Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Advice needed on topper-- I am confused

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by tsavia, Mar 10, 2014.

1. tsavia

tsavia Guest

Hello: I am new to this forum. I am in the process of selecting my first topper. I went to the premier wig shop in my town (I live in a large city but there are few shops) I've been there 3 times and my confusion is growing. I need a topper- not a wig. I need to have it virtually undetectable to my clients. I will wear it mostly at work and for social engagements. I do not want/need to wear it at home. My problem is increasing thinness at the crown and some at the back of my head. My questions are:

1. Human hair topper I've selected is about 2000.00 does this seem right? It is not that big or long.
    2. How long will the style stay in the human hair topper or is it just like my hair and will need to be styled as much as my hair?
    3. Can it be highlighted?
    4. There is a remy topper which also looks good. It is about 1300.00 does that seem right? How long will the style last in a remy topper?
    5 What is the durability of a human hair topper? Remy topper?
    6. Will the remy topper tangle and look bad after a short while?
    7.Can you highlight a remy topper? The shop says no.
    8. How can I tell if I am really getting virgin european hair?
    9 I have a prescription for it but it is just coded for alopecia. My hair loss is partly hormonal, partly genetic, partly due to thyroid. Does anyone know the codes that the insurance companies need to pay for a part of the topper? My company will only reimburse anything at all if the loss is due to an illness or injury-- not premature aging.

I am new to this forum. Any guidance is appreciated. I hope to purchase based on your guidance this week if at all possible.

I am grateful for your assistance.

2. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Try posting on heralopecia.com and you will find a lot more advice on toppers.
    I also just went the topper route. I got a synthetic one and it is very realistic.
    As for the pricing, it really just depends on the quality of the piece you want. Honestly, you can find a great topper, realistic- whether it's synthetic or human hair, for well under $1000. How much hair do you want it to have? If it's just to fill in the top of your head, then the ones you are referencing are likely more hair that you might need. But I don't know your needs. Nor am I an expert, lol. I really recommend heralopecia.com though, the ladies there can provide great advice and are very knowledgeable.

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a custom HH topper and paid $800 which included the cut in. My stylist has been in the hair replacement for 20+ years and is very knowledgeable. She told me that remy has its issues - the hair cuticle is shaped like a Christmas tree and unless every hair goes with the "tree" in the same direction you will have tangling. As far as European hair goes, I don't know if it's good or bad - my topper is a combination of different hair I'm told. I think the most undetectable topper would be with a different base than I have - with clips you have to have a firm enough rim to support the clips and I don't have enough bio hair to blend/hide the edge, so I wear bangs. Really no problem except with wind that blow directly into my face and blows the hair away from my face. As far as durability, I've had toppers last several years - they dry out eventually. Not sleeping in the topper extends its life. If your topper needs to be cut, you want to be sure that the stylist is trained in cutting a wig or topper - it's not the same as cutting bio hair. What is your geographical area?

4. tsavia

tsavia Guest

Advice needed on topper I am confused

I am in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

5. tsavia

tsavia Guest

Does anyone have any experience with the wig shops for toppers in the phoenix/Scottsdale area? Please share. Thank you.