Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Alopecia Areata- AND losing eyelashes?!

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by maisydaisy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

Ok ladies, I'm on a bit of a freak out right now. I have severe Alopecia Areata- more than 50% loss, but the fallout has recently been lessening. However, I noticed today that I have a tiny "hole" in the eyelashes of my right eye. Does this mean I'm going toward Alopecia Universalis or can Alopecia Areata patients sometimes lose just part of their eyelashes?

2. Karen

Karen Guest

Hi Maisy

I'm glad your shed is down. Woo hoo! That is really some good news. I've had hair loss in some weird places. One patch on my right arm, one patch on my left leg and one on my private (but who cares, right?). I guess what I am saying is that Alopecia Areata runs it own course. No one knows for sure which way it will go. I guess only time will tell you the answer to that.

My derm told me that 75% of people with Alopecia Areata grow their hair back. I think that's a big percentage. So let's keep as positive as we can.

3. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Maisy,

I wouldn't worry if I was you. Karen's derm is right. So many people with Alopecia Areata recover fully. There are really not that many who go on to the more severe forms of AT and Alopecia Universalis. Even those who go to AT often recover as well.

Here are some facts that may mean a more severe loss of hair . Please remember that even if one or more applies it still is not written in stone that one will go on to have severe loss. In fact all 4 points applied to my case at 4 years of age and I still regrew my hair and had twenty years when my Alopecia Areata was in spontaneous remission.

1. If you have ezcema.
    2. If you had your first episode of hairloss before puberty
    3. If members of your family have alopecia areata
    4. If you have lost more than 50% of your hair.

Take care and don't panic. All my best. ((((Big hugs )))) Joann

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi again Maisy,

I just want to add that I never had much hair on my arms and legs even when my Alopecia Areata was in spontaneous remission. Hugs Joann

5. IONLYWISH

IONLYWISH Guest

Joann,
    You are always such a comfort. Thank you for all the info you share.
    I always look at your posts. They have great info and are always inspiring. Thank you again.
    Twins

6. Sissy

Sissy Guest

{{{{Maisey}}}}

Girl don't sweat it. All of these ladies are absolutely correct, it is just going to have to run it course and then will grow back. Who knows that might be it for you or you might have the occational spot like me, just hang in there. It will be over soon.

Loosing it all is very rare. You will be ok.

Hugs to you,
    Sissy

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks, guys! I feel so much better with all your encouragement, and Karen, you're right...I'm going to enjoy the fact that my shed is down!
    My one little eyelash "hole" is probably just that...little.

Love y'all!

8. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

Oops...that guest was me. I forgot to log in!