists look at me like I was crazy and blew me off for months.

Unfortunately for me I got misdiagnosed with early menopause and was put on hormones. (Was only on them for 7 weeks because of bad side effects)
    I think I am actually in peri menopause, or so I’ve been told by other doctors since my original diagnosis.
    A month later I was diagnosed with Celiac.
    7 months later, tons of various doctors, treatments, nothing is improving.

In fact just got way worse around thanksgiving.
    Had a break in what I thought was bad shedding before, for all of October and most of November. It even started feeling thicker. But something has triggered a massive shed of 300-400 hairs a day now for almost a month!

Am beside myself... I was also advised to use Rogaine but I’m too scared. I don’t feel like I’ll be one of the lucky ones... who would respond well. My luck it would make things so much worse.
    I am on 25mg Spironolactone, but not sure what’s the point because that’s not even the dose for hair, and it made my acne worse.
    Plus I have ulta low testosterone levels anyways.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this too!
    I feel your pain.
    My loss is very diffuse so I can’t conceal it. And since the shed increased so much in the last month, my part line is getting wider every day now.

It’s officially time for me to get a wig.

Wish I had better advice for you!
    Big hugs to you ❤️