Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Aldactone/Spironolactone and Breast Enlargemet

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by bronte18, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bronte18

bronte18 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dear All,

I am considering using Aldactone/Spironolactone but am quite worried by the idea of irreversible breast enlargement particularly as I am very small framed and despite being very thin have a substantial bust. If you experienced this side effect, I would appreciate your feedback and would specifically like to know if it was:

1. Reversible?
    2. Sudden?
    3 .To what degreee (one cup size, two?)
    4. How long were you using Aldactone/Spironolactone for?
    5. What was the dose (100mg/200mg)?

Thankyou in advance.

2. mrm

mrm Guest

hi,

i have been on Spironolactone 200 mg for over 4 mths and notice no breast enlargement.

good luck.

mrm

3. bronte18

bronte18 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thankyou Mrm! Have you noticed any other side effects?

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I took Spironolactone for a long time - would have welcomed a few extra inches but no such luck! I would mention, however, that men who take it do have breast enlargement, according to a previous derm.

5. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I took Spironolactone for about 1-2 years at varying dosages from 50-200mg per day. I actually lost weight on the drug so my breasts actually shrank because of that (maybe half a cup size). This was not really significant to me as I was large enough to begin with in that department to not mind a little less on top.

6. Greene

Greene Guest

I've been on Spironolactone for a little over 4 months now, and no breast enlargement as yet. However, I have noticed more lumps. I started on 100mg and have been on 125mg for the past month and a half.

7. bronte18

bronte18 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Lily and Bummer: Thankyou very much for your replies!

Greene: Thankyou also for your reply. Am just about to PM you.

8. sw33ti3

sw33ti3 Guest

I could do with a little breast enlargment,lol. But what have your thoughts been on whether Spironolactone works or not? A friend mentioned it to me today, said her friend took it for cystic acne but it helped her thinning hair too.

9. Louise

Louise Guest

Hi Bronte18,

I took Spironolactone 200mg for nearly 4 years and it did make my breasts larger and to be honest I appreciated it as I was at the back of the que when God gave out the big boobs. I remember spending my teenage years sunbathing on my belly the majority of time because of my small boobs - only when the beach was empty did I turn over and sunbathe on my back. I know as women we are not just boobs but part of me can't help feeling glad my daughter won't feel the same as me as she is much larger in the boob department.

I have stopped the Spironolactone for over 4 months and yeah the bigger boobs have stayed, but bugger I am too old now to sunbathe in a bikini now (48) ;). I can't say the Spironolactone for me personally made my boobs more lumpy and I have in the past have had several benign lumps removed from my breasts, first being at 17 years of age.

Louise :)

10. sw33ti3

sw33ti3 Guest

LOL, that's good to hear. I should've been specific though......Has it helped with the hairloss?? regrowth etc;??

11. Louise

Louise Guest

Hi sw33ti3,

From what I remember initially after taking the Spironolactone (about 3 months in I did see a reduction in my shed and perhaps if I hadn't taken my hair would have been much worse - who knows. At the time I was also suffering with really greasy skin and my hair would be come really greasy within a hour of washing it. My hair was definetly less greasy and my skin also after starting Spironolactone.

I stopped taking the Spironolactone several months ago as I felt it was starting to have an adverse effect on me i.e. permanently felt as if I was in a flight and fright response (on edge all the time), terrible insomnia etc. Oddly enough the greasy skin and hair has not returned since stopping the Spironolactone and my current shed is around 50-65/day which I would say is in the normal range. My hair is looking fine except for the grey hairs which I haven't got the courage to colour in case it triggers more hairloss. Years ago when this hairloss thing started I coloured my hair at home and I lost hundreds of hairs and it put me off colouring. Once you have had hairloss you constantly live in fear of a dred shed of some sort. I currently have very slight frizz on top of my head and I mean very slight frizz but my hair went off for a while due to stresses caused my sons ongoing illness.

Perhaps this is of no use to you but this was my experience with Spironolactone.

Good luck with whatever decision you decide with the Spironolactone.

Louise :)

12. mrm

mrm Guest

To the OP,

sorry for the late response - no, i have not experienced any sideaffects on Spironolactone.

feel free to pm me.

mrmr

13. jamielee

jamielee Guest

I'm new to hair loss treatments. Does Spironolactone require a prescription from the doctor? I haven't tried a pharmaceutical treatment just yet and am not exactly sure how I would go about it. It's good to hear that you're not having any side effects. That's a fear of mine. Did your health insurance cover it?

14. MaryXYX

MaryXYX Guest

I found this thread by searching for Spironolactone / breast development. My endocrinologist says there is research showing Spironolactone restricts breast growth. Are we at cross purposes here? Finding it promotes breast growth for people who don't want it, and restricts it for those who do sounds a bit far fetched to me.

15. I've been on Aldactone for around 10 months now and have gone from a loose'ish 12C to a tight 12D!!! :D

16. MaryXYX

MaryXYX Guest

I'm a somewhat loose 38B so I could well do with some more. That's UK size - a 12D can't be! I didn't say in my first post but I was taking 25 mg.

17. katiebrookie

katiebrookie Guest

Spironolactone- acne, breast enlargement, and facial hair.

I have been taking Spironolactone for about 3 months at 25mg and did not notice any changes in breasts, a slight change in acne (better), and barely a difference in facial hair. I slowly moved up to 100mg (and have been on that dosage about 1-2 months) and my acne is pretty much GONE! The acne that I do have is non-cystic and few and far between. Before this med/dosage I had cystic and every other type of acne popping up daily. The facial hair is still present but it seems to be coming is slower, and less :):) My breasts have definitely increased in size, roundness, and firmness. I am not sure about the difference in cup size, but I am spilling out of my current bras and have been wearing tank tops with shelf bras due to the difference. (I can't say that I am not happy about it as I too was not blessed in that department lol) They are very sore, especially in the mornings, but it is tolerable throughout the day. I am still wondering if they will continue to increase in size, and/or stay this size in the future...? The only negative side effect I have noticed with this medication is leg cramps at night. Good luck to all, as I know how frustrating it can be to have these symptoms, side effects, and the burden of having to make the decision to take a new medication.

18. katiebrookie,

Welcome to the forum! Have you checked with your dr to make sure those leg cramps aren’t anything serious? I had a few of those at night a couple months after starting sprio and restarting Yasmin. The pharmacist I had extra consultations with said she didn’t think it was either medication though, since it was only happening at night. I finally figured out it was because I went to bed kind of tensed up (had terrible anxiety about my hair loss then) and that was causing it.

I’ve been on Spironolactone + bcp for over a year now and my hirsutum is MUCH better! I’m very impressed with it for that reason. It took quite a few months before I noticed a lot of improvement though, so don’t loose hope.

My boobs feel “fuller”, but I don’t think I could honestly say they have increased in cup size any. It could be my imagination, but I’ve gotten more pronounced stretch marks around my breasts in the past couple months. Not sure if it is the Spironolactone, weight gain, or something else. Anyone else have it? Worried me at some points, wondering if it was some sort of cortisol issue…

19. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I took 200 mg of Spironolactone for about 6 months until I realized that it was causing a bad sun/ heat related rash on my skin. I had to switch to Avodart to my regret since Spironolactone is SO MUCH cheaper. It didn't have any effect on my breast size. Sigh. Would have been nice LOL.

20. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    LOL i would love to take some just for that, like a lot of us here it seems, lol :).