Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Alopecia Areata gone wild...now Alopecia Universalis

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Universalis & Totalis' started by Penny1970, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Penny1970

Penny1970 Guest

It is so inspiring to read other people's accounts. I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata at 13 and have never had more than 3 or 4 spots with years between occurences. This year, for the first time, my husband and I decided to escape the harsh Canadian winter and stay in Myrtle Beach for 3 months. A week or so before we left we decided that it was a good idea to get our flu shots. About 2 days before we left, I was experiencing shocking amounts of hair loss and had upwards of 14 spots on my scalp. I am a month in now and have lost 90% of my scalp hair and all other body hair is shedding as well.
    I was shocked, to say the least.
    I mentioned the flu shot because we are always guessing at triggers and the timing is very coincidental. I have also read that the H1N1(swine flu), if contracted, can cause hair loss. Makes sense then to me that the vaccine for it may do the same in predisposed Alopecia Areata sufferers.
    anyway, i found a wig shop here in S.C. Which is owned by an Alopecia sufferer and have purchased 2 fabulous wigs. I am also blessed that I have another couple of months to prepare myself to see familiar faces back home with my new situation!
    It certainly is an adjustment, but, even from the onset, I kept thinking of my sister who passed away of breast cancer. She was going through this and was deathly ill at the same time, so, this is a day in the park in comparison.
    Here's wishing all of you the discovery of inner beauty and confidence!
    Penny

2. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Penny and welcome!

My sympathy that your sister passed away, it is hard to watch loved ones suffer that way.

Sorry to hear that your Alopecia Areata has turned into Alopecia Universalis but is great you have found you have found some wigs you like, makes life so much easier!:)