Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

4 year old girl, bald

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by annaashley818, Jan 14, 2016.

1. annaashley818

annaashley818 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone

My daughter is 4, about 3 years ago when her dad and I divorced she lost her hair for the first time. It grew back with i six months but then fell out again 6 months later. Now she is completely bald - a few months ago little white hairs started to grow, we started to have hope. There is hair growing on the back of her head but thats it.. Now the little white hairs have fallen out and her scalp is covered in this brown rash/bumps.

Does anyone have any idea what the brown skin is? is it a rash? any help would be great as i can't get her into her doctor for quite some time.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. mommybetts

mommybetts Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am so sorry. I wish I had some insight. Are her eyes brows and lashes still there? I hope this doctor can see her soon. Is she having any uncomfortableness with it?

3. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has she ever seen a Dr. about this? I don't think anyone here can diagnose her, from the description it sounds like some form of alopecia, but I don't know if the scalp discoloration and fine vellus hairs mean it could be something else. I hope you can get her to a Dr. soon.

4. annaashley818

annaashley818 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hair

thanks for getting back to me everyone,
    yes she has Alopecia, but the brow spots are new

she has been seeing a dr about this for the past 3 years. she will be going back but it takes a while to get in to see him

She has body hair everywhere else ( eye lashes, legs, face etc) and her eyes are green

5. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think it might be cradle cap (which is just SD, but in younger children)? It tends to happen in younger toddlers/babies, but I think it's still possible to happen to 4 & 5 year olds.

6. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like what she has could be Alopecia Areata. It can sometimes cause complete loss of scalp hair, and in these cases it is known as Alopecia Totalis (Alopecia Universalis in cases of complete loss of all body hair.) It sounds like this may be what she has because Alopecia Areata is known to go into remission spontaneously, and then reoccur.

In Alopecia Areata, the immune system is attacking the hair because it sees it as an invader. It is a form of autoimmune disease (of the skin affecting variety.) I'm pretty sure that it can cause irritation on the scalp, understandably.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for Alopecia Areata, but there are treatments available. Steroids are one option, they are applied topically to suppress immune system activity on/under the skin. Steroids, however, notoriously possess a rather extensive and undesirable side effect profile.

I would most definitely take her to a dermatologist. I also encourage you to explore alternative treatments for your daughter; these may include active herbals and other supplements.

There is a website called heralopecia. There are forums there for individuals suffering from Alopecia Areata. I think there are more active users there with Alopecia Areata than there are here.

Lastly, I don't think cradle cap (seborrheic dermatitis) is likely to cause complete loss of scalp hair.

Please keep us updated on your daughter's condition. Is she experiencing any scalp pain?

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. The statements I make are only an attempt to contribute to discussions and provide support for others affected by alopecia.

7. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    She has alopecia, I just mean the cradle cap (if that's what it is) would be in addition to that, and not responsible for hair loss itself. The only thing that makes me not be sure is her age (since it's usually present in the first few months of life) since annaashley hasn't seen something like that on her before.

8. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Alopecia just means "hair loss." It is not a specific diagnosis. I didn't realize that that might be what the OP meant when she said her daughter has alopecia. That's why I wrote that long response about Alopecia Areata. I'm sure the OP knows all that already. I apologize.

9. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi

I am really sorry you little girl has alopecia. I can't offer any thoughts as to what the brown skin maybe, however there are plenty of parents with children and lots of people with ATAU on alopecia world who may have seen this before. just wondered if she has had any treatments that may have caused this

I hope you get your appointment quickly and that you get some answers. I truly hope her alopecia goes into remission

wishing you and your little girl all the best :)