Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Almost a year later...

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by AmyCE, Jan 15, 2013.

1. AmyCE

AmyCE Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I just had a follow-up with my dermatologist after three months of shots in my latest spots. These popped up in September, after about 3 months of "remission" from the first round of spots that I discovered almost a year ago.

In recent months, I've decided not to check my head and to really only look as much as I needed to in order to apply the topical steroid twice a day. About a month ago, I decided to ditch the steroid altogether since I found I didn't need the concealer anymore and my head was showing lots of regrowth. I've been living blissfully ignorant of whatever might be going on back there and have been much happier and stress-free as a result. Now I just ask my dermatologist to look for me and yesterday she said there were no new spots and no need to continue injections in the old ones. :D

She was careful to remind me that this could come back (since it did already) but I said, quite honestly, I think I'm over the worst of it, which was always the emotional stuff. Constant worrying about when I would go on to lose *all* of my hair. Freaking out at what I found in the shower or on the floor or in the comb. Dooming myself to worst-case scenarios that may never happen. Granted, this mindset took a year and being one of the lucky ones with a relatively isolated case that always resulted in regrowth. But months ago, I wouldn't have acknowledged that, and was still crying in front of the mirror in fear of the unknown, even though I was dealing with a very manageable case of Alopecia Areata.

So this post is for those ladies that are newly diagnosed, have a fairly small presentation, and are making themselves sick with fear of "what's next?!" In my case, it never got bad enough to effect my life, except for how I handled it emotionally. My hair grew back. No one noticed it was gone and most days, I didn't have to work too hard to cover it up. I learned to appreciate my health and take each day at a time, for what it actually was, not what I worried it would be. Today I am happier, healthier, and deal with lots of life's stresses with a new, practical outlook. While it would be nice not to have to lose your hair to learn these lessons, maybe that's just how it goes sometimes. :)

admin likes this.
  2. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Amy
    That is really good news on the regrowth!:) You sound really positive I hope things continue to improve for you,
    Sara

3. Lost

Lost Guest

That 's such good news Amy!!! thanks for coming back and sharing it will help the girls with Alopecia Areata stay positive!