Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Advice On Managing Rogaine Application

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by 7680, Jan 4, 2019.

1. 7680

7680 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello All,

I have come to the conclusion that I need to try the rogaine. I dread it, but I have to do SOMETHING and quickly. I’ve been to 5 derms with no definitive answers other than “wait and see”. My loss has greatly increased over this time. One wants to do a biopsy.....but I truly believe that what I have is Alopecia Areata (my hormonal history and hair loss adds up to this being a no-brainer). I would certainly rather not do an invasive procedure that will cause more trauma to my scalp. For those veteran rogaine users:

How and when do you apply it (I have read the material, but just asking the “experts” here)
    How long does your application take
    Have you had excess hair growth elsewhere (one of my huge concerns, as I already struggle with this problem as it is)
    Do you wash your hair everyday, and when, in regards to the application (washing my hair is extremely stressful and I dread doing it even 2x per week)
    I am on 100 mg Spironolactone. Does this drug compound light-headeness and other side effects, as both have similar properties
    How does this product affect your current hair quality
    Did you purchase a hairpiece prior to using, due to anticipating even more hair loss with initial shed
    What has been your over experience/satisfaction

I have been spending the majority of my days searching the internet for answers and for derms that are true experts in this situation. It is taking over my life. The only legit-appearing practices near me, look to be the scalp and hair disorders clinic at Penn. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get an appt and they only review the referral letters (required) once per month.

I know that I have asked a lot of questions. If anyone has anything to offer in any of these areas, I would truly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

2. Prisky

Prisky New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. Ive been using generic minoxidil 5% for a year now. I use it once a day before bed. At first my scalp was irritated but it got better a month or so in. Application takes a minute or two max. It has become part of my daily routine. I havent had excessive growth anywhere. Im just careful when i apply it to my scalp and wash off any minoxidil that runs on my face. I wash my hair every 4 days. I find that the minoxidil lotion doesnt make my hair oily which is great. I am also on 100mg Spironolactone and did not notice any side effects related to minoxidil. Minoxidil has helped me. I was also hesitant at firsr but if you dont try it you will never know if it works for youor not. Just be prepared for the initial shed around week 4 or so. After that my hair filled in and stopped falling like crazy. I hope my answer has helped in some way.

3. 7680

7680 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I greatly appreciate your response! How bad was the initial shed? I feel as though I would have to purchase a wig prior to trying the rogaine. If I lose any additional hair, I need a wig Thanks again!

4. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello New Member, thre is tons of info on this suject in this forum. Just google it up. Some people (including myself) we never had the initial shed, but some other sideffects like puffy eyes which strangely appeared a few months down the road of using it (went away luckily). Long eyelashes were a nice desired sideffect... But as said above - do your research, some members had only positive results to report about and vice versa. Good luck anyway, if that is your decision.

5. 7680

7680 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have applied the rogaine for 3 days now. The 1/2 capful amount only covers a few parts. Is this supposed to fill in all over the head (with diffuse, widespread thinning) or just where it is applied? I called the company and they said to only apply on the top. I did also apply on the sides, where I am super-receding. Thanks for any feedback