Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

A history of menstruations

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by dying curls, Mar 7, 2010.

1. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Hey fellow PCOS!

So i oficially make society and our way of life responsible for our PCOS.
    I just learned that until the 19th century, women did not have their period until age 16 or even 18!!!
    Can you believe that?
    Now i think the average age of menstruation is 13 more or less one year. Scientists say it's due to the food we eat : fat and sweet food that accelerate puberty.

I already know that food had a major influence on our hormones, but if you think that in a bit more than 100 years our way of life and food advanced the age of puberty by 4 years or more, think about what it can do to our hormonal balance!

i always thought that in the middle age every girl would get pregnant by age 14/15 how worng was I!
    Also at the time people did not really understand the link btween fertility and monthly bleeding, they thought women were impure. PLus women had more kids than ow and send a lot of time breast feeding so they had way less cycles than we have.

maybe we should adopt the way of life and the food of our remote ancestros to treat our PCOS.... :$

2. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    If only we even *could* choose to do so.

(gets on soapbox)

It is my belief and observation that the food we buy, the food that comes out of your average supermarket especially, even the simple things that are 'good for us', like vegetables, fruits, are NOT what they were 30 years ago. My taste buds say that is fact. More and more of our food is mass produced, pesticide laden, and growing in soil that becomes more and more infertile and stripped of nutrients. (and don't get me started on GMO's... and I am a scientist, by the way, but $ rules Big Agriculture; not science). The nutrition of our agriculturally grown food is dwindling. The best one can do is grow their own, and even then... the soil can only replenish itself so much. The water systems we water our own food with contains who-knows-what. We and our food are embedded in the errors of the whole society.

I am 100% convinced that the decline of our food and water is, at least in part, tied to the increase in women losing their hair that I see, young women. That is my opinion. And it scares me.

(getting off soapbox, now.. )

3. dying curls

dying curls Guest

yeah...that is some crazy s**t!
    Before me no women in my family evinced physican symptoms of PCOS, and even if on my dad 's side there's a tendency to hair loss even on women, it never started until they reached menaupose...until me and my 40 y.o cousin.

of course genes play a role, but when you see those figures about puberty , we have the right to wonder if our PCOS would not have been "lighter" or delayed have we lived 200 years ago.