Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Advice

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Sunshine85, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Sunshine85

Sunshine85 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. I have had gradual thinning for close to six years now. I had REALLY thick hair so if someone didn't know me before it would have been hard to notice. My hair is now thin, I can still " pass" but my hair quality has really diminished over the past year. I finally quit bleaching my hair 6 months ago and dyed it dark. It seemed to help a little. I was wondering what supplements would work the best to strength my hair I have and help it to grow longer. Of course I would like it to get thicker but I am not sure that is realistic. I have basically ignored my hair issues for the past three years because I just feel hopeless. Seeing other women with heavy thick hair makes me wish for my old easy hair, but I know it will never be the same. I am 29 with the hair of a grandmother... No offense to grandmothers.

Please give me some hair supplement suggestions? I am planning on getting pregnant soon so I don't want to use anything like rogaine.

thank you everyone!

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    If we had the answer we wouldn't be here. Female hair loss is very complicated and something as simple as a supplement is rarely the answer. I'd suggest an appt. with a good dermatologist and/or endocrinologist.

3. Jenk

Jenk Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Personally.. many people have found dermatologists to be worthless and after seeing 2 and spending 600 bucks on one who basically told me I was betraying HIM by wanting to go a natural route (I am getting married and want to leave the door open for the small chance I might conceive). I lost almost 60-65 percent of my hair since the first week of July.. but actually some of it started to come out as early as April, after going off the pill. Mine was a bad pill for hair loss.. loestrin. I suggest reading lara briden's healthy hormone blog.. I started on magnesium glycinate 2x per day, D3, Iron, Primrose Oil 2x a day, B complex, tons of protein. I saw a Trichologist which I thought was much more helpful than a dermatologist. I had a ton of blood work done. I am not sure why the doctor had my ferritin levels checked if, as he said, there is no connection between hair loss and ferritin levels. Mine were 51 and they need to be over 70 to regrow hair. See an Endocrinologist, and a Trichologist.. get one of them to do full blood work ups.. hormone levels and ferritin and D and B. http://www.larabriden.com/causes-of-hormonal-hair-loss/

4. Sunshine85

Sunshine85 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. I do understand it is not that easy. But some suggestions for vitamins are always good.

5. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am wondering what vitamins to take as well other then Daily Women's supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Vit. D...

I hear good things about Hair, Skin, & Nails but I am not sure. At my next appointment, follow-up with Endocrinologist I will ask about this... I believe that adding protein/fish to your daily diet can go a long way (doesn't hurt anyway.) :)

I know what you mean about feeling hopeless. Unfortunately the only thing there is, is Rogaine, at least as a first option. There are transplants but I am not sure if everyone is a good candidate for that or not. I am hoping to have a baby at some point too (I'm 27) but for now, I am single and it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon so I am doing Spironolactone and Rogaine. I will just have to stop both, and resume after pregnancy is over... I wish there were more options, but there isn't. ;/ I hope that something comes available in the next 10 years. :/