Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Alopecia and mental illness

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Guest, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Are these two connected? I was Alopecia Universalis @ 2 and I have mental illness. Is it the chicken vs egg?

2. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

Mate I think if you are talking about Depression, anxiety, panic and low self esteem issues I would say YES .. alopecia has made me feel like this .. if your talking about more serious ones I wouldnt know ....

some days I feel like I am hainvg a total mental break down !!

3. Prini

Prini Guest

Alopecia is physically and mentally challenging. I feel with many diseases it is how you handle/cope with it.
    Cancer is both mentally and physically exhausting, but some people handle it much better than others. Some people are blessed with very optimistic attitudes.

If you've been Alopecia Universalis since two and suffer from mental illness and you mean depression, anxiety, and even thoughts of suicide, I would say yes, too.

I hope you have support at home, if not, we are here (even if u have support).

Prini

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome :)

I've had Alopecia Areata since I was 4. I was fortunate to have my hair eventually grow back but still had ongoing bouts of Alopecia Areata after that.

I don't remember how it affected me at 4 but I do remember feeling very ashamed and embarassed about it when I was about 8. I'm 54 now so in those days there was no support available and I lived in fear that anyone would find out my "secret". I never met anyone else with Alopecia Areata either so I really thought I was the only one on the earth who had it.

Having these feelings really affected my personality because I grew up with very low self- esteem. It didn't help that I came from a family where there was a lot of negativity and not much praise.

My Alopecia Areata was in spontaneous remission for quite awhile but it started again at 40 and by 50 I was AT. I have been Alopecia Universalis for over a year now.

I have had problems with anxiety and depression in the past . I do think that having Alopecia Areata played a part but was not the whole cause . My home environment when I was growing up played a more major part.

I do have to say that finding support and meeting others who are dealing with hairloss has done wonders for me. I found support about 2 years ago now and I can truly say that I'm not the same person I was. My shame and embarassment are gone. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Knowing I'm not alone has brought me to a place of peace and acceptance that I would never have dreamed possible. When I can help others who are struggling it also helps to heal me even more. It is like I am making up for all those years when I was so alone making sure others do not have to feel the same.

I hope you come here often. I don't know how you feel about being Alopecia Universalis at this time but you are among friends here that want to help in any way they can.

Having hairloss does change us forever but I think in the long run we eventually become stronger and more compassionate as people.

I often think of all the wonderful people I have met in the two years since I found support. I feel very blessed for that.

Hope to hear from you again soon. Hugs. Joann

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you

I think mental illness/diorders are a lot like hairloss. Many different flavors all with there own set of hurdles. Wether it depression, manic depression. Anxiety or Schizophrenia. Not one of these is worse than the other just different.

I do have a great support team but I've yet to ever meet or talk to anyone with this flavor of hairloss. Thank