Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

4 months on minoxidil and no results

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Gypsy99, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

Hi
    i am 4 months on minoxidil and not much results.
    My hair seemed to become thinner and more scalp seem to be showing. :(

2. somegirl

somegirl Guest

Hi Gypsy :)
    You need to give minoxidil at least 6 months to see if it's working.

3. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

if after 6 months not working? what do i do? i am going crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

05042012462.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

05042012462.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

the following above is my hair. how long before all fully grows out. its killing me

4. naddyj

naddyj Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Gypsy99

I don't know the answer to your question as I am only on my fourth week of minoxidil. I have heard that it takes some people longer than others to see results and they do say that your hair will look alot thinner than it did before at first (I am in my fourth week and hell mine looks thinner already), so I would try to stick it out. Do you still have a high shed and are you seeing any tiny regrowth sprouts?

5. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

Hi
    the shed was high for first 2 months. but for now not shedding as much and well i do see c couple of tiny hairs sticking out.

anyway i asked a question about minoxidil on a cosmetic surgery site and this is what a doctor said:

"We have found minoxidil to be better for keeping the hair you have from falling out rather than regrowing lost hair. That is why many people give up on minoxidil when they "don't see anything." Keeping hair is harder to visually appreciate than growing more hair. Your next step is an in-person consultation with an experienced hair transplant surgeon. At your visit, you can discuss all of your medical and surgical options. Best of luck to you. "

Why do doctors always say that minoxidil is for maintaining? can't they say anything better?

6. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

i really feel like killing myself.

7. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you are using Nizoral shampoo once every 3 days and allowing it to soak for the duration of the shower.
    If you are not using the Rogaine Foam 5% solution please switch to that, and use it twice a day, daily.
    It can take 6 months to a year for things to really start moving, so hang in there.

8. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

i really feel like giving up. its killing me.

9. LaurenEinFL

LaurenEinFL Guest

It kills most everyone, but hang in there. What do you use to disguise your loss? As someone who has used both, Toppik or Bumble & Bumble spray would probably help a lot. You can see my blog for pic of the B&B spray and my loss if it helps (in sig.).

10. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

no point in disguising to see reality when you wash off all. that is deceiving. no point in living a deceived life. no offence. but that is me. :(

11. iloveeshoes

iloveeshoes Guest

You do have to stay on it for a while at least 6 to 12 months. You are seeing the results of the shed you experience when you first got on it. Are you on the 2% or the 5%? I'm currently on the 5% myself. The 5% works the best but I want to get off it, because it has my face swollen up like a pie and it is enlarging my pores. It does a good job with my hair but the effects it has on my face is a no go. So I trying to hang in there for a few more months so I can see some regrowth before I get on Finasteride and then bump down to the 2%.

12. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I live a "deceived" life because I wear a topper. I'm not crazy about this but it does enable me to get out and about without embarrassment. I hate my hair loss but I am most definitely more than just my hair. As we say down South, bless your heart!

admin likes this.
  13. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

5%. what you mean seeing the results of the shed you experience when you first got on it?

14. graciebny

graciebny Member

Dislikes Received:
    Don't give up. Make sure that you use the minoxidil 5% twice a day. My experience has been that it made my existing hairs THICKER and stops the shedding (periodically) but never really regrows any hair. Stopping the shedding is half the battle.

15. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

:(
    how long u using and still using?

16. Tonia1949

Tonia1949 Guest

No, no, no. While today may seem bad you never know what is right around the corner. Have to keep trying new stuff. Kill yourself today and they find a real cure the next day.....well, that would not be so good. Have to remember people love you for who you are, not for how your hair looks. Be encouraged.

17. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

haha. thx tonia1049
    if fate is so unkind to me, it means my destiny in this world has ended.

but its so depressing to live.

18. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    It took me a year to tell that it was helping so don't give up yet. My hair is better than it was back then I think or at least not worse

19. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

how many percent grew back?

20. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Gypsy,
    Please don't say you want to kill yourself. I know going through this is hell, torturous hell, but when a person mentions killing themselves it's worrisome. Life could be a hell of a lot worse than thinning hair. I know how you feel, and my hair is ten times worse than yours. I know it doesn't matter how severe the loss is, to the person, it's the worst ever, and it's a nightmare. But with that being said, please trust me- your loss isn't THAT bad to where you can't disguise it. Even if you don't WANT to, trust me, it's worth it as it totally disguises your scalp and you worry less about it when you're out. It gives you a bit more confidence and that IS worth it, especially with how badly this is affecting you.
    Using Rogaine and seeing results is a very timely process that can't be rushed. The cycle of hair growth is slooooooooooooooow. And it may or may not aid in regrowing what you loss. It's not a definite thing but it's not impossible either. And if Rogaine at least helps you keep the hair you have, then that is a GOOD thing.
    Anyways, you can't expect results so instantly, I wish you could, I wish we all could. But you can't put a timer on it- 4 months, 6 months, you just have to stick with it and give it time. And in the meantime, concealers like Toppik, Bumbe & Bumble, Dermmatch, Joan Rivers- the are truly life savers to help us get through this terrible ordeal.