Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Alopecia Areata Maybe Ophiasis? With Scalp Psoriasis- Pics

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Lyn.66, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Lyn.66

Lyn.66 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I discovered 2 bald patches st the back of my head back in April just before I turned 19 (literally appeared within days) which was after a pretty stressful few weeks but nothing life altering! I’ve always had long and thick and healthy hair and now it feels about half the thickness :( I went to the dermatologist within a few days of discovering these where I was given a prescription of 30mg prednisone to take for 2 weeks orally. Also was given a lotion to treat scalp psoriasis I also got diagnosed for at the same time.
    That’s what €250 cost me - and being told to be patient, agh! I’ve been taking a hair multivitamin myself to try and make a difference and drinking Manuka honey with lemon for my immune system - got bloods done at doctors too and nothing amiss.

The first pic below is taken the week after I went to the dermatologist and the second in the mirror was taken this week (3 months on)... I have some peach fuzz regrowing in a small patch on the right side but nothing substantial yet...

Has anyone ever seen a similar pattern / mixed with psoriasis and with what results??

Attached Files:

2. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey,

I'm 37...something similar happened to me when I turned 17...a couple of tiny coin-shaped patches at the back of my head...near the nape...psoriasis in the same location that had started a couple of years previously...the dermatologist said hair will grow back and cover these patches...he prescribed some drops to be applied topically (forgot the name...something starting with Dexa)...hair did grow back but my androgenic alopecia started the same year...I had long, thick black hair...now, after 20 years, I have barely enough hair to cover my scalp. I'm not saying this is exactly what will happen to everyone that starts out the same way...but just get all tests done...

3. Laura Eve

Laura Eve New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Lyn, welcome. It’s obviously alopecia areata but whether or not it’s ophiasis, I don’t know. I think because you have ‘patches’, rather than a receding line, that it’s not ophiasis. That’s wonderful that you are seeing some peach fuzz! That’s generally how regrowth starts, then strengthens up.

Psoriasis with Alopecia Areata is common as they are both auto immune.

I have alopecia areata incognita (diffuse Alopecia Areata) but have been hit hardest on my neck and hairline.

4. Lyn.66

Lyn.66 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your replies! I knew psoriasis was linked by the autoimmunity but I had never actually read about the two in one case and began to think it might have been what caused my hairloss... it would be reassuring if it’s not ophiasis - I’ve only read negative things in terms of regrowth I think I may have some form of diffuse as I’m still losing >100 strands a day but can’t really see any visible growing of baldness where the spots already are or any new spots forming...I’ve always had quite thin hair/baby hair around my temples so maybe that’s just being hit!