Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

A Little Bit Of Success (pictures Inside)

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Aria34, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Aria34

Aria34 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,

First of all I'd like to say that this forum has been a real inspiration and a blessing. Reading some of the stories on here gave me hope when I needed it most. And for that I would like to thank every one of you.

This past August I started experiencing significant hair loss. I would condition my hair in the shower and my hands would be full of hair afterwards. I have always shed hair, but never to this extent and never had an exposed scalp.

I went to three dermatologists. First doctor gave me iron pills and sent me on my way, without even examining my scalp. Second doctor a few months afterwards diagnosed me with Androgenetic Alopecia and prescribed me minoxidil 5% and Spironolactone 200mg. Third doctor said the diagnosis was inconclusive, but prescribed the same combination as the previous one.

Needless to say I fell down the internet rabbit hole of hair loss, and I fell HARD. I spent days on end crying and being completely hysterical. I was terrified of showering. I couldn't stand to look at the massive gap in the front of my hair. I felt like a stranger in my own body. Androgenetic Alopecia felt like a death sentence, and I felt so doomed. Funny thing is I never cared much about my hair. Never paid it any mind really. It was straight and somewhat thin but I had a lot of it. I never dyed it, and would occasionally condition it when I remembered. But regardless of that, I loved it. It was part of me, and to see it leaving felt like a stab to the heart (pardon the exaggeration but I'm sure you can relate).

Anyways, after a while I felt like I had drained all the tears from my body. I had nothing left so I decided to put faith in the treatment and just try to get by. I was beginning my masters and felt that burying myself in schoolwork would distract me. I got a puppy and moved in with my boyfriend. Things were good but I'd be lying if I said I forgot about my hair. I would spend hours on internet forums and reading every single scholarly article on Androgenetic Alopecia (in fact I'm pretty sure I have read them all by now). The fear loomed above my head like a big, stormy cloud. I think thats the worst part actually, the fear. You don't know whats going to happen, in the next months, in the next years, throughout your life! You don't know if your treatment is going to work.

But guys...the treatment is working. The massive gap in my hair is no longer that apparent. My shed is down to 30 hairs a day at most. The minoxidil and micro needling have resulted in a bunch of little spiky hairs on my part. I have attached some shoddy pictures but you can kinda see.

I guess the moral of the story is, be patient. Results can't be rushed, not when it comes to hair. And here's the thing, I don't know if it will last. I've always been terrified of the future and now I'm absolutely petrified. I don't know if in the next few months all these little hairs are going to leave me. I am terrified of having a child in the future and having to deal with the shed thereafter. And what saddens me the most is the fact that researchers and the medical industry fail to realize the impact of this condition upon women. And I know this is an incredibly selfish thing to say when there are much worse diseases out there. But this is real too, and we are suffering. This is not just a cosmetic issue.

Sorry for the wall of text. I really needed to get this out of my chest. I'm sending hugs to all the women out there who are going through this. You are all so incredibly amazing and strong.

Hugs,
    Aria

P.S. I'm thinking of asking my doctor to go on birth control. i've always hated the idea of filling my body with hormones, but now I don't see a choice really. Has BC helped anyone significantly?
    Also what are your opinions on Androcur? Thinking of hopping on that if Spironolactone fails me in the future.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/SrRJd18

2. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome. I'm so glad things are improving. I share your fear. I know It's not cancer or something terrible but it is a devastating condition for us. I have been on Androcur, minoxidil, Dutasteride and estrogen for about ten years now and am hanging in there. My hair loss started when I decreased my hormone replacement after a hysterectomy. My endocrinologist, Dr Redmond, in New York, recently retired and I am trying not to panic about what I will do when these scripts expire.

3. Aria34

Aria34 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Deirdre!
    Thank you so much for replying. It really is terrible isn't it, but thankfully I'm hanging on as well :) How's the androcur working for you? Do you feel like it helps in terms of the shed and thickening of the hair?

4. dancer4925

dancer4925 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Love to hear success stories-and I genuinely mean it when I say I think your hair looks fantastic!
    For what it’s worth, my doctor has suggested me to get off of my birth control to see if it’s a cause of my hair loss. She thinks that it might have triggered it and I may try to see if that’s the case. She said it’s uncommon but worth trying. Just wanted to let you know that birth control doesn’t necessarily cause hair growth. But that’s just my experience and I wish you the best!!

5. Aria34

Aria34 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for your reply :)
    I’ve always had a gut feeling that birth control isn’t for me. Tried it once and my moods were all over the place. Now I have a copper iud and I’m much happier. I’ll definitely take into consideration the fact that birth control might be a no no for me.

6. LindaLou

LindaLou New Member

Dislikes Received:
    So glad you are having success Aria! Have a couple of questions, if I may: Are you using the minoxidil 5% two times per day, and is it a generic brand? Also, what level micro needling are you doing (0.5, 1.0, 1.5), and how often? Your pictures are just amazing! Thanks so much for sharing.

7. sunshine21

sunshine21 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Really happy for you!!

Aria34 likes this.
  8. Aria34

Aria34 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Linda! Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad for the progress I made, although its far from perfect and my hair is still extremely thin. In regards to the minoxidil, I only apply once a day since I use liquid. I found that if I applied it in the morning my hair would be a greasy mess and I couldn't apply my scalp coverup as well. As for micro needling, I do it once a week at 1.5mm. I refrain from using minoxidil on the nights that I needle because doing so gives me extreme palpitations. Hope that helped!

9. LindaLou

LindaLou New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much Arai for your quick response. Continued success!

10. emilya

emilya New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Deirdre, I have been a long time patient of Dr. Redmond also and had my last visit with him in September. He gave me some information to pass on to any new doctor that I find explaining the benefits of hormone therapy, he also advised me check out National Menopause association. Have not found new doctor at this point.