Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Advice about starting Rogaine

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Maasai, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,

Since discovering my thinning hair in the past couple of months I'm debating whether to start using Rogaine. I'm really nervous because of the stories here of people who've lost more hair from using Rogaine and never recovered from the loss. Should I start using Rogaine while I still have enough hair?

2. brown

brown New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Maasai. I would advise you to go ahead and give it a try. I put up with my thinning hair for over a year and a half before I took the plunge. I just wasn't seeing enough improvement without it.

I have been using it for over a year. I just incorporated it into my morning beauty routine. Just the same as we all use products for our skin and whatnot. I did get a so called dread shed I think. It wasn't an abundant amount but I did shed. It did not change the appearance of my hair. As you can read in my latest posts I am again shedding more than usual. I have read about periodic shedding.

I have extremely fine hair that is not straight and it is short so regrowth is difficult to identify.

I did go to a hairdresser at the beginning of the month and every time I referred to my hair as thin she kept saying your hair is not thin just very fine. I told her that I use concealers to hide the thin spots and she said that I don't even need it. So I think that Rogaine albeit worked slowly for me it has definitely helped. It especially helped in that I am not obsessing so much about my thin hair.

3. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much, Brown. Did you find you had textural changes with Rogaine?

4. brown

brown New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I do t think so

5. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Maasai,
    If you've been shedding for only 2 months, I would hold off on the Rogaine. It could be just a TE and if thats the case, Rogaine is not going to help. Do you know the cause of your hair loss?

6. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Mellie,

I'm waiting to see a derm but I'm pretty sure it's Androgenetic Alopecia. It's been thinning since 2014, but I thought it was just age - it could have been going on for a lot longer. I only really noticed my thinning hair because I saw so much scalp in a picture. I have miniaturized hairs and the kinky texture mixed in with my normal hairs. My mom has acquired progressive kinky hair syndrome (I diagnosed her since finding more about it in my research about Androgenetic Alopecia) but no thinning hair. Between the kinky texture and the thinning hair I'm super tempted just to shave it all off. I can't deal with the stress and depression anymore.

7. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You've got nothing to lose then! Just remember to be patient. It doesn't work overnight.

8. Erika

Erika New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on month 1 on Rogaine 5% and I've seen a huge improvement in my hairline!
    I didn't get terrible side effects, just some extra hair on my forehead but nothing a tweezer can't fix :D

9. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    I decided to start Rogaine yesterday and see how it goes. I applied it late in the afternoon and experienced the pounding heart and insomnia later in the evening as expected. Today I put it on first thing this morning to see if applying it earlier will reduce the feelings of insomnia. Did anyone get these side effects? If you did, did it go away? Thanks!

10. Erika

Erika New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I did not experience insomnia

11. Leelees

Leelees Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I did! The first night that I applied it (I applied at around 7pm), I woke up at around 1-2am and couldn't go back to sleep. Sleeping has gotten better.

12. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Leelees and that's good to know! The first two nights were pretty bad but last night I managed to get some sleep. Today I don't have a headache so I hope it means I'll sleep better tonight.

13. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just going to keep my posts about rogaine here. I'm exactly two weeks in using rogaine and I've started the dread shed. Hair is just falling all over the place. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

Insomnia and headaches are gone now and I'm monitoring my skin for any changes while on it.

Leelees, how is your dread shed going? Has it tapered off at all?