Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

advice please, do i have alopecia?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by brambles, Apr 15, 2007.

1. brambles

brambles Guest

hi, im a long time lurker first time poster and i really need advice. 6 years ago, when my son was 2 - 3 years old, i had a couple of bald patches on my head. i was diagnosed as alopecia atreta. it cleared up. i had another baby alomost two years ago now and again my hair has started to fall out. for about a year now at both sides of my head my hair has been getting extremely fine, so fine that other people can notice. i went to my docter and she said it was alopecia again. i have had the blood tests again and bothing showed up.

anyways im going back to the doctor this because im starting to think that it isnt alopecia. the reason is i only have one tiny patch on the side of my head, which as i said has taken a year to form, doesnt alopecia happen more quikly than that. both times it happened from a year after id had a baby. and thirdly im losing grey hairs too arent they usually left by alopecia.

i would greatly appreciate advice and opinions to be armed with when i go to the doctor this week. thanks in advance of replies.

2. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

i'm new at experiencing alopecia. i've done a lot of research on it since my first spot showed up seven months ago or so. my alopecia has taken off like wild fire, but from the research i have done, alopecia is highly unpredictable. child birth does seem to be a common "spark" to set it off. a couple people at work have told me that they (or a spouse) have had a bout of it, with one spot that cleared up and to this day has not come back. granted, i can't myself say if what you have is alopecia, but as i understand it, it very likely could be. sounds like you have a milder form (if there is such a thing) than i myself do, and i hope you grow yoru hair back without having to undergo a lot of treatment, and without losing a lot.

3. brambles

brambles Guest

i forgot to say that there are quite a lot of hairs which have just snapped too rather than fall out from the root

4. brambles

brambles Guest

thanks for replying hun. sorry to hear your alopecia is taking hold so fast.

from what ive read though about hair loss after pregnancy it usually sets in within months after the baby is born. my son is two in a couple of weeks and ive only just got my first patch. with my other experience that was when my son was around 2 years old also

5. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

maybe the hair loss is unrelated to the childbirth? could possibly be the stress of a two year old? i'm not sure. again, from all the research i have done on alopecia, there are many "triggers" they don't know the underlying cause, but that stress, hormones, etc can "trigger" the onset of symptoms.

6. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have alopecia areata so I can't comment on that, but I can say that the gray hairs are not "loss proof." If they were, I'd have a very full head of very gray hair! Gray hair is a loss of pigment and has nothing to do with the health of the follicle.