Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Adrenal Fatigue and Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Arisemysoul, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. Here is an article I found interesting.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/29010 ... l-fatigue/

I should be the poster child for this article instead of the guy they have pictured! LOL! I have all the symptoms except the darkening of skin. Also, I have had my cortisol levels checked and they were awful.

What I found interesting is that LOW testosterone can cause hair loss?? My testosterone levels are normal to low. Usually on the low side. I know I have read from Dr. Redmond that even if you have low testosterone, you can have hair loss and acne if you are especially sensitive to it. But what about what this article says?

What do you all think about this. Has anyone else had experience with adrenal fatigue. I know Chickadee has so I'm hoping she will chime in on this one :)

2. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

What's interesting is that hair loss can be caused by both high cortisol and low cortisol. In the former, androgens and blood sugar are raised. In addition, thyroid receptors (and sometimes estrogen receptors) can be blocked by high cortisol.

In the latter, thyroid receptors can also be compromised. And with low cortisol, you'll tend to be hypoglycemic (instead of hyperglycemic). And yes, according to some sources (e.g., Dr. Elizabeth Vliet), low testosterone can also cause hair loss.

Personally, I would be very cautious about taking testosterone as a woman, however. According to my endo, your body can convert bioidentical progesterone into testosterone IF NEEDED. (It's the safer route to go for women according to him.)

My DHEA is still on the low side of normal according to my endo (low DHEA is typical in the latter stages of adrenal fatigue). I don't know about testosterone specifically, though. (Testosterone is directly associated with DHEA.) But my endo doesn't want me to supplement with DHEA at this point; we're just keeping an eye it. He also says that some people -- esp. if they don't have a lot of muscle -- will normally have lowish DHEA, and it's not necessarily a problem.

The first couple stages of adrenal fatigue involves HIGH cortisol; then your adrenals "crap out," and you shift to a LOW cortisol state. There's some overlap between the stages as well. So, it becomes difficult to know which state will have caused hair loss in a given individual.

In my case, the endo believes it was mainly the high cortisol that suppressed my thyroid, causing me to become temporarily hypothyroid. I also believe that my estrogen receptors were blocked. I suffered from low-estrogen symptoms (such as arthritic knees and hot flashes) even though my blood levels of estrogen were high-normal and my FSH was very low. I was still extremely fertile according to my second M.D. (I ditched the first M.D. after she told me not to bother investigating further because women's hormones typically go crazy at this time of life. A good reason to never let the docs play the "peri/menopause" card on you!)

Thanks for the peek at this article, Arisemysoul. :)

3. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Chickadee. So you don't take DHEA. Both my integrative docs strongly suggested I take DHEA. A low dose to begin with. I refused because I thought it would make my hair loss worse but now I'm rethinking. I have had a setback symptom wise. But my hair loss is about the same. I just have so many symptoms of adrenal fatigue that I get to a point I want to do something and hang the hair loss :crazy:

My cortisol tested very, very low all day and then would shoot up at night so I couldn't sleep. I am having those feelings again :(

I go next week for my checkup with my integrative doctor and can't wait to see what my numbers show. She hasn't checked my adrenals in a year so it may be time for that again.