Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Aldactone

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by StressedTresses, May 20, 2012.

1. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! I never knew that there was a capsule form of minoxidil. I use rogaine foam but would totally prefer a pill! Please keep us updated and good luck!

2. Thanks JeHope! yeah I didn't know until my derm told me! its only 12 months in the market so fairly new. I will definitely keep you all updated on my progress. Its so much easier to pop a tiny pill once a day (I do it before bed because it lowers blood pressure and I am not moving much in bed lol). the only slight risk is that hair wont only grown on my head, there is a possible chance I will get extra hair in other places, but I am willing to take that risk.

3. Ok! So it’s exactly a month into starting my minoxidil tablets 1mg and I can assure you that I do not have a moustache – YET! lol. Anyway the shedding seems to have stopped, I am thinking the shedding is quicker this time around because it’s a tablet and also because I am on Aldactone 200mg for way over a year. I have lost hair, a significant enough amount for me to tell the difference, but not as much as I thought. I really prepared myself for the worst and was sure I would have to wear my hairpiece after the shedding but I am doing fine with toppik, probably use a tiny bit extra since. So I guess I am just waiting now for new hairs to grow :) patiently…

I am a bit concerned why the shedding period was so short. My derm told me shedding hair technically IS a good thing because that hair will be replaced with thicker hairs & it means the product is working. When I used topical minoxidil in 2007, I shed for months and so much hair was lost that I had to get a plumber in to unblock my shower drain eeeek! And that was successful, after a good year, I saw great results. Maybe oral minoxidil is different? Maybe this time its shorter because of the Aldactone? I don’t know what it could be, but I will find out the results soon I guess.

Will keep all updated :)

4. Shedding has definitely stopped... hair feels about a packet of extensions lighter (150grams)?? no regrowth yet but heres hoping! :)

5. OK just collected my second 3 month supply of minoxidil from the chemist today and realised that i havent updated my progress. so 3 months on 1mg minoxidil capsules and i see hair growing on my temples so far which the dermatologist says is amazing progress for the 3 month mark..., my hair that i do have has gone really long , i am still paranoid about my hairloss & still using toppik, i wear hair pieces (clip on fringe, extensions etc) on special occassions... I have met someone and he doesnt seem to even notice anything about my hair, says i am perfect inside and out... but he has only seen me with toppik on, we are going away on our first holiday together and i am a bit stressed about what to do hair-wise lol... its not severely noticeable but yeah i have a wide middle part that i fill in with toppik and then part my hair to the side. I know he genuinely doesnt care about it, but I do!! and i wish i didnt... i feel so vain at times. I will keep on doing the 1mg minoxidil/100mg Spironolactone regime and will update again in another 3 months time :-D (yes I am down to 100mg from 200mg as the dermatologist said that i dont have to take 200mg because i am on minoxidil) xox

6. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Stressed, hope things are still progressing well for you. I just wanted to see if you could give another update on the oral minoxidil. Have you felt and other sides like fast heartbeat etc, or skin/swelling issues.

On the men boards it is known that oral minoxidil is far superior to topical--but of course the side are greater. I do think that taking the Spironolactone will help with the increased body hair...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I just noticed that you gave that last update just a few days ago--so probably not much new. If any other observations though, I would be really interested...

7. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

No it did not help me. been taking it for about a year and it has not helped regrow my hair, even slow the progression of the loss. for me it has done as good as nothing

8. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    BGS92, you used ORAL minoxidil for one year?

9. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

No, I used topical minoxidil and oral spironolactone :)