Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Add to this!!!

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Lee112780, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

haha you girls are funny! I think I like being Alopecia Universalis in summer best...I love not having to shave and do my hair!! Im ready in NO TIME!!

2. catfancy

catfancy Guest

Yes, that's one advantage to wigs over bonded toppers. I spend no more than 10 minutes on my hair. Even 10 minutes is rare. Often I just put it on and run!

I still have to shave, though, since I've got probably 20-30% of my hair left. Annoying! I want to give my bald head a tan. My skin is somewhat dark, and my scalp is pasty white!

3. lee, there aren't as many posts on this Alopecia Universalis/at board, because us completely bald ladies are a distinct minority on this website.

one thing i would add, a positive about being bald.
    ..... i was dolled up beautifully and ultra-feminine and wearing my bald look at a nightclub when i met my handsome husband. and he has 'a thing' for bald women, he finds them beautiful as some men do. my bald look was part of what he found attractive about me. ;) :)

4. hottydotty

hottydotty Guest

Hi Ladies,
    I haven't been on these boards in a long time. I try to remember to come in to say Hi every once in a while, but trying to get time on "my" computer is ridiculous. I have had to share with the 5 children in my house :thumbsdown:. That means an hour for each child is 5 hours tied up per day. By the time I get to sit down at the computer all I can do is check my email and maybe check in on a couple of other sites. Anyways, the reason for writing is to let you know that I am among the "distinct minority" here. I love my beautiful bald head for many reasons and I am a walking advertisement for bald women everywhere. I drive a jeep with a spare tire cover that reads "Bald Chicks Rule," and I have had some baseball caps made that I wear all the time with some great "bald" sayings on them. The sayings are as follows....."Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Bald Like Me," "Bald Chicks Rule," "Bald to the Bone," "I'm To Sexy For My Hair," and "Dare to be Bare." I also just won a tattoo contest for my tattooed head and my picture and story will be in the Boston Phoenix newspaper next week. I have done fundraisers for Alopecia at "Bike Week" in Laconia, NH, and at "Mud Bowl" (mud football) in Conway, NH. I mainly do it for awareness though. I believe that with awareness comes acceptance and someday bald women everywhere won't feel like they "have" to wear a wig to fit in, they can "choose" to wear one if they want. The last time I wore a wig was at my own wedding 3 years ago and if I had it to do over, I never would have worn one. I wore it to make "everyone else" comfortable and I was uncomfortable. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. :bravo: I think that attitudes are definitely changing and, slowly, but surely, baldness is becoming more accepted. Sorry for writing a book, can you tell I'm very passionate about Alopecia??
    Love and Hugs,
    Dotty

5. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Dotty,

Can I just say that you are totally awesome!!!!

I have to share the computer w/ my four kids too! I often find myself staying up late just so that I can have more computer time. Not good when you need to get an early start the next day!

6. dotty,
    you are a fantastic lady!
    and you are stylin' with that beautiful tattooed bald head of yours! ;) :)

7. lee,
    you did get some permanent makeup done, didn't you?
    you got your eyebrows done, isn't that correct?
    are you going to get any other permanent makeup done?

i have permanent eyeliner, and i have considered getting eyebrows done, but i sometimes like wearing no eyebrows also. other times i pencil my eyebrows.

8. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

yes....when I get my touch up for my brows...Im getting liner done.

9. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

Dotty,

I LOVED your post -- words to live by. Thanks.

"I'm too sexy for my hair" -- that has to be the best thing I've heard in ages! I can't stop laughing...!!

:bravo:

Regards,
    J-A

PS: I do not have Alopecia Areata, AT or Alopecia Universalis. Is it inappropriate for me to post here? If it is, please tell me and I'll butt out. Thx

10. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi my wonderful friend ((((((((((Dotty)))))))))) It's great to see you posting here on Her Alopecia . :) I'm sure your message will inspire many girls here. Thank you so much!!! :heart:

Girls, Dotty and I have been friends for about 4 years now. We first met on the MSN Wig Support group and are members of other Alopecia Areata support groups as well. I have been fortunate to spend time with Dotty at the NAAF conferences we attend. She has a heart of gold. I'm proud to wear the headwrap she sent me that says "Im Too Sexy for MY Hair" It's making friends like Dotty which have me so much in coming to terms with my baldness.

