Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Alright, I am now convinced that Spironolactone works.

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Mar 8, 2016.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been inconsistent with it for a few months then went off of it the last two weeks. I can see my part starting to widen and more thinning on top... I am definitely now more convinced that Spironolactone is needed for Androgenetic Alopecia.

In terms of my side affects:

I think the biggest thing is that I have to make sure I am taking it twice a day with food, and if I miss a dose, to not make up for it. Just resume the next day.

I don't know... I am confused. I wish I didn't have to take it but I think it was just wishful thinking... I am not about to let go of all the progress I have made. :(

Now, should I resume with 50 mg or drive it up to 100 mg?

What are your experiences? I'm nervous about bumping it up so perhaps I should stay on the 50 mg...

Thanks for reading.

-Michelle

2. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are you shedding more?
    If you do decide to stay on it- I think I would probably stay at the lowest possible dose of that was working for you

3. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Were you only taking 50 mg before? If you were having issues with it but it was working for you, I'd stick to that dose rather than bump it up and run the risk of having to completely get off it.

4. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Spironolactone definitely works for Androgenetic Alopecia, the question is does it work for you specifically. If you are already seeing changes (for the negative) since you've been off of it, then maybe the answer is yes. I hate to tell you that because I know you really wanted to get off the Spironolactone, but the truth is, if you have confirmed Androgenetic Alopecia, Rogaine will only get you so far by itself. I'd definitely start slow since you're basically starting over after having been off for over 2 weeks, but in the future if you decide the side effects you thought you were getting from the Spironolactone are actually not caused by it, or that they are reduced by taking it with food, I would maybe think about increasing the dose a little bit. There is a reason the literature and the experts all recommend 200 mg of Spironolactone in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia. According to my research, Spironolactone's anti androgenic activity doesn't manifest until you are taking at least 100 mg/day.

5. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all. I appreciate your feedback. Yes I was taking 50 mg. I guess I just had to see for myself if it was working or not. My hair still looks good but I have noticed some thinning.

I agree staying on 50 mg is best for now... I can revisit going on a higher dose later... I guess I thought maybe it wasn't working because it's only 50 mg...

I did want to go off of it but atleast I know now.

Thanks again all. :)

6. jordan1234

jordan1234 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that it works, I was only taking 50mg and using Rogaine for 4 months. I quit both at the same time because it seemed they were doing nothing (maybe hair looked worse on some days) and I had no signs of regrowth. Sure enough, after stopping both, 3 months later my hair shed bad and now it looks even worse than before. So it had to have been helping keep some hair on my head I guess? I went back to derm, she told me I should have never just stopped taking it, and told me to start again at 50mg a day. Well the following month I went to OB-Gyn (he specializes in hormones) and he told me to up it to 100mg and added finn, I take half a pill 5mg 3X a week, so its about 1mg a day. Then I just went to get a second opinion from a different derm who I go to for filler, and she said I need 200mg because that dose seems to work best for hair. She said the 100mg was helping but the 200mg would be better. She also told me to restart the womans roagine foam after letting the 200mg be in my system for 30 days. She said most of her clients are having success with the new 5% rogaine. She said not to use the Kirkland brand because for some reason it irritates some scalps. So I am still deciding whether I will do the rogaine again, its such a commitment and I may hold off and see how I do on Spironolactone/finn alone for now.
    I am also considering adding yasmin or ortho cyclen per the Dr. Redmund book. I am 44 and I assume my estrogen is declining although my OB-Gyn does not see any obvious signs of this since I still have periods on time. But again, hate to add something that may make it worse. So many mixed stories out there.

7. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing Jordan. There are so many mixed stories which is why it is difficult to know what to do. Since 50 mg seems to work for me I will stick with that and take everyone's advice.

I think you should keep up with Rogaine but... I also think you should try Men's Rogaine 5%. Dermatologists usually recommend this right away because it is more effective. I personally prefer the liquid because it is hard applying the foam to my scalp. It just goes into my hair... I used the foam when I originally started Rogaine but didn't like it... Don't go on a high dose of Spironolactone until you are certain you need it... Dermos will suggest it but that doesn't mean you need to.

Best of luck as we are all on this journey together. ❤

8. Jtilly

Jtilly Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I see this post is quite old so not sure if you’ll see this..
    Did you ever add the birth control? How are you doing now if you don’t mind me asking?
    I am 40, peri menopause I think and am trying to decide if I should add birth control. I am currently taking only 25mg of Spironolactone for hormonal acne but it’s just making it worse. Plus have super low, almost non existent testosterone levels.

9. Sandy

Sandy Member

Dislikes Received:
    Please don't do the yasmin, my daughter had the most beautiful hair on the planet and because of face breakouts when she was 17 or so, a gyn put her on yasmin; it helped the acne and her skin is perfect, but when she stopped it, her hair fell out by the loads, it has never been the same since then, although she still has good hair, but she had great hair before..........yasmin is a poison, please don't start it.

10. Sandy

Sandy Member

Dislikes Received:
    As per spirolactone, I asked a transplant doctor about it and he said it doesn't help for frontal hair loss??? Has anyone seen this or had improvement on it from frontal hair loss.....?