Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Alopecia Areata.. permanent or temporary?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlossat22, Feb 19, 2015.

1. hairlossat22

hairlossat22 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to whether alopecia areata is permanent or temporary. I've had it before, but it was much more rapid with multiple spots and starting growing back within 3-4 months after the initial hair loss. This time, I only have one spot that I noticed in July and it got bigger in September, remained relatively the same size until January and has now gotten a little bit bigger (from size of dime to a little bit bigger than size of a nickel). I've always been under the impression alopecia areata is temporary, but some sites say it could be permanent. However, I'm not sure if they're referring to alopecia areata totalis/universalis which I know has a lower chance of being temporary. But the small bald patches, are those always temporary or could they be permanent too?

2. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think for most people it is tempory, but as one patch grows in another one can form, however the majority of people recover but it can take time. No one can totally predict if and when Alopecia Areata progresses or goes into remission but there are a few things that can help to predict the outcome. You are more at risk if you have a family history of hair loss, other auto immune diseases, have alopecia as a child, down syndrome, nail pitting.

I know this is really frustrating but try to remember AT/Alopecia Universalis is rare I have heard many Alopecia Areata stories with a positive outcome , hang in there :)