[​IMG] A favourite picture of Dotty and I

[​IMG] Wearing the headwrap that Dotty sent to me

Janie-Ann I hope that you and all the other girls do read & feel to post on the Alopecia Areata messageboards . The Alopecia Areata boards are not on the forum to separate us into groups but just to help make it easier for those newly diagnosed with Alopecia Areata who have questions etc. When I log on to Her Alopecia I look at all the recent posts since my last visit. I don't look to see which forums posts are in. We are all united here because of hairloss and it doesn't really matter what the cause of our hairloss is. All the emotions and experiences are the same & we can help and support one another.

Hugs to all,
    Joann

11. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

THANKS! :heart:

12. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

awww....thats sweet!!

13. hottydotty

hottydotty Guest

Joann,
    I love you my friend. Thank you for your kind and loving words. I'm glad I am here posting too. I've been trying to catch up on all my Alopecia sites. I love to try to keep in touch with everyone and give support whenever and wherever I can. I will be around more often now that things are beginning to settle down at my busy house.

JA...I just wanted you to know that we are all one big extended family here. Hairloss is hairloss. Your input is wanted and needed anywhere on this site. Please don't ever feel that your post is not welcomed.

Also, Thanx to all the other wonderful comments. I am going to post a picture of my hats. I have just put some up for auction on my ebay store. I have really let everything fall by the wayside lately due to some personal crisis' at home, but I'm trying to get back in the swing of things with my ebay store too.

14. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

Thanks all! I'm feeling the love!
    J-A

15. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Girls :grouphug:

I found this list on the NAAF site awhile ago now.

The original Top Ten List of Things only People with Alopecia Areata Can Do:

10. We don’t have to worry about those unsightly hairs growing out of our noses and ears when we get old

9. We can dye our patches of hair different colours and fit right in with punk rockers and clowns

8. If someone says , “I wish I had your hair!†we can give it to them

7. We can give head MOONs.

6. We can be a topic for a niece’s “Show & Tell†class

5. When we dance the hokey pokey, we can easily “put your hair in put your hair out, put your hair in and shake it all aboutâ€

4. We can put our hair on relatives’ babies and our pets and laugh

3. We can wash our hair in the sink

2. We can tell people whom we don’t like that our condition is contagious , so they will leave us alone

And the # 1 thing that only alopecians can do: We can make ourselves a tin suit and say we are from another planet!

:jump:

16. crashanna

crashanna Guest

brilliant Joann :mrgreen: I giggled all the way thru that!!!

17. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you liked them Anna. :jump: Keeping a sense of humour helps when dealing with a crappy condition like Alopecia Areata

Hugs, Joann

Here's a picture to make you smile. It cracks me up everytime I look at it. It was taken at one of the NAAF conferences.

[​IMG]

LMAO

18. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Guest

Hi Joann
    Thanks for posting that list, still laughing. Will have to print that one. :mrgreen:
    Great photo too.

19. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

lol! Joanne

That's so funny! My kids put on my wigs all the time! It's hilarious!

Oh! I just thought of another one!

When a salesperson comes knocking on your door, just answer the door while bald! They would be totally caught off guard! They'd probably forget for a moment what they were going to try to sell, and you would have a change to quickly say, "I'm sorry that I can't hear your presentation, but I'm running late for my hair appointment." and shut the door!

20. Redheaduk

Redheaduk Guest

Love the picture Joanne.

My mum and dad suggested that I get eyes tattooed on the back of my head but my boyfriend put the brakes on that. He said he doesn't mind about me being bald but he would have problems with me looking at him all the time!

I see his point. I don't think I'd like to wake up to a pair of eyes staring at me every morning.