Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

A lazy girl's guide to concealers? :)

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by AmyCE, Nov 6, 2012.

1. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been reading through this forum area trying to decide what concealer to try in my inaugural attempt. I've had Alopecia Areata for going on 10 months now and I just recently ended up with my first spot that isn't covered by the rest of my hair. It's actually at my temple so I'm not sure what I can get away with and still have it look somewhat natural. I'd like to use something with a brush so I can apply it carefully. Any recommendations?

Attached Files:

2. Josie's mom

Josie's mom Guest

Hi Amy, I bought a product called Derm Match for my daughter who also has Alopecia Areata. It comes with an applicator with a spongy tip that you wet under the tap, then rub in product and apply on your scalp. Doesn't leak or fade unless you wash it off with a cloth with shampoo on it. I thought it did a good job. Ordered from amazon.com if I recall correctly, lasts long too. Good luck with your search :)

3. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Josie's mom, I will check that one out!

4. baker mom

baker mom Guest

I haven't tried it yet, but you might also look into Joan Rivers Great Hair Day. I think it's very similar to Dermatch.

5. RaisinCookie

RaisinCookie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I like Joan Rivers Great Hair day. It's a compact with a brush and its very easy to apply. Doesn't really come off if you rub or brush so no worries on that. Sometimes comes off on my nails if I itch. Sometimes it can clump a little but its easy to fix with the brush or a qtip.

6. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks baker mom and RaisinCookie! I heard great things about Joan Rivers Great Hair Day and the price seems pretty reasonable. Will see if I can find that one!

7. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use Dermmatch and Joan Rivers. They are virtually the same thing. I use Dermmatch dry, no water on the applicator, so I apply it the same as you would Joan River. Dermmatch uses a sponge type applicator, like a larger eye shadow applicator while JR uses a bristle brush. Personally I prefer the sponge applicator, I think it covers more scalp.
    But both are virtually the same. I find the Dermmatch compact lasts more longer, over all more for your money. Sally's also sells a couple of similar products that I haven't tried.

8. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks CKingAnswers for the comparison! I went ahead and ordered the Joan Rivers in brunette and will probably use my own make-up sponge brush with it. I've been using that with my eyebrow powder in the meantime and I think the sponge applicator does help (I had been using a small eyeshadow brush and it didn't seem to cover as well). The eyebrow powder is OK but certainly not made for covering bald spots so I'm not getting what I need from it. Found the Great Hair Day on Amazon for $14.99! I'll update here with an after picture to share with everyone. Thanks girls!

9. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again, ladies! My Great Hair Day arrived and it looks great! I'd say I was about 60% there with the eyebrow powder but this one blends in really well (and quickly) and the brush is the perfect size for my spots. Yay!

10. RaisinCookie

RaisinCookie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so glad it is working out for you. My one compact has lasted almost 10 months, though the brush is starting to wear. I also tried topic but that clumped too much. Maybe with a brush?

11. Lost

Lost Guest

Yay!!! I'm glad it worked out for you thats what I've been using so far so good. D

12. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    OK, seriously, this stuff is awesome! It has totally changed the way I look at my Alopecia Areata. Now if I get a new spot (which does keep happening, sadly), I know I can just fill it in and get on with my day. I used to worry so much about how to cover things up with different hairstyles, etc. and now I can wear my hair however I want to. Yay Joan Rivers! :